Status of the Harmony

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 0 Followers

kawo
Top 500 Contributor
109 Posts
Founder
kawo posted on Thu, Jul 16 2020 6:16 AM

First, as a proud owner of a 65" Harmony with smoked Oak panels, I only can say how impressed I am by the whole kit. It has this kind of magic (not to much, not to little) to feel like a true B&O experience on a day to day use. Also the sound does not disappoint, it is actually really good. I owned tons of different B&O TV's starting from a BV3, BV6, BV7-32 to a BV4-50. BV1's are still in the bedrooms.

Second, some observations (I guess other owners might have discovered as well) after more than a month of living with it.

Currently it sits on the floor stand, I have the wall bracket as well and hopefully the next couple of weeks it will move to the wall. I did not put the cover on floor plate so it is actually black which I like much more. The aluminums/bronze/brass cover adds to much of an extra for my tase, so to have nice black cover as an option would be nice.

The C9 panel was wall mounted before with the Stage, with the Harmony it moves away from the wall quite a bit. In our setup we have a open dining and sitting room, so I think it is fair to say that the side view might not the best for the Harmony.

BL5 as front, 2 pairs of BL3 in the back, two are wired two are connected with WISA. I have an other pair of BL4 which will be mounted on the ceiling in the future.

The cable management is OK, but not more. With the GX series I guess it will get better, as well with the extra cover that comes with the 88" version. If you wire you're 7.0.2, have 2 HDMI sources with PUC cables to connect these are a lot cables to be tunneld through the cable management and to be moved up and down.

Also quite impressive is how the footprint of a big TV is covered by the panels and sitting on the floor shrinks and does not dominate the wall. When you see the the 77" and the 65" in the showroom, even the 77" looks not to big, but at home... I might upgrade to a 77" later, but Wife needs some time to adjust to the size :-) 

On my wishlist for B&O for a potential updated version:

- multi channel room calibration, I think this is a big miss by B&O

- fix this 5.1 vs 7.1 input depending if you connect the sources to the sound center or the panel

- why not have HDMI -CEC as an option from the sound center if you do not want to run an extra cable and happy with the CEC functions 

- ability to upgrade the sound center when new formats arrive (both audio and video)

- same for the brackets to mount LG panels on top of the stand so you can upgrade in the future as LG has a new line up every year

- more colors :-)  

So overall I am very happy, TrueImage does an excellent job to fill the room with sound and OLED is just perfect. I think the best TV set on the market. Not more, not less.

All Replies

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,169 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks for that review - yes, the Harmony is a remarkable piece of A/V kit.

May I suggest - if you want to wall mount it - that you mount it relatively low, so that it just seems to float above the floor.

From all the ‘versions’ I have seen, that looks far better, than when they are mounted too high.

Have fun with your impressive setup :-)

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

trackbeo
Top 200 Contributor
349 Posts
Bronze Member

But if *too* low, be prepared for a bit of tight cable-fitting: During BeoTalk episode #104, which replayed Stig's Harmony 77 solo mounting video -- an "exercise" both figuratively and literally -- I believe Christian K. text-commented something like: "...but be careful because at such a low height, the instruction that tells you to tilt the frame forward cannot be performed, because the front edge is already too close to the floor."  I'm paraphrasing, but if you're about to do this, it might be worth viewing, with comments turned on.  Regardless, Stig's extra-low wall-mount (www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2jS-Orimkk) does look delicious! 

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,462 Posts
Bronze Member

Wow, that's a good review. 

I have been thinking of the Harmony and it's growing on me.

I also like the Eclipse, but i don't want a 3 year old panel.

I heard that the Harmony is taking a stock C9/CX, whereas the Eclipse had a modified "connector", so it should be able to take future panels. 

Also you make good points for B&O to consider for future update, but what do you mean by multi channel room calibration?  Do you mean that you can't extend the sound experience to other rooms?  Or do you mean something else?

I like the option of using CEC, why have a separate cable if HDMI can already do it , as well as the upgrades 

I wrote to SkiniPlay last week to ask if they are considering covers for the Harmony.  :-) 

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
2,398 Posts
Gold Member
Duels replied on Thu, Jul 16 2020 10:20 AM
Aussie Michael:

I have been thinking of the Harmony and it's growing on me.

Now you’ve said it out loud you know it’s just a matter of time........

I look forward to seeing pics in due course.
Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,462 Posts
Bronze Member
Duels:

Now you’ve said it out loud you know it’s just a matter of time........

I look forward to seeing pics in due course.

Oh no lol. Big Smile

I am waiting on my refund from Qantas for my cancelled European (corona tour) holiday which was supposed to be for London, Milan, Hamburg, Vienna, Istanbul, Dubai that was for August.

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
2,398 Posts
Gold Member
Duels replied on Thu, Jul 16 2020 12:45 PM
Aussie Michael:

Oh no lol.

I am waiting on my refund from Qantas for my cancelled European (corona tour) holiday which was supposed to be for London, Milan, Hamburg, Vienna, Istanbul, Dubai that was for August.

That would have been quite a trip!
kawo
Top 500 Contributor
109 Posts
Founder
kawo replied on Thu, Jul 16 2020 1:28 PM

Regarding the hight/space from the floor for the wall mount I am with MM, lower is better! But i also see the challenge with the tilt modus to access the sound center for cables. The wall mount kit comes with an arm to mount underneath the bracket to help to bring it back in the final position, to avoid pushing back holding the panels or the screen. manuel says you should have at least 10cm gap to the floor. As this whole set is much heaver that it looks, I guess I will follow the advice...

kawo
Top 500 Contributor
109 Posts
Founder
kawo replied on Thu, Jul 16 2020 1:30 PM

And with the multi channel room compansation I mean to have a Audessey or Dirac type of calibration system as almost all decent AV receiver have.

mbee
Top 50 Contributor
Paris, France
1,736 Posts
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Fri, Jul 17 2020 10:27 AM

As we’re talking about the status of the Harmony, has the audio mode display improved since its release? I mean does it shows the covers of Deezer (integrated) or Airplay for instance, or is the visual still limited to radio stations?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL