Converting DVD1 mk1 (type 4620) to region free/ multi-region

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 14 Replies | 2 Followers

duncanhall
Not Ranked
9 Posts
Bronze Member
duncanhall posted on Thu, Jul 16 2020 8:33 AM

I am in the habit of keeping DVD 1 MK1( type 4620 / Philips) players alive and also using the internals of these ( transport/laser PCB’s ) to keep my Avant DVD RF 32 working in the DVD department. I have been successful with this a few times in the past using DVD1 laser/transport boards that have already been converted to multiregion.

I would like to know how to make the DVD MK 1 ( type 4620) PERMANENTLY multi region to play all country discs without further changes. I know this is possible because my dealer here in Belgium used to do it perfectly in a matter of a few minutes whilst I waited and charge me 50 euros back in the day when the machines were younger. I would happily still do this with him but he can’t find the information on his computer these days so regrettably can’t help.

This is particularly valuable info. for me because before I take the main laser/transport PCB from a working DVD1 mk1 (4620) to make a transplant repair in a failing DVD in the Avant I need it to be multi-region because this coding is stored on that board.

I hope you can help and with that said I thank you in anticipation of your kind help,

Duncan.

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE

All Replies

PWH
Not Ranked
32 Posts
Bronze Member
PWH replied on Thu, Jul 16 2020 9:15 AM

At your own risk.. Region 0 or region 9 should be all regions

Info from the document here section 5.1

http://www.beoinfo.nl/manuals/DVD_1_Service_Multi.pdf

Region setup- Use the buttons on DVD 1. Remove CD if such is loaded. Then disconnect DVD 1 from the mains. Press and hold << and >>and then reconnect DVD 1 to the mains. The current setting will appear in the display.Use ln to change Region number. Press PLAY to store the desired number. Wait approx. 15 sec. until the screen goes blue.Please note: The number of times Region setting can be changed is limited. If this limit is exceeded DVD 1 will cease to function.Country and Region setting:Australia - 4; Canada - 1; Estonia - 5; Ghana - 5; Hong Kong - 3; Indonesia - 3; Latvia - 5; Lithuania - 5; Malaysia - 3; Morocco - 5; Nigeria - 5; Singapore - 3; Taiwan - 8; Thailand - 3; USA - 1

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
1,963 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Thu, Jul 16 2020 10:10 AM

For a permanent change you need to fit a 'Keymaster' circuit board - that's probably what your dealer used to do.  It's a very small circuit board with a few small solder connections.

I bought one on eBay a while back - I'll try to find more details or a part number.

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
1,963 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Fri, Jul 17 2020 8:41 AM

I found a copy of the picture of the DVD1 KeyMaster from the eBay listing when I bought mine:

And I have a pdf copy of the fitting instructions.  If anyone needs them for reference, PM me.

duncanhall
Not Ranked
9 Posts
Bronze Member

Hello Guy,

Thanks for your ( and others) reply and effort, it is much appreciated.

However I can assure you that neither of the  two DVD1 units that I had converted to multiregion by the B&O dealer back in the early 2000's had any extra electronics fitted into them ( I still have both units and have checked all ). To further confirm this I have, as originally stated used the main 'monoboard' under the laser/transport mechanism from these DVD 1's transplanted into my Avant 32 DVD RF television to repair a failed internal DVD. The multiregion facility has always been transferred to the Avant along with the board from the DVD1 (previously 'converted' by the dealer in about 2 minutes whilst I waited).

This proves that it is just a matter of some sort of programming/hack that changes the stored region coding within the electronics on that board whilst remaining in the DVD1.

I know that this so called ASD-11 laser/transport/board combination was used in a few contemporary Philips machines such as DVD 612 etc. It is possible to make these Philips machines multiregion by using the OneForAll 6 universal remote control and a lengthy code input. Obviously this is one way to achieve a multiregion board by fitting it to an old Philips player, performing the multiregion hack, then re-fitting it to the DVD1 or Avant DVD of choice.

This may be the circuitous route I will have to travel to keep these machines going into the future but it it seems a shame that the clearly possible conversion within the DVD1 can not be made available to us all to keep them working.

I also have the later DVD1 mk2 (4261 Pioneer internals) which are not compatible with the Avant with Philips internal DVD. I have not yet come across one of these units that has been made multi-region. Has anyone else?

It is clear from the above that the fault that ultimately stops these players working is contained within the electronics on the 'monoboard' under the mech. I have never been able to find any visual clues of failure on any of my known failed boards. There are many surface mount components and chips on the board making a component level repair tricky to diagnose, let alone repair.

Out of approximately six machines that have failed then I have fixed, all have been due to the failure of the 'monoboard'. I have cleaned, lubed, swapped etc. mechanisms and laser units and they have never been the failure point. I have always subsequently checked all these items by marrying them to a known working board etc. All still good. Obviously six failures with board failures does not discount anybody elses alternative problems with transports etc.

As always, any further info. would be appreciated and I will be sure to post anything may help in the future.

Cheers, Duncan.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
11,847 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Jul 17 2020 10:13 AM

I am not particularly experienced with the video stuff, but I do seem to remember something about holding the << and >> buttons while connecting mains.
Then it shows the region code and you can change it using the same buttons and play.
I suppose trying won't hurt anything?

You should be aware, that after region switching PAL discs will be played in PAL format and NTSC in NTSC.
Your TV should support both or it makes no sense.

Martin

EDIT: Found this:
https://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/5007.aspx

duncanhall
Not Ranked
9 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Martin,

The good news is that your memory is correct. The bad news is that the method you describe only allows the region to be changed from one country code or the other and not multiregion for any disc forever. This is made even more restrictive by the fact that this can only be performed up to 3 times on any DVD1 before it 'locks' up and will not play any discs.

For anybody who would be satisfied by changing the region only once or twice this method is fine. It can be found fully detailed in the factory service manual that is freely available to download from many websites.

Be careful however to bear in mind that given the age of these units the region may have been changed in the past and the 'next' time you do it maybe the last chance.

There is no explanation in the manual of how to 'unlock' a locked player as this used to be something the dealers would have to do for you for a fee.

DVD1 Russian roulette anyone?

Surely somebody knows what the dealer technicians used to do, please don't take this to the grave. I would not think this is a source of revenue for B&O anymore so a question would be, does anybody have friendly connections with B&O and therefore maybe able to get the answer to the multiregion puzzle?

Cheers,

Duncan.

altist
Not Ranked
51 Posts
Gold Member
altist replied on Fri, Jul 17 2020 1:48 PM
Could it be that as the decoding and mechanicals were from Philips that maybe whatever multi region code works for a Philips player might well work here? Usually number sequences etc.
Fritz
Top 500 Contributor
213 Posts
Bronze Member
Fritz replied on Sat, Jul 18 2020 9:59 AM

Hi everyone
B&O made a workaround concerning codefree DVD 1 MK1, MK II,.
They made a special BEO 4 remote, that did the job by using a special key sequence.
Actually it worked on all B&O DVD systems, but not Blu-Ray.
This is/was the only way to do it.
DVD 2, one could enter a special number sequence to make it code free
Brgds/Fritz

duncanhall
Not Ranked
9 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Fritz,

Sounds interesting and likely given that it seems that no 'hacks' have ever been posted on the web. Obviously this means finding a dealer who has this remote and knows how to use it.

Thanks for the info. and your effort.

Cheers,

Duncan.

Fritz
Top 500 Contributor
213 Posts
Bronze Member
Fritz replied on Sat, Jul 18 2020 5:33 PM

Duncan/Fritz

If you can find a working KeyMaster, that will work also.
Is was a private company in Struer that made this KeyMaster. Think the rest.
The B&O made the workaround with BEO4, due to the KeyMaster could be a warrenty issue.

duncanhall
Not Ranked
9 Posts
Bronze Member

HI Fritz,

Understood!

I have ordered a couple of old Philips units with the same ASD 1 transport/laser/monoboard ( Philips DVD 612 ) and an old OneForAll 6 (urc7652) universal remote control. With this combination I should be able to perform the multiregion programming of the 'monoboard' whilst it is still in the Philips player then transfer it to the relevant B&O DVD1 or Avant DVD unit.

It is possible that the monoboard/transport from these players is also compatible with the B&O units.

I will post all the results of this experiment when completed.

Cheers,

Duncan.

Fritz
Top 500 Contributor
213 Posts
Bronze Member
Fritz replied on Sun, Jul 19 2020 8:24 AM

Duncan/Fritz

Pls note that DVD MK I, the unit is software controlled from the PWR supply.
The keyMaster then informs the software that the region code ia OK and bypassing the "burnedin" region code on the ASM 1 board. The BEO4 software workaround does the same, by instructing the controller to accept all return DVD regions Codes from the ASM1 module.

duncanhall
Not Ranked
9 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Again,

My experience is that when I take only the 'monoboard' that is attached directly beneath the transport/laser mech. from a machine that has already been converted to multiregion by the dealer with no extra circuit fitted, then fit it to another DVD1 or indeed my Avant DVD that was not multiregion beforehand, those units become multiregion from then on with no other modifications or procedures, thus proving to me that the multiregion coding is stored permanently and exclusively on that 'monoboard' itself.

This I discoverd by accident when I had to install one of these boards from a DVD1 (dealer converted to multiregion) into my Avant DVD because the internal DVD had stopped working (no power to laser). With DVD1 board fitted, the laser power was restored and all DVD's could be read including all regions whereas beforehand my Avant DVD would only play region 2 DVD's. I have since performed this a few times to restore failing B&O DVD players as previously stated.

Having said all that, it does not mean that there are not alternative ways to achieve the same result. So I value all of the info. that you have posted for increasing the knowledge available to me and others.

Cheers,

Duncan.

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
1,963 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sun, Jul 19 2020 11:04 AM

For info - here's a photo of a fitted Keymaster.  It's a bit fuzzy as it's taken from the fitting instruction pdf.  These describe the board as the MPEG board.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL