rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 16 Replies | 1 Follower

crossbytje
Top 500 Contributor
188 Posts
Bronze Member
crossbytje posted on Sun, Aug 2 2020 8:48 PM

Hi all,

Today, I was playing some music through my Beolab 9s when a childhood memory song came on. I turned up the volume, admittedly very high. We were sitting outside and the speakers are right next to my terrace. They normally face the sitting area and as I turned one of them toward the terrace, it just stopped playing. No led, nothing.

I left it unplugged for a couple of hours now but to no avail. Still nothing. I tried another power cable but the led doesn't light up.

They were not particularly hot when this happened, but they were pumping out music really loud for a couple of minutes. My other speaker is still ok.

I'm afraid I did something terrible :(. I guess there is some protection built in s.t. they shut down before breaking down, but I can't get it up anymore..

Any suggestions what I could check? Am i looking at a costly repair?

It's been a sad day.

Beolit 12 - Beolab 4 pc (dead now) - Beoplay H5 - Beolab 9 - BeoRemote One BT - Beoplay M3

All Replies

Dante
Top 500 Contributor
Sao Paulo - Brazil
151 Posts
Bronze Member
Dante replied on Mon, Aug 3 2020 4:27 AM

As far as I remember BL9 led turns to orange when protection is activated.

If you are seeing no led, then maybe you have a blown fuse...

Ingo
Top 500 Contributor
Da wo die Weser einen großen Bogen macht
139 Posts
Bronze Member
Ingo replied on Mon, Aug 3 2020 9:22 AM

Good mornung,

I feel sorry with you, but maybe it's not a big thing.

If you have the service manual looking for the Fuse T 5A, this part could be blown.

The other possible causes, I hope it's not, are the power supply or the amplifieer, that's expensive, ask your dealer.

Ingo

BeoVision Eclipse 55“ wallmounted, BeoRemote One BT; BeoSound 9000(ex-weiss), BeoLab 9; BeoLab 8000 rot; Beosound 1 grün; BeoPlay H6; Beo4

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,279 Posts
Bronze Member
I also believe that this isn’t a big issue.

Seems like the cables might have gotten loose. Can you try switching your speakers so that the other speaker uses the working cables as a test?

I would believe that the power cable is loose especially. Try pushing and moving it a bit. Maybe it will help. Look at the red light in the speaker if it turns on or not as you try to move the cable in it’s socket.

If it goes on and off it’s probably loose.

I believe that it’s just something like that and probably just needs re attachment easily by yourself.

Beolab 50, Beolab 20, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9i, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Avant 55, BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

crossbytje
Top 500 Contributor
188 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks for the suggestions!

I did try another power cable and another power outlet. They don't react at all. Since it happend while moving I also thought of a loose cable, but the connections are tightly held together so not much movement there.

When the power supply of my Lab4s failed, they still produced a high pitched sound and yellow pulsating LED. 

I downloaded the service manual and located the F1 fuse and it's a T5AH250VP. Had to undress the speaker and take off the "999 Module, Amplifier", what a job just to get to the fuse.

I tested it with a multimeter and it remains silent. Just went past 2 general/DIY stores but none had these fuses in stock. Is any fuse labelled T 5A good? I noticed in the shop the 'H250VP' part was never on the label..

I may have to order from a webshop and will hope it arrives soon.

Beolit 12 - Beolab 4 pc (dead now) - Beoplay H5 - Beolab 9 - BeoRemote One BT - Beoplay M3

355f
Not Ranked
cambridge/london
69 Posts
Bronze Member
355f replied on Mon, Aug 3 2020 10:53 AM

dont wish to be the bearer of bad news and hope a new fuse fixes it.

In my case the fuse kept  blowing and a new power supply c £400 was required

355f
Not Ranked
cambridge/london
69 Posts
Bronze Member
355f replied on Mon, Aug 3 2020 10:53 AM

dont wish to be the bearer of bad news and hope a new fuse fixes it.

In my case the fuse kept  blowing and a new power supply c £400 was required

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
666 Posts
Bronze Member

It sounds a little high perhaps but I would be happy paying £400 to get these amazing speakers back working again. I suppose anything that is expensive to start with is always going to be expensive to maintain; part and parcel of buying into and owning B&O. I sold my lab 9s but miss them a lot. Best speakers from B&O I have ever owned and loved the design.

It is an interesting point about protection though. To what extent are speakers protected if one does keep increasing the volume to test how loud they can go? I always get a bit nervous to go too high but I would I like to out of curiosity. The only speakers I have now are the BV-46/BP-V1 tv speakers and my recently acquired BeoSound 2. Would the BeoSound 2 speaker cut out if I pushed it too far, and how safely?

BV11-46, BV8-32, V1-32, BS2, P6, A1, E8, BR1, Essence

crossbytje
Top 500 Contributor
188 Posts
Bronze Member

Did 3 more shops without succes. Ordered a box of 10 fuses online, shipping was more than the fuses.

Let's hope this solves the problem, I've only had my Beolab 9s since January and I'm very much in love with them.

crossbytje
Top 500 Contributor
188 Posts
Bronze Member

It's a sad day :(

Damn, I receive a pack of fuses today, but they immediately blow as soon as I plug in the power lead. There will be something else going on.

I guess I'll have to bring it to my dealer, or are there other options for repair?

Apparently, you should not pump up the volume too far, but the question is, how far is too far?

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,105 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Thu, Aug 6 2020 12:00 PM

crossbytje:

Apparently, you should not pump up the volume too far, but the question is, how far is too far?

One would or should argue that a speaker of that expense should auto-cut-off before it blows up! It shouldn't be left the user to figure the limit of the speaker and go beyond it at their peril.

crossbytje
Top 500 Contributor
188 Posts
Bronze Member

Exactly my thought. But here I am, with a blown speaker Sad.

Mikipidia
Top 75 Contributor
1,496 Posts
Gold Member
Normally it would go in to protection mode before it blows, i think there is something else going on preventing it from doing that. Probably a bad psu, not that that helps atm.

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beolab 3's, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube (finally Stick out tongue )

https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Old: Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

355f
Not Ranked
cambridge/london
69 Posts
Bronze Member
355f replied on Thu, Aug 6 2020 1:17 PM

As indicated in my first reply, I had the same issue.

In my case i was listening at a very low level and i could hear the fuse pop, I doubt your porblems have been caused by high level listening

Switch mode power supplies have there advantages but they do fail like anything else

Esax
Top 500 Contributor
226 Posts
Bronze Member
Esax replied on Thu, Aug 6 2020 8:36 PM
The fuse don’t fail because high volume. The tweeter does. I’d listened to my previous beolab 9 at max volume for a hole metallica concert. An several more times. I blown the tweeter three times. The system can not protect the tweeter. Not on the beolab 1 or 3 either.

Beovision 7-55 MK1 red, Beolab 10 red. Beolab 50, all black. Beolab 17 broken ice. Beolab transmitter. Apple tv4 and apple express 2.

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL