rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 12 Replies | 1 Follower

tintenfish
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Bronze Member
tintenfish posted on Thu, Aug 6 2020 6:31 PM

Dear B&O enthusiasts

I have bought a used playmaker to connect my Beolab 18 with them to test the multiroom options. Up to now I am using a Beocenter 9500 due to the Beogram 9500 with them. As I have also several new multiroom devices i want to connect the old system too.

The firmware is from 2012 and it shows me to update in the B&O app, when I update the firmware it blinks red for two or three seconds and then it is normal again. The update did not happen as it always tells me to update again in the app. Also the playmaker is not shown in the products section for multiroom, only in the all products section.

Is there a way to save the playmaker from beeing thrown away? Does anyone have some experience? Thank you very much!

All Replies

Fansastic
Top 150 Contributor
The Netherlands
524 Posts
Gold Member
Hi, the Playmaker cannot be used in a multiroom setup. It can only be used as a airplay 1 device to stream to.

Regarding software it might help to factory reset the Playmaker first. If I remember correct there is a small reset button in the Playmaker.

Hope this helps

BV Eclipse 55 Brass - BL 18 Brass - BL 19 Brass - BL 3 White - BS Moment - BS 2 Brass - BV Horizon 48 - BS3000 - BS 3200 - BS Essence - BL 4000 - V1 40 Black - V1 40 White - BLC NL/ML - H6 -  H4 - E8 Motion - A8 Earphone - Beolit 12 - Beolit 15 - Beoplay A1 Green - Beoplay A3 White

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,304 Posts
Bronze Member

tintenfish:

Dear B&O enthusiasts

I have bought a used playmaker to connect my Beolab 18 with them to test the multiroom options. Up to now I am using a Beocenter 9500 due to the Beogram 9500 with them. As I have also several new multiroom devices i want to connect the old system too.

Is there a way to save the playmaker from beeing thrown away? Does anyone have some experience? Thank you very much!

Since you mention the Beocenter 9500, you could connect the PL output of the Playmaker to the Aux or the Tape2 input of the 9500.

You won’t be able to integrate that with your excisting ‘several new multiroom devices’ unless you have a NL/ML Converter in your setup as well.

But you will be able to Airplay to the Playmaker and listen on the BL18 through the BC9500.

(Beware - the Playmaker must be set to fixed line-out and it must be set to Option 0 for the best result).

You could even hide the Playmaker away - the Playmaker is best used with a network cable since it in some cases can be quite unreliable wireless.

This is how I used my Playmaker back when it was launched (now replaced with an Essence MK2).

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
1,978 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Thu, Aug 6 2020 9:32 PM

I used to use a Playmaker with my BC9500, but found it far too unreliable, whether wireless or wired.

I replaced it with an Airport Express (A1392) which is far more reliable, and has the added benefit of Airplay 2.

lawrencejmcook
Top 200 Contributor
401 Posts
Founder
I agree with the comments and suggestions of the previous posters. The Playmaker is best as an AirPlay device (best wired, not wireless) and will co-exist with multiple airplay devices. The sound quality is good.

But to address your question about the software update, my Playmaker Mk I (Type 2930) - even after a factory reset, and updating to the latest version 1.00.2485 dated 21Dec2012 - still tells me that there is an outstanding update. But it never goes to a higher version.

I ignore it, and I suggest that you do too.

I haven’t recently checked my Playmaker Mk II (Type 2970) so I’m unsure of the software version for that. 1.00.2662 maybe?

Lawrence
StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
989 Posts
Bronze Member

Quite agree, to most, Playmakers bring more pain than pleasure.

When a dealer we sent most of our Playmakers back for credit as the customer experiences in the main, were not good!

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,793 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Aug 6 2020 11:51 PM

One of the biggest downsides of the Playmaker is that they are too light to make an effective doorstop.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
989 Posts
Bronze Member

Jeff:

One of the biggest downsides of the Playmaker is that they are too light to make an effective doorstop.

Big Smile

That is why its better to use the weightier BeoLit 12, that lovely sounding speaker with the useless Playmaker built in.

EgonOlsen
Not Ranked
41 Posts
Bronze Member
This is very negative. My playmaker is in use since 2013. no problems at all. Airplay streaming very good. Also the my rega turntable is on that. And It is with aux on the beosound 9000. very good System.

By the way. I heard yesterday on the balcony music with my beolit 12. could it be possible that your wifi is bad. I am very proud for the bo products.
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,304 Posts
Bronze Member

I’d say to tintenfish' - since you already have the Playmaker, try it out for youself?

Make your own experiences.....my Playmaker has worked well.

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,304 Posts
Bronze Member

I’d say to tintenfish' - since you already have the Playmaker, try it out for yourself?

Make your own experiences.....my Playmaker has worked well.

MM

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,793 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Aug 8 2020 7:22 PM

StUrrock:

Jeff:

Big Smile

That is why its better to use the weightier BeoLit 12, that lovely sounding speaker with the useless Playmaker built in.

The Beolink Wireless 1 is a great doorstop, not heavy but somewhat wedge shaped. Maybe we should start a thread about which Beo products are the best doorstops.Stick out tongue

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
989 Posts
Bronze Member
StUrrock replied on Mon, Aug 10 2020 10:46 AM

EgonOlsen:
This is very negative. My playmaker is in use since 2013. no problems at all. Airplay streaming very good. Also the my rega turntable is on that. And It is with aux on the beosound 9000. very good System.

By the way. I heard yesterday on the balcony music with my beolit 12. could it be possible that your wifi is bad. I am very proud for the bo products.

Really happy that your products perform well for you, you are one of the lucky ones!!

My Wifi is excellent, thank you.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL