Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 21 Replies | 0 Followers

dahiyas
Not Ranked
United States
64 Posts
Silver Member
dahiyas posted on Tue, Jun 16 2020 6:07 AM

Hi,

I have a BC9500 whose tape drive is misbehaving. The play function works perfectly. The belt seems to be fine. The plastic pieces all look fine. The mechanism moves smoothly if pushed/rolled with the finger.

Problems:

1. After switching on the system if I press A.TAPE, the Capstan Motor switches on, even without a cassette. I can see the flywheel spinning continuously. switching to CD does not have any impact. I can put a tape and play and everything is good. I can switch side by pressing TURN. No issues. Pressing STOP disengages the head but the capstan motor is still on. Is this normal behavior ?

2. FWD/REW functions doesn't work at all. On pressing FWD/REW There is a initial hum of motor and then clicking sound and nothing.

I removed the tape and pressed the micro-switches and if I FWD/REW then the roller turns for couple of seconds and then  switches to other roller turning for couple of seconds and then stops. But with a tape in, nothing except the humming. 

Any guidance on resolving the above will be appreciated !!

Thanks.

All Replies

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
11,841 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Jul 26 2020 1:19 PM

Are you sure the problem is not at the sound source selector or the path to it?

Martin

dahiyas
Not Ranked
United States
64 Posts
Silver Member

Martin, the everything was playing fine with the BC9500 board. The only issue was fwd/rew were not working. so source selection should be fine ?

Thanks.

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
952 Posts
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Wed, Jul 29 2020 2:10 PM

I did find non working FF/REV caused by slipping gearwheel on middle. It cured by gently adjusting red marked tabs

blah-blah and photographs as needed

dahiyas
Not Ranked
United States
64 Posts
Silver Member

Thanks Orava, I will surely try this over the weekend !!

dahiyas
Not Ranked
United States
64 Posts
Silver Member

It has been a interesting weekend. Let's say accidental learning Smile

I was holding the soldering iron in one hand and a  screwdriver in the other and the phone rang..tried holding the phone and screwdriver and the screwdriver slipped and fell on connection PCB 21, connector P45 to be precise. And as luck would have it, it was the metal tip sitting on the connectors shorting some pins. Next thing there was a spark on PCB 20 and TR35 had smoke coming out of it.

(I am imagining some of the veterans shaking their heads but this story is more for the explorers on what not to do around your equipment Big Smile)

Replaced TR35 and the tape head engages but motor M1 does not engage.

Quick search on forum told me that fuse F2 on PCB 60 might be blown and sure enough F2 is blown. Ordered the fuse. Hopefully that's the only damage...

dahiyas
Not Ranked
United States
64 Posts
Silver Member

Good news and some progress.

Fuse showed up, replaced F2 on PCB 60 with T1A and the motor is back to life.

So the search for FWD/REW cure starts again.

Trial 1. Tried the original BC9500 board and mechanism with "new" wind motor from BC9000. No joy. Play works fine but no FWD/REW. So, I am back to where I started.

Trial 2. Tried the original BC9500 board but "new" tape mechanism from BC9000. Progress - FWD/REW work. Play plays for 3-5 seconds and stops automatically.  pressing A.TAPE again turns the head and it starts playing again. so looks like the mechanism thinks it has reached tape end. repeats again for 3-5 seconds and stops. Pressing A.TAPE turns head.

So, the BC9500 tape mechanism is the problem. PCB 20 is OK. 

The BC9000 tape mechanism - need to figure out the start/stop issue.

Could the hall sensors have been damaged due to the screwdriver episode (with the BC9000 PCB20 and tape mechanism)?

Maybe that's the next stop.

dahiyas
Not Ranked
United States
64 Posts
Silver Member

Finally its fixed Smile. All tape functions working now.

On my original tape mechanism the FWD/REW function are still not working. And I could not figure out the reason. It will go in storage for now.

What I did figure out -

1. Symptom - Dead tape motor, Cause - Fuse F2 on PCB 60.

2. Symptom - Tape plays for 4-5 seconds and stops, Cause - Failed hall sensor(s).

Also, the BC9000 tape mechanism worked perfectly fine with BC9500 PCB 20. No adjustments were needed. 

Thank you to all who contributed provided guidance !!

Next project -

Beogram CD50 belt replacement - Hoping to see the belt come in any day now. I did not mark the gears before taking them out...based on other members comments, looks like it will be fun trying to put everything together to make the CD tray work properly...

Page 2 of 2 (22 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL