Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

LG GX + Stage is here, some initial feedback

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 76 Replies | 0 Followers

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,213 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey posted on Mon, Jun 15 2020 9:19 AM

Firstly, photo to follow. Not quite fully set it all up yet.

LG GX 55" + Stage + BeoRemote arrived Saturday. First impressions? Picture quality is simply stunning, especially for 4K-sourced movies and content. HD looks good, too.

Surprisingly the TV has a fairly decent speaker. Indeed, it's so decent sometimes I can't tell if the Stage is on or the TV speaker when watching something like the news and other regular TV.

Apps are good. So good I've realised I won't need the Apple TV. You get the Apple TV app, Netflix, Prime Video and other apps I use.

But, some less good news...

- Stage sometimes doesn't turn on with the TV. Anyone have any ideas on this? Very frustrating.

- BeoRemote, as expected, doesn't work with the TV yet. No access to the B&O app on the LG Appstore.

- No UK catch-up apps! No iPlayer, no All 4, ITV Hub, nothing. Incredible.

All in all though, thoroughly recommended.

All Replies

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
1,847 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Mon, Jun 15 2020 12:20 PM

I dont think any of the 2020 LG's have the Uk catch up streaming apps.

Its and LG thing (obvs) - something has happened between them and the Freeview alliance (or whatever it is called).

It will get sorted though - but may take a search of LG forums to get an idea of timeframe,

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,213 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Mon, Jun 15 2020 3:04 PM

Sandyb:

I dont think any of the 2020 LG's have the Uk catch up streaming apps.

I'm more worried/annoyed that the Stage doesn't turn on with the TV, to be fair.

Mikipidia
Top 75 Contributor
1,663 Posts
Gold Member
I have one with a C9 panel and have no issues, also the C9 has those apps available. Don’t know why it’s any different for the CX

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beolab 3's, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube (finally Stick out tongue )

https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Old: Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,213 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Mon, Jun 15 2020 8:31 PM

Mikipidia:
I have one with a C9 panel and have no issues, also the C9 has those apps available. Don’t know why it’s any different for the CX

I think the GX hasn't had full B&O implementation so far. You can't access the B&O LG store app, the TV requires a firmware upgrade (due mid-July), so it's not quite fully integrated....yet. Same with the CX.

Still, the picture quality is unbelievably good. I used to bang on about my BV12-65, but this about 10 levels higher. So good. It's almost embarrassingly good in 4K.

Mikipidia
Top 75 Contributor
1,663 Posts
Gold Member
With the latter parts with the apps I meant the freeview and itv/channel4 aps and the like too. They seem to all be working fine on the C9 panel, so maybe it’s the same for those too. As in not fully validated by lg for their content store just yet?

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beolab 3's, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube (finally Stick out tongue )

https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Old: Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,213 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Mon, Jun 15 2020 9:11 PM

Mikipidia:
With the latter parts with the apps I meant the freeview and itv/channel4 aps and the like too. They seem to all be working fine on the C9 panel, so maybe it’s the same for those too. As in not fully validated by lg for their content store just yet?

As Sandyb mentioned earlier, LG lost the agreement to supply those apps for 2020, so any new TV shipped this year won't now include those apps (at least until they sort out the agreement).

Won't be a big issue for me as my Sky Q box should be installed Friday.

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,594 Posts
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Tue, Jun 16 2020 7:34 AM

Nice! 

Did the flat mounting wall bracket for the GX work well? Think that is a very clever solution.

Look forward to pictures.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5 Office: Beocom 2 Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

MaxH
Not Ranked
59 Posts
Gold Member
MaxH replied on Tue, Jun 16 2020 7:36 AM

The Apple TV plugged into an HDMI port will give you all the UK catch up apps.

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
617 Posts
Bronze Member

moxxey:

Still, the picture quality is unbelievably good. I used to bang on about my BV12-65, but this about 10 levels higher. So good. It's almost embarrassingly good in 4K.

Yea I remember, Welcome to the world of OLED Big Smile

Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1 Google assist, Beoplay M3, Beoplay H6, Beoplay Earset 

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,213 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Tue, Jun 16 2020 11:03 AM

Emil Jensen:

moxxey:

The only downside - there has to be a downside - is that SD looks awful (as it's seriously upscaled to 4K), and low-quality HD looks a bit washed out compared to the BV12-65.

Obviously top quality HD or 4K is another level and then some.

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
617 Posts
Bronze Member

moxxey:

Emil Jensen:

moxxey:

The only downside - there has to be a downside - is that SD looks awful (as it's seriously upscaled to 4K), and low-quality HD looks a bit washed out compared to the BV12-65.

Yes that is very true, 

Lucky I only look at Streaming, so everything is good except HBO 

And Itunes have very good deals on 4K HDR film, highly recommend

Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1 Google assist, Beoplay M3, Beoplay H6, Beoplay Earset 

Jaffrey2230
Top 150 Contributor
Washington DC
489 Posts
Silver Member

I can't remember if LG allows for input specific settings. If it does, then you can use a more vivid default setting (so that SD looks brighter and more colorful) and use the Apple TV 4K input calibrated for HDR. In general, since HDR is much brighter and more colorful, SD content with a setting that is optimized for HDR tends to appear dimmer and washed out in my experience. You'll also find that you might prefer the video and audio from some of the Apple TV app over the default LG Apps only because the Apple TV Apps are implemented better in some cases than their WebOS versions (in my experience Disney+ and Netflix fall into that category). YouTube App on the LG might be better since in my case (I have a Sony OLED) the Android TV version of YouTube is slightly better than on the Apple TV, but Netflix on Apple TV is better, even with the default Android app having access to Sony's Netflix calibration.

So using the Apple TV you might be able to get the best of both worlds - SD and HD.

The Apple TV remote works perfectly with the LG GX TV and Stage using HDMI CEC (although the Beoremote One looks much nicer :))

My B&O Home: 

• Beolab 8002 + Beolab 2 + Beosound Core with Essence Remote (Office)
  • Beolab 6000 + Beolab 11 + Beosound Core with Essence Remote (Bedroom)
  • Beoplay A9 Mk2 (Living Room)
  • Beosound 1 with wireless dock (Portable)
  • Beosound Balance (Dining)
  • Beoplay H95 (Focused listening, travel)
  • Beoplay H9 (3rd gen) (retired)
  • Beoplay P6 (Portable)
  • Beotime wall clock (hallway entrance)
  • Beoremote X (poor man's Halo Big Smile)

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Badsey, UK
3,433 Posts
Gold Member
moxxey:

Let’s have some pictures already.

Beovision 10, Beolab 2, Beosound 2(old Skool) Beolit 15, Beoplay A2 Active

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,213 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Tue, Jun 16 2020 8:52 PM

Chris Townsend:
moxxey:

Let’s have some pictures already.

It’s a black TV on a wall. Visualise it.

Page 1 of 6 (77 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL