Bang and Olufsen Collective

rated by 0 users
This post has 46 Replies | 2 Followers

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,919
Bronze Member
Razlaw Posted: Wed, Jul 15 2020 12:25 AM
Noticed this on the B and O web page. Thought it might be of interest to some.

Sorry if it is old news and I had missed it.

https://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/story/bangolufsen-collective

Beolab 50s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 13,169
Bronze Member

Thanks - didn’t see that either. Must be relatively new.

Basicly that is what I have been doing for ages....only I have no Instagram account.

So, won’t be able to join —- guess I am just a Beoworld oldfag ;-)

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

kimhav
Top 500 Contributor
Malmo, Sweden
Posts 220
Gold Member
kimhav replied on Wed, Jul 15 2020 8:03 AM

@MM Not you're not the only oldfaq then on this site since I won't touch Facebook or Instagram (being part of FB) even with a stick. So Yes it's pity. Then again, could be worth submitting if you can show a profile on home page or something; they might be willing to consider who knows.

Peter the Biker
Top 100 Contributor
Eastwestfalia
Posts 899
Gold Member

Reading the FAQs I found this:

Do you have to be active on Instagram? No. You can be active on TikTok, YouTube, Twitter or Facebook, too.

Happy influencing!

Peter the biker

beojeff
Top 75 Contributor
USA
Posts 1,699
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Wed, Jul 15 2020 11:27 AM

Millemissen:

Basicly that is what I have been doing for ages....only I have no Instagram account.

MM

"***" should never be used as it is offensive to gay members of this forum such as myself.

Mikipidia
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,351
Gold Member
Mikipidia replied on Wed, Jul 15 2020 11:50 AM
We can’t say “old” in case it’s offensive to ol*** people on here?Stick out tongue

It’s a british english saying btw, fags are cigarrets & cigars, so tobacco in other words.

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beolab 3's, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube (finally Stick out tongue )

https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Old: Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,462
Bronze Member
In the annual report on page 15 under “reignite brand, marketing & sales” they are wanting to engage in brand collaborations and influencers.

I guess this is an extension of that.

Influencers, pfft.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 13,169
Bronze Member

beojeff:

Millemissen:

MM

"***" should never be used as it is offensive to gay members of this forum such as myself.

Sorry for that - I did not mean in any sense to offend anybody - not you or anyone else.

I was not familiar with that twist of that word - was more into what Miki wrote....I’m just not that modern, and I guess you understand what I meant.

Words are definitely dangerous nowadays.

MM

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 13,169
Bronze Member

Peter the Biker:

Reading the FAQs I found this:

Do you have to be active on Instagram? No. You can be active on TikTok, YouTube, Twitter or Facebook, too.

Happy influencing!

Yes, I did notice that later on - YouTube would do the job.

So maybe there is still a chance for me to be part of the modern influencer community ;-)))

MM

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,656
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Wed, Jul 15 2020 7:52 PM

Good luck with that! Any social media "influencer" I'm aware of is typically a self centred narcissist who would change their opinion at the drop of a (sponsored) hat!

Why do b&o think this will sway people when even Paul McCartney was shunned when he was used as a promotional tool - unless of course the market is now those that can no longer think for themselves! Relying on being fashionable is a dangerous strategy.

Ban boring signatures!

trackbeo
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 349
Bronze Member
trackbeo replied on Wed, Jul 15 2020 11:09 PM

I also thought he was using it in the (older) British sense, referring to himself as a used-up, wet, cigarette butt, i.e. useless for publicity purposes.  I guess the Brits have taken the usage from the USA, kind of a shame.  (Soon they won't know what a "bloater" sandwich is, either!-)  Used without a space as a single word, I had no idea it had accumulated this 21st-century meaning: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Oldfag

[Edit: Slightly OT: Once upon a time, I helped write a tech support article referring to the "brain-damaged" way our particular software feature previously (mis-)worked.  Some customer called up to complain that we were disparaging the community of persons with cognitive impairment or intellectual disability.  My colleague -- in a brilliant save -- told the customer that no, the reference was actually because the feature "had been damaged by the *actions* of our programmers' brains" -- i.e. (brain)-damage'd, not (braindamage)d -- and thus was not pejorative descriptor.  Nice try.  But that customer was mollified at least...]

beojeff
Top 75 Contributor
USA
Posts 1,699
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Thu, Jul 16 2020 12:35 AM

trackbeo:

I also thought he was using it in the (older) British sense, referring to himself as a used-up, wet, cigarette butt, i.e. useless for publicity purposes.  I guess the Brits have taken the usage from the USA, kind of a shame.  (Soon they won't know what a "bloater" sandwich is, either!-)  Used without a space as a single word, I had no idea it had accumulated this 21st-century meaning: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Oldfag

[Edit: Slightly OT: Once upon a time, I wrote a tech support article referring to the "brain-damaged" way our particular software feature (mis-)worked.  Some customer called up to complain that we were disparaging the community of persons with cognitive impairment or intellectual disability.  My colleague -- in a brilliant save -- told the customer that no, the reference was actually because the feature "had been damaged by the *action* of our programmers' brains" and was not pejorative descriptor, in any way.  Nice try, but that customer was mollified at least...]

That's irrelevant. The "f" word to a gay person is just the same as using the "n" word to a black person. It should just be avoided. It does cause offense.

Mikipidia
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,351
Gold Member
Mikipidia replied on Thu, Jul 16 2020 1:31 AM
It is absolutely relevant though. In first you assume MM isn’t gay and therfor means harm by it (i don’t know or care either way). Secondly, as a smoker myself, one of the most common phrases I hear when in the UK is somthing along the lines of “want to go have a ***?”. It’s widely used and no ones means anthing other by it than cigarettes. And for the gay equality/acceptance the UK seems to be ahead of the US. Lastly, with regards to the N-word, that’s once again highly subjective. If you assume a non black person saying that to a black person then it obviously seems valid. But is it not different if a black person says it to another black person? A lot of rap music here seems to feature the words and it’s said by non white and non black people and no one seems to care.

In the end offence is taken, not given, and regional/cultural differences matter a heck of a lot to how one speaks to one another. Most of us speak english on here, but not with American sensibilities of the language nor necessarily british ones either but they do seem more prevalent.

In the end i think this is a total misunderstanding and nobody is purposely trying to offend one another, but it we need an understanding on all sides that this is the case.

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beolab 3's, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube (finally Stick out tongue )

https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Old: Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

trackbeo
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 349
Bronze Member
trackbeo replied on Thu, Jul 16 2020 2:40 AM

No, it is *not* irrelevant.  This forum is based in the U.K. and "bumming a ***" was slang for borrowing a cigarette there, before any modern abbreviation of that 2-syllable British term for a bundle of sticks was applied to old women and gay persons.  It's unclear what @Millemissen's principal language is, but where, and when, he learned his English makes a difference.  

That said, I don't disagree with @beojeff that it should be avoided.  But the word "***" is definitely not "just the same" per @beojeff's assertion.  There is absolutely no other use for that word than a derogatory reference to black people.  But it certainly might feel the same -- the most thoughtful explanation I have seen recently is https://www.huffpost.com/entry/an-open-letter-to-people-_b_8011324 .  (The idea that the word-linkage was formed because kindling was used to burn misfits, is scary.)

Unless one complains about the use when one sees it, it will become normative, which is what @beojeff is trying to head off.  For that matter, the misuse of the word "gay" by modern youngsters who don't have a broad enough vocabulary to say what they really mean, is a problem to me.  @Mikipedia, I make excuses in my head for your show's guests in that regard, since English is not their principal language.  (It might not be yours either?  I notice you don't use the most common swear words like your guests, rather American midwestern bible-belt exclamatory phrases, but your accent with very precise consonants says... Furriner! !-)  

But speaking of irrelevant, I apologize for taking this discussion further afield.  You should ask your guests next week if they would participate in B&O's social media efforts as outlined above -- all seem to have plenty of ideas and no problem exposing them on social media, unlike suspicious old farts like me.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,714
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, Jul 16 2020 7:44 AM
As someone who was born and brought up in the UK, and in (relatively) liberal and tolerant London, there seems to be little sensitivity to the use of the the f word in question here.

The UK probably sits closer to the US than much of Europe when it comes to the visibility of social justice conflicts. But that doesn’t mean every issue translates one for one.

And finally, largely because the f word is common slang for a cigarette here, and other words are far more common for those who want to be derogatory towards gays, I don’t see it’s use being cancelled here (in today’s parlance)

In the end intention matters - you’d be hard pushed to justify a passive use for using the n word. But people here generally will say “I’m popping in to this shop for a packet of f**s” - and it carries little or no stigma, so I’d not expect change here.

And MM’s term he used, I’ve actually never heard! A more common term would be “old fart” as something used to describe (often self mockingly) an old traditionalist.

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,462
Bronze Member
Anyway lol

As a homo I know that f-ag means smokes (same here in Aussie) and an American term held up on pickets by nutters lol.

I laughed when MM wrote it, and it’s fine if someone wants to “bum a f-ag” off someone Big Smile

I’m from a Dutch and Danish family so I get when things don’t fully translate.

With the term as with anything it’s the tone in which it’s delivered.

Influencers in my opinion are turncoats and don’t make the world a better place.
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 13,169
Bronze Member

trackbeo:

No, it is *not* irrelevant.  This forum is based in the U.K. and "bumming a ***" was slang for borrowing a cigarette there, before any modern abbreviation of that 2-syllable British term for a bundle of sticks was applied to old women and gay persons.  It's unclear what @Millemissen's principal language is, but where, and when, he learned his English makes a difference.  

To clearify: my principal and native language is danish.

Actually english (is that the right word?) is my third language, german being the second (since I live in Germany.....2 hundred meters away from the danish border). I am spending a big part of my wake-time in Denmark, though.

I learned english in the school, which means that it mostly will be influenced by the british english - I have never been to the US, but certainly to the UK.

Most danes speak and write ‘some sort of english’, which is influenzed by british and american language - so sometimes we mess things up!

as most of you know, the danes are wellknown for being very liberal when it comes to how people choose to live their life, to what colour/color their skin is etc etc.

So bear with me - probably I would have been better off using the terminology, that sandy proposed, an ‘old fart’.

Please notice, anyone, who felt insulted, has already been given an apology in my previous post.

This said - I can not promise that I won’t - by accident - be using ‘wrong terminologies’ in future postings.....the only way to avoid this would be not to write at all.

My take on this - let’s not get too sensitive about things - and then end that discussion!

It has taken the focus from what originally was meant to be discussed in this thread.

Like trackbeo I also think that it could be a good idea to discuss this/the B&O Collective/the B&O Ambassador theme in a coming Beotalk podcast....if Miki would want to.

Like Aussie Michael writes: are influencers just turncoats?
What else can be done, must be done and in which way in order to make B&O known more commonly..

Also we should not forget that this ‘offer’ from B&O represent an openness that we all have been missing.
All good subjects for a discussion.

MM

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,714
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, Jul 16 2020 8:57 AM

Yes, back on topic, I tend to agree.

We can roll our eyes at the whole existence fo influencers, and many of them seem to add no value, and are just happy to be used as an advertising channel for some brands and their products. But I don think what B&O are after here are a few airheads to shout "hey guys, you must buy this product, its amazing!".

So natural scepticism aside, there are some more credible social media presences (call them influencers, or reviewers or some mix, doesnt matter).

And B&O do need to seed upcoming generations of customers, so its a route they should seek to utilise.

Of course, the caveat would be that the influencers (still not sure if thats the right word for what B&O want) are well chosen, and can show how to live with the products, and show some of their allure, all done in a way that fires up the imagination of potential customers.

Sensibly managed and curated, the downside of this effort is not obvious to me.

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,462
Bronze Member
True Sandy.

I had said ages ago on this forum that I would like B&O to do more videos on this is how you use your tech.

They are starting to filter through and also on BOTF (also helping me learn Danish) and time me that’s more important.

I’m happy to buy the tech but how can we use it intelligently. I think if people see that then they will be advocates.

People are happy to showcase it to their friends and whomever if they can use it properly.

Advocates are stronger than influencers.

Maybe we will see that word in next years Annual Report.
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 13,169
Bronze Member

Ambassadors might be a better word.........but who - the h*ck - understand what that means nowadays?

MM

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,462
Bronze Member
Millemissen:

Ambassadors might be a better word.........but who - the h*ck - understand what that means nowadays?

MM

As long as they don’t use the wank word “friends of the brand” 🤮

🤣
Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,656
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Thu, Jul 16 2020 10:56 AM

Sandyb:

Yes, back on topic, I tend to agree.

We can roll our eyes at the whole existence fo influencers, and many of them seem to add no value, and are just happy to be used as an advertising channel for some brands and their products. But I don think what B&O are after here are a few airheads to shout "hey guys, you must buy this product, its amazing!".

So natural scepticism aside, there are some more credible social media presences (call them influencers, or reviewers or some mix, doesnt matter).

And B&O do need to seed upcoming generations of customers, so its a route they should seek to utilise.

Of course, the caveat would be that the influencers (still not sure if thats the right word for what B&O want) are well chosen, and can show how to live with the products, and show some of their allure, all done in a way that fires up the imagination of potential customers.

Sensibly managed and curated, the downside of this effort is not obvious to me.

Maybe I'd be more inclined to agree if the "influencer" had independently purchased the gear and then waxed lyrical about it. Watching/listening to someone gush over some thing they've received for free or actually been paid to fawn over isn't going to swing it for me although I'm sure there are those that will lap it up.

Ban boring signatures!

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,714
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, Jul 16 2020 11:57 AM
Puncher:

Maybe I'd be more inclined to agree if the "influencer" had independently purchased the gear and then waxed lyrical about it. Watching/listening to someone gush over some thing they've received for free or actually been paid to fawn over isn't going to swing it for me although I'm sure there are those that will lap it up.

Ban boring signatures!

Agreed, and that was the distinction I was trying to draw

I'm hoping and assuming that they're after customers who can show off their own stuff by and large and thereby help promote the brand.

Otherwise yes, influencers in the more common sense are a horrific bunch. ("Hey guys!...".....vomit inducing!)
matador43
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 931
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Sat, Jul 18 2020 9:14 AM

I'd like to know how B&O would consider someone like, say Steve (Ours, from Sound Heavenly!) and if they would consider it an "influencer".

My experience with local resellers is that they mainly want to sell new products and dont want to hear about (if they're only aware of) legacy product, not even talking vintage products.

Steve, through is business, and now his youtube channel, must certainly have been the little push which made people buy, or keep a B&O piece.
In that he is an influencer. But because is influence doesn't only cover current products but also old ones (a good example is his headphones battle) maybe he's not what B&O is looking for even if he checks all the marks. 

(Wasn't Dire Strait that use to sing : the little F**** has is own jet airplane, the little F**** is a millionnaire ?) :-)

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,771
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Jul 18 2020 4:24 PM

I don't think Steve looks good enough in a bikini to be a true "influencer." Stick out tongue

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 1,825
Gold Member

Jeff:

I don't think Steve looks good enough in a bikini to be a true "influencer." Stick out tongue

I just asked my good lady wife and she has confirmed your suspicions - apparently I don't look good at all in a bikini! Big Smile

I agree entirely that "influencers" are not what B&O needs right now, but passionate and engaging life-long enthusiasts of the brand.  We need B&O to succeed, so that they can make more products that we want to buy for many years to come.

My aim is not to "influence" but to continue sharing my love for B&O's products, past and present.

It will be interesting to see how B&O's new plan works out...... 

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,135
Founder
9 LEE replied on Sat, Jul 18 2020 6:15 PM

I've seen Steve in a bikini and he looks very fetching! Laughing

** I haven't really.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 1,825
Gold Member

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,135
Founder
9 LEE replied on Sat, Jul 18 2020 6:33 PM

What I'd give to be that slim these days....

matador43
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 931
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Sat, Jul 18 2020 7:46 PM

B&O don't want you to love their products, they just want you to buy them new.

In the past with each item came a little booklet telling the story of the brand and the possibilities if you ever gonna expand your "product" to a "system".
In it it was a letter from the president of B&O titled "Since we're gonna live together…"

Of course nowadays that would be cheesy and maybe people would say it's a waste of paper and money. But i found that truly engaging and makes the purchase really something else…

Now you just have to go to the web, download whatever PDF and of course, after giving your money, give all your data "for us to better know you", but still, you enter the shop and nobody knows you.

To me its more an old school brand trying to disguise into a modern brand and thus, missing something in the process.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,033
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Sat, Jul 18 2020 7:53 PM

beojeff:

trackbeo:

[Edit: Slightly OT: Once upon a time, I wrote a tech support article referring to the "brain-damaged" way our particular software feature (mis-)worked.  Some customer called up to complain that we were disparaging the community of persons with cognitive impairment or intellectual disability.  My colleague -- in a brilliant save -- told the customer that no, the reference was actually because the feature "had been damaged by the *action* of our programmers' brains" and was not pejorative descriptor, in any way.  Nice try, but that customer was mollified at least...]

That's irrelevant. The "f" word to a gay person is just the same as using the "n" word to a black person. It should just be avoided. It does cause offense.

No it doesn’t. Speak for yourself. I don’t find it in any way offensive. But I also have a backbone.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 13,169
Bronze Member

matador43:

B&O don't want you to love their products, they just want you to buy them new.

In the past with each item came a little booklet telling the story of the brand and the possibilities if you ever gonna expand your "product" to a "system".
In it it was a letter from the president of B&O titled "Since we're gonna live together…"

Of course nowadays that would be cheesy and maybe people would say it's a waste of paper and money. But i found that truly engaging and makes the purchase really something else…

Now you just have to go to the web, download whatever PDF and of course, after giving your money, give all your data "for us to better know you", but still, you enter the shop and nobody knows you.

To me its more an old school brand trying to disguise into a modern brand and thus, missing something in the process.

That must be terrible for you to deal with.

But I can assure you, that my experience with B&O nowadays isn’t like that, not at all.

I am still proud to tell people about the options, they could have with B&O products - both new and older....and as a combination of both.

MM

trackbeo
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 349
Bronze Member
trackbeo replied on Sat, Jul 18 2020 8:30 PM

Q: How do I become part of the Bang & Olufsen Collective?

A: Tap To Join!

matador43
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 931
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Sat, Jul 18 2020 8:46 PM

Millemissen:
That must be terrible for you to deal with

It isn't, mostly because I dont have to "deal with".

I'm very happy for you to be so contented by the brand and spread your joy around.
At the same time (like we say in France), I wouldn't have expected less from you.

(Some people on this forum are so funnily predictable No - thumbs down)

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,656
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Sat, Jul 18 2020 9:40 PM

9 LEE:

What I'd give to be that slim these days....

Shall I post the lime green running picture???

Ban boring signatures!

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,771
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Jul 18 2020 11:43 PM

trackbeo:

Q: How do I become part of the Bang & Olufsen Collective?

A: Tap To Join!

Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated...

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,462
Bronze Member
Jeff:

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus.

Big Smile
Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,398
Gold Member
Duels replied on Sun, Jul 19 2020 8:59 AM
Jeff:

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus.

Nice
Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,398
Gold Member
Duels replied on Sun, Jul 19 2020 9:01 AM
Incidentally, where I come from (the midlands) a faggot is a meatball, typically eaten with peas.
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 13,169
Bronze Member

Duels:
Incidentally, where I come from (the midlands) a faggot is a meatball, typically eaten with peas.

I must admit..........sometimes I feel like one of these ;-))

MM

Page 1 of 2 (47 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL