Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Advice for best Surround Speaker Setup for a Harmony: Ceiling/Hight ?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 43 Replies | 1 Follower

kawo
Top 500 Contributor
140 Posts
Bronze Member
kawo posted on Mon, Jun 1 2020 12:20 PM

In the next couple of days I will install my new Harmony and took the opportunity to read the "Technical Sound Guide" on the B&O website. Quite an interesting read! On Page 13 it talks about the multichannel setup.

As I have Beolab 5's as Front left and right no need for a subwoofer and if you take off the center as well from the count you are left with 5 channels. According to the sound guide on top of the usual "Left and right Surround" and "Left and right Back"

- 180 Degree Centre Back

- Left and right Surround Hight

- Ceiling (looks like one center speaker on top of the listening position)

- Centre Front Hight

- Left and right Fron hight

I have 2 pairs of Beolab 3, 1 pair of Belob4 and one 7-4 I can play with.

I guess you need at least 2 channels for the back channels on ear level, but what is the best choice for the remaining 3 channels based on B&O's TrueImage processing ? Any experience with the extra channels?

All Replies

kawo
Top 500 Contributor
140 Posts
Bronze Member
kawo replied on Thu, Jun 18 2020 11:22 AM

I love it :-) , interesting idea with the hights!

Today I also received a new HDMI Premium cable as my current one had some trouble with the Sony Blu Ray UDP 800m2 with 4K and Atmos content  to the C9 as I am on Mikipedia's track to see the difference in 7 channel pass trough from  eARC port instead gaining into the sound center directly.

Mikipidia
Top 50 Contributor
1,836 Posts
Gold Member
With regards to the full range drivers on the side in the harmony/eclipse i’ve found that you can basically only have them on and add something when they’re set to center but at -3db or more compared to the center row of speakers. Providing youre left and right channels are sufficiently far away from the center, otherwise it all sort of blends in too much imho. That’s what i found, but i think i also read something similar on tonmeister but can’t find it anymore.

With regards to the atmos, sometimes i get no sound but that’s not because of b&o. It’s an LG thing they said they were going to fix, but there is a work around. When you go into the sound menu settings(on my c9) earc is set to “pass through” by default, but if you change that to “auto” or “pcm” you’ll get sound and it’s bloody wonderfulBig Smile

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beolab 3's, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

mikipedi4 on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/mikipedi4

Old: Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
677 Posts
Bronze Member

There should be a software update out for the C9 for this problem, released last week.

Beovision Harmony 77" 2nd Gen, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1, Beoplay M3, Beoplay H6, Beoplay Earset, Beoliving Intelligence 

kawo
Top 500 Contributor
140 Posts
Bronze Member
kawo replied on Thu, Jun 18 2020 1:12 PM

the eARC bug I have experienced as well, also the workaround. Little bit annoying...let's see if the update fixes it

Mikipidia
Top 50 Contributor
1,836 Posts
Gold Member
Emil,

Do you know what update nr/sw nr that is supposed to be fixed with? Haven’t checked in a while and don’t think my panel has had an update in a while too, atleast I haven’t seen itStick out tongue

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beolab 3's, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Old: Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

kawo
Top 500 Contributor
140 Posts
Bronze Member
kawo replied on Thu, Jun 18 2020 8:47 PM

My C9 just updated... 

Mikipidia
Top 50 Contributor
1,836 Posts
Gold Member
So what software/firmware number are you on now and is it fixed?Stick out tongue

Alsfeld
Top 500 Contributor
141 Posts
Founder
Alsfeld replied on Sun, Aug 16 2020 11:32 AM

Is there something similar like Sonos Trueplay (Sound tuning software for Sonos loudspeakers) available for Bang&Olufsen equipment? Perhaps from third party?

Or is this automated sound tuning only „hocus pocus“ and just putting the loudspeakers in the correct locations is the only (main) think to optimize the sound?

kawo
Top 500 Contributor
140 Posts
Bronze Member
kawo replied on Tue, Nov 17 2020 8:24 PM

I took the opportunity to play with some of the ideas and thoughts Geoff mentioned in his Sound Guide. As I had to move one pair of the Bl3 from the back (7.0 setup) to the front due to my BL5 waiting for repair to a 5.0 setup. As I have no subwoofer I adjusted some of the bass management settings to have the Harmony's loudspeaker provide more of the low end. So 4x BL3 plus the Harmony. Quite impressive how much this setup with the little BL3 moves the air and sound!

As I still have a pair if unused BL4 in storage and to much spare time over the weekend... I put them on the ceiling (luckily found the ceiling mounts in a box) as Goeff described in his guide.

Man, what a difference! A whole new world of sound filled the room. I was really blown away! With this small not most loved speakers in the B&O range magic happened. The Track which impressed my most was Kraftwerk's Radioactivity from their recent Blu Ray. (for the folks who do not know Kraftwerk, the are named as the innovator of the electric sound). Also Yello's last concert from Berlin on Blu Ray as well very impressive.

So long story short, I only can second Mikipedia's suggestion go for for ceiling speakers all time before you add a second pair on the floor for the backs. 

To put this in perspective, I visited a reference show room with a Denon/Auro setup as the Auromatic is probably the best up mixer for hights outside the B&O world, but B&O is not far off...

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,792 Posts
Bronze Member

@kawo

Thanks for reviving this important (if you are into multichannel B&O) thread.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Mikipidia
Top 50 Contributor
1,836 Posts
Gold Member
Thanks!Big Smile

Surround height is fantastic, i personally would recommend (5.0.2) them over 7.x every time with a modern BV. The emersion is out of this world, even for musicLets have a Party !!!

kawo
Top 500 Contributor
140 Posts
Bronze Member
kawo replied on Wed, Nov 18 2020 10:16 AM

We need to keep this discussion alive :-) 

I think the potential of the Trueimage processor with the detailed possibilities to adjust the sound in many ways is completely underrated. However, this is not easy if you are not the master Geoff himself, I just started my journey with it. I would love to have a workshop with the Tonmeister to fully understand it. So much fun to play with it

With my setup, I can't wait to have my BL5 back into service and start shaking walls again :-).  

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,792 Posts
Bronze Member

@kawo

A workshop with the Tonmeister most likely will not be possible.

However, playing with your options is more than allowed - do remember, that no two rooms are equal and our preferences are also different.

You have lots of Speaker Groups to deal with - just remember to keep record of what you do, in order to have an overview - nothing can’t go wrong there.

Keep on reading the Technical Sound Guide and keep on experimenting ;-)

Looking forward to hear, what you think, when the 5’s are back.

MM 

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
2,185 Posts
Gold Member
Hi there

This is exactly what i just did.

5.0.2 here and its amazing.

The true image processor is great.

I have Lab5 front, eclipse center, lab 6000 surround and lab 4000 rear surround height.

I know the image processor is doing some funky thing to create the high surround as it cannot decode Atmos but its great.

I would be interested to know what else to add just for fun.

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

Page 3 of 3 (44 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL