rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 16 Replies | 2 Followers

Shaune
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Bronze Member
Shaune posted on Tue, Aug 4 2020 1:43 PM

hello community,

I am new to the forum and to the B&O environment and I need some help.

In my parents' home there was a set of B&O equipment including Beovision Avant 32DVD, Beosound 3200 and the two speakers Beolab 4000. All was connected through the TV. Now the TV is dead and I am trying to make use of the remaining speakers and beosound with the tv from Samsung.

Ideally, I would like the speakers to be connected to TV and to Beosound.

I might need to buy some additional boxes to connect all together, but I am not sure what exactly I need to buy and how to connect everything.

Originally the tv was connected to the beosound and to the speakers with the powerlink and masterlink, obviously the new TVs don't have such inputs/outputs.

As a first step I've tried at least to connect the beosound with the powerlink from the speakers bypassing the b&o TV and it worked to some extent (I can turn on radio, play cd, choose song number), except for the fact that the remote didn't work and that I could not change the volume on the beosound (it seems to require the input from TV to change the volume settings?). What do I need to do to have the beosound controlled from the b&o remote and have it fully functional and not relying on TV anymore?

My second step would be to have the speakers connected to both - the TV and the beosound. It seems to me that BeoPlay S8 Connection HUB could have helped with this, but as I understand it is not produced anymore. Would you know what is the best device that would allow to connect all the pieces now?

And the final question - any ideas if it is still possible to repair the Beovision Avant? The led indicator still works, it reacts if you try to turn it on, it turns, etc...but the screen remains black and after 5 sec it turns off. I would guess it has something to do with the fuse. How could I find them in the TV and if any of those is broken is it still possible to buy a spare one? if the tv is not reparable nowadays is it possible to get use of the rotating mechanism and the tv speakers?

All Replies

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
1,978 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Tue, Aug 4 2020 6:18 PM

Shaune:
As a first step I've tried at least to connect the beosound with the powerlink from the speakers bypassing the b&o TV and it worked to some extent (I can turn on radio, play cd, choose song number), except for the fact that the remote didn't work and that I could not change the volume on the beosound (it seems to require the input from TV to change the volume settings?). What do I need to do to have the beosound controlled from the b&o remote and have it fully functional and not relying on TV anymore?

I think that I can help here - assuming your remote is a Beo4 (with the little screen)

The BS3200 is probably in the wrong A.OPT setting, where it will not respond to direct IR commands.

To resolve this:

Turn to standby/off.

On the Beo4, press the POWER button and LIST together.  Then press LIST until OPTION is shown, press GO (centre button), and then press LIST to show A.OPT.  Then press 1.  The power light on the BS3200 may blink to show that it has been accepted.

Now try the remote.

Secondly, you should be able to feed the audio output from the TV into the BS3200's AUX socket (and hence to the speakers), but first we need to know what audio outputs your TV has.  Our site sponsor Steve from Sounds Heavenly (foot of page) should be able to help with the correct cable(s), once we know more about the TV.

Hopefully others can help with the Avant repair questions.  I had a BV3 which is similar and had similar problems - ended up taking it to the dump!

EDIT:  And welcome to the forum!! Smile

Gary
Top 500 Contributor
Dublin, Ohio
98 Posts
Bronze Member
Gary replied on Tue, Aug 4 2020 9:23 PM

If the Avant 55 is a 2014 edition, good luck if the blank screen is the same issue as mine. I was told by a local  B&O store that the issue was the video engine and it would be approximately $1500.00 to repair. Unfortunately, mine wnt to the dump, too.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,304 Posts
Bronze Member

@Gary

The op states that it was a Beovision Avant 32DVD.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Shaune
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Bronze Member

Guy:

The BS3200 is probably in the wrong A.OPT setting, where it will not respond to direct IR commands.

To resolve this:

Turn to standby/off.

On the Beo4, press the POWER button and LIST together.  Then press LIST until OPTION is shown, press GO (centre button), and then press LIST to show A.OPT.  Then press 1.  The power light on the BS3200 may blink to show that it has been accepted.

Now try the remote.

Great, it works! Now BS works and this is already a great improvement.

The remote is Beo4.

Shaune
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Bronze Member

Guy:
Secondly, you should be able to feed the audio output from the TV into the BS3200's AUX socket (and hence to the speakers), but first we need to know what audio outputs your TV has.  Our site sponsor Steve from Sounds Heavenly (foot of page) should be able to help with the correct cable(s), once we know more about the TV.

in TV for audio there is an optical output.

Also many HDMI, USB ports, but I don't think it is relevant.

@steve could you help with the right cable?

Shaune
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Bronze Member

no, it's 200x edition 32 dvd. very old one...

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
1,978 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Tue, Aug 4 2020 10:23 PM

I'm glad that the remote now works!

Two setup options that I can think of:

1. Use a optical digital to analogue converter (like https://smile.amazon.co.uk/eSynic-Digital-Converter-Adapter-Headphone-2-1-CH-3-5mm-Audio-Output/dp/B00IXN6L3G/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=optical+to+analogue+audio&qid=1596575791&sr=8-5) and then connect to the BS3200s aux input with a lead like this: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Yilan-Premium-Adapter-Electrophonic-Olufsen/dp/B0778SPL2J/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=phono+to+5+pin+din&qid=1596575973&sr=8-3  (Sounds Heavenly would be able to provide far better quality once Steve's shop reopens).

2. Same D to A converter as above, and then add one of these: https://shop.oneremote.dk/shop/69116-powerlink-aux-adaptor/   This option would allow the TV and BS3200 to share the Beolabs, so you don't have to turn on the BS3200 to watch TV.  But I am not sure how you would control volume on the TV's optical output.

I am sure there are other threads with better solutions; perhaps someone else has a better idea.

Gregg
Top 500 Contributor
Colorado USA
120 Posts
Gold Member
Gregg replied on Wed, Aug 5 2020 12:59 AM

The heart of the Avant 32 is a digital electronics box (called the US Box in the US). This unit is also in the Beosystem 1 which are available second hand. It is a straightforward swap. If you can get one cheaply it is worth a try. 

Shaune
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Bronze Member

thank you for your ideas, Guy. Let's see what Steve will advise.

I wonder, once the connection is established, then no matter what I send to the tv (cable tv, apple music, or telephone streaming) it shall go through the BO speakers?

And are there any means to stream the music from the phone or from the PC directly to the speakers without involving the tv, or for this another equipment is required?

Shaune
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Bronze Member

Gregg:
The heart of the Avant 32 is a digital electronics box (called the US Box in the US). This unit is also in the Beosystem 1 which are available second hand. It is a straightforward swap. If you can get one cheaply it is worth a try. 

thanks, Gregg, I will have a look for the Beosystem 1.

Do you know if there are any technical schemes available showing the construction of the Avant 32?

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
1,849 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Shaune,

Welcome to Beoworld!  If you are keeping the Avant 32 TV, the simplest option here is to connect the TV to the Beosound with a Masterlink cable and then you can connect the speakers to the TV to play both TV, CD and Radio to the speakers.  If your TV is a version that doesn't have a Masterlink socket fitted, or if you wish to use the newer TV instead, please email me a photo of the socket panel on the TV via my sponsor link below and I can advise on alternative connections.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Robin
Top 500 Contributor
Nrw
106 Posts
Bronze Member
Robin replied on Thu, Aug 6 2020 10:19 AM
Hello Steve, im pretty sure, that his modern, non B&O television dosn’t have a ml socket ;-)

Optician our or hdmi would be the sockets, he can use
Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
1,849 Posts
Gold Member

Sorry Robin,

I had replied to the thread before my first coffee of the day......I have re-read this and updated my post accordingly!  Thanks for spotting this!

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Shaune
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Bronze Member
Shaune replied on Thu, Aug 6 2020 11:08 AM

Steve at Sounds Heavenly:
If your TV is a version that doesn't have a Masterlink socket fitted, or if you wish to use the newer TV instead, please email me a photo of the socket panel on the TV via my sponsor link below and I can advise on alternative connections

Hi Steve, I've sent you the photo through your website.

We have already bought a new TV, as I don't think it would be possible to repair the old BO TV. So I need an alternative connection.

Also I wonder if such new connection could support the direct streaming from my telephone or other wireless device to the speakers bypassing the beosound and tv. But this is just nice to have feature. The main goal is to connect the new TV to the speakers, keeping the beosound connected as well.

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL