Horizon update?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 45 Replies | 0 Followers

Sibbi
Top 500 Contributor
84 Posts
Bronze Member
Sibbi posted on Fri, Jul 31 2020 11:26 AM

Now that LG is making oleds in 48. Do you think that we will get an updated Horizon?

All Replies

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
800 Posts
Gold Member

There is a Horizon refresh in October.

BV11-46, BV8-32, V1-32, BS2, P6, A1, H95, E8, BR1, Beo4, Essence

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
800 Posts
Gold Member

mrCTE:
It looks very good, and so much more refined than the rehash of old ideas that STB brackets churn out.

To be fair I think STB offer some very good solutions and the workmanship and quality is high end. I am often put off by the pricing though personally. If it were cheaper I probably would have bought more over the years.

Sibbi
Top 500 Contributor
84 Posts
Bronze Member
Sibbi replied on Wed, Aug 19 2020 11:15 AM

That sounds great, wil it get an oled panel?

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
800 Posts
Gold Member

Personally I am hoping it will because then it will be a consideration for me for a new tv. The dealer I spoke to didn’t want to reveal too much, which I fully understand. He was just advising me to wait until October for the new model before making a large tv/sound bar purchase. I told him I will, so that’s all I know I am afraid. I would be very surprised (and disappointed) if it didn’t I must admit, and I wouldn’t buy it in this case.

PeterBOBP
Top 500 Contributor
131 Posts
Bronze Member
also interesting:

https://www.onlineplayshop.nl/lg-oled48cx6la-beosound-stage-vloerstand.html
John
Top 200 Contributor
Australia
321 Posts
Bronze Member
John replied on Thu, Aug 20 2020 8:18 AM

The Beonic Man:

Personally I am hoping it will because then it will be a consideration for me for a new tv. The dealer I spoke to didn’t want to reveal too much, which I fully understand. He was just advising me to wait until October for the new model before making a large tv/sound bar purchase. I told him I will, so that’s all I know I am afraid. I would be very surprised (and disappointed) if it didn’t I must admit, and I wouldn’t buy it in this case.

It's very interesting news.

Nothing lasts for ever, and I've had 8 very happy years with my V1-40 - BUT - sooner or later electronics in things like TV's can die and something like an updated Horizon, with an OLED panel, dolby vision and HDR 10 + and hopefully an updated speaker system would be an excellent TV - approaching a true replacement for the V1 at hopefully sensible money.

The Eclipse is magnificent - but I'd rather spend serious money on speakers than a TV whose lifetime is quite limited as the technology and specifications change so rapidly.

Certainly making that decision when I bought the V1-40 allowed me to purchase the Beolab 9's - which hopefully will well outlast the TV in terms of tech and as a foundation for the system.

Cheers and thanks. :-)

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
2,129 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, Aug 20 2020 10:07 AM

LG panels dont support HDR 10+, so I wouldn't expect support for it, given B&O use LG panels.

Not that I think it matters, as HDR 10+ is clearly dying out, and from a weak starting point too.

John:

The Beonic Man:

It's very interesting news.

Nothing lasts for ever, and I've had 8 very happy years with my V1-40 - BUT - sooner or later electronics in things like TV's can die and something like an updated Horizon, with an OLED panel, dolby vision and HDR 10 + and hopefully an updated speaker system would be an excellent TV - approaching a true replacement for the V1 at hopefully sensible money.

The Eclipse is magnificent - but I'd rather spend serious money on speakers than a TV whose lifetime is quite limited as the technology and specifications change so rapidly.

Certainly making that decision when I bought the V1-40 allowed me to purchase the Beolab 9's - which hopefully will well outlast the TV in terms of tech and as a foundation for the system.

Cheers and thanks. :-)

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,338 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Thu, Aug 20 2020 6:05 PM

Sibbi:

That sounds great, wil it get an oled panel?

Bit confused. I told everyone a Horizon update was coming in Q4 back in May :)

Yes, the plan is a basic upgrade. I was told it's likely to be a panel update with the existing design.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,338 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Thu, Aug 20 2020 6:06 PM

moxxey:

Sibbi:

Now that LG is making oleds in 48. Do you think that we will get an updated Horizon?

You must have missed it, but a prominent UK dealer told me that B&O had prioritised a Horizon refresh as their top priority, aiming for September/October, so it could be very likely you'll see an updated panel soon.

See ^ Big Smile

laseralex
Top 500 Contributor
232 Posts
Gold Member

moxxey:
Yes, the plan is a basic upgrade. I was told it's likely to be a panel update with the existing design.

It seems they will need to slash price or significantly upgrade audio if they want more than a small handful of sales.

Beovision Horizon: $6,250 USD

• 48" LG panel
  • 2 x 30 watts amplifier driving 2.5” full range speakers

Beosound Stage plus LG 48" CX: $3,200 USD

• 48" LG Panel
  • 4 x 50 watts amplifiers driving 4" woofers
  • 4 x 50 watts amplifiers driving 1.5" mid ranges
  • 3 x 50 watts amplifiers driving 3/4" tweeters

So for roughly half the price you get (presumably) the same panel, but 10x the audio power.

I really love the design of the Horizon and would pay a premium to get it versus a Stage and separate OLED.  But I cant see paying 2x more to get 1/10 the audio.

Sources: 2x Beosound Moment • 4x Beosound Essence Mk II
Speakers: 3x Beolab 8000 • 2x Beolab 6000 • 2x Beolab 3 • 3x Beolab 2
Integrated:  1x Beosound 2 • 1x Beosound Level • 4x BeoPlay M5 • 1x BeoPlay A6
Control:  16x* Essence Remote  • 1x Beoremote Halo

* Yes, really! 🤦‍♂️

Top 150 Contributor
521 Posts
Bronze Member
1990 replied on Fri, Aug 21 2020 8:12 AM

I still can't see a panel update happening, at least switching from TP-Vision to an LG OLED. Maybe there would be room to make the 48CX "slide in"?

Surely the added value for the Horizon vs Stage/LG would be the surround decoder (and PUC?), plus the included BR One. Furthermore the stands for Horizon are cheaper than the new Stage stand :)

Mikipidia
Top 50 Contributor
2,078 Posts
Bronze Member
If it’s an update i find it hard to believe it’ll be oled because of allstuff on the back of an LG and where the b&o bit would go, also the lack of 48” screens being available to anyone.

If it’s something else completely, as in replacement, oled can be more likely but you run into the same issues.

For margins i think it’s be mostlikely an lg nano cell panel as they’re extremely good too.

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 28's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay Portal, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Mikipedi4 on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/mikipedi4

Mikipedia on Intagram: https://www.instagram.com/mikipedi4/

Old: Beosound 9000 mk3, Beolab 3's, Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,867 Posts
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Fri, Aug 21 2020 10:45 AM
1990:

I still can't see a panel update happening, at least switching from TP-Vision to an LG OLED. Maybe there would be room to make the 48CX "slide in"?

Surely the added value for the Horizon vs Stage/LG would be the surround decoder (and PUC?), plus the included BR One. Furthermore the stands for Horizon are cheaper than the new Stage stand :)

Maybe I’m confused, but TP-Vision is making the OS and not the screen, right?

I recall the screen in Horizon to be a Samsung panel.

Assume that could be replaced by a LG OLED panel, or?

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

Sibbi
Top 500 Contributor
84 Posts
Bronze Member
Sibbi replied on Fri, Aug 21 2020 10:57 AM

Moxey I know, but an upgraded panel could be a newer version of the Lg Led panels. In wich case I am not interested. But if it is an Oled panel that would be interesting.

Fansastic
Top 150 Contributor
The Hague, The Netherlands
736 Posts
Gold Member
Hiort:

Maybe I’m confused, but TP-Vision is making the OS and not the screen, right?

I recall the screen in Horizon to be a Samsung panel.

Assume that could be replaced by a LG OLED panel, or?

I understood that the Horizon panel (and BV14) is a TP-vision / Philips panel and therefore Android based OS, where the OG Avant/11/V1 are samsung panels with B&O OS.

If B&O is going to introduce a Horizon mk2, they can only come with a LG panel, not a newer Android based panel. The line up with LG/Stage - Horizon MK2 - Eclipse MK2 - Harmony looks good imo and a logical product / price strategy to get customers back to the B&O ecosystem. As said earlier the Horizon must be upgraded both panel- and soundwise.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen : Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom : M3 Library : A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom : M5 Office : Beocom 2 Travel : Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

BV Harmony 65 / Eclipse 55 / BL 50 / 19 / 18 / BS 2 all brass

BV Horizon 48 / V1 40 / BL 17 / Beoplay S3 all black

V1 / BL 3 / BS Essence MKII / Beoplay A3 all white

BS Moment / BS 3000 / BS 3200 / BL 400 all silver

Headphones / bluetooth speakers / BLC NL-ML / BLGateway

I know…B&O virus has grown on me ! 

Page 3 of 4 (46 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL