rated by 0 users
This post has 23 Replies | 2 Followers

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 13,353
Bronze Member
Millemissen Posted: Wed, May 27 2020 1:45 PM

I am not sure whether this was mentioned on the forum before - if yes, I did miss it.

Robert from the company Beocovers - https://www.beocovers.com/pricing/

offers new ‘dresses’ for the older B&O devices.

Just as Skiniplay makes covers etc for the newer B&O stuff, Roberts solutions can give the older speakers etc a new and fresh design.

Disclaimer - I am not afflicted to the company in any way -  I just thought that people should know about this option too.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,407
Gold Member
Duels replied on Wed, May 27 2020 1:52 PM
It has been mentioned before but I can’t immediately find the thread.

However it’s well worth reminding people. I think the covers look really good. If I still had my BL6000s I’d be tempted.
9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,146
Founder
9 LEE replied on Wed, May 27 2020 2:13 PM

Dicing with death putting that 3200 there!!

Covers look funky Yes - thumbs up

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 11,973
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, May 27 2020 3:32 PM

Exactly my thoughts.
And I would break my neck with the TV at that height.

The covers, hmm... a matter of taste, I suppose.

Martin

Earle
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 218
Bronze Member
Earle replied on Wed, May 27 2020 4:23 PM

lol... those covers. But I suppose there really isn't a way to emphasise the customability of the product without an example that is completely left. That is, of course, assuming the customer has full control over the final look/pattern.

This reminds me of those Nordic watercolour covers B&O came out with a while back (I think that's what they were called). Customizing something similar would be pretty neat.

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,407
Gold Member
Duels replied on Wed, May 27 2020 5:41 PM
Dillen:

The covers, hmm... a matter of taste, I suppose.

Martin

Indeed. However I believe the covers can be done in pretty much any design and colour the customer wants.
beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 1,771
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Wed, May 27 2020 5:46 PM

I would love to see some older speakers covered with Kvadrat fabrics in colors like grey and moss.

beotex
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 81
Bronze Member
beotex replied on Wed, May 27 2020 7:37 PM
beojeff:

I would love to see some older speakers covered with Kvadrat fabrics in colors like grey and moss.

Yes please.
Beosince98
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 226
Silver Member
Beosince98 replied on Sun, May 31 2020 12:37 PM

Thank you Millemissen,

some advertisement is always appreciated and helps me a lot. I agree with Duels that especially the pairing of Beolab 6000 and a Beovision 10/11 in custom covers looks great. Obviously the graphics I chose are a matter of taste, but you can choose whatever you want to have printed on the covers. Unicolors are also possible. I agree with Earle that the Nordic Sky Beoplay A9 looks absolutely gorgeous, and customizing Beolab with a color gradient would look great. I think especially Beolab 20 or Beolab 9 (removing the Beolab 9s center black stripe is possible!) would really look great in a color gradient. If you have any questions for me, please ask.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,128
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Sun, May 31 2020 3:30 PM

beojeff:

This is a really good idea! My only concern would be, would that potentially affect the sound quality coming from, say, a BV11 or BV14?

The red fret on my BV11 is quite 'see through' and probably for good reason. I'd fear putting a wool Kvadrat fabric would cause the sound to be muffled?

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 11,973
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, May 31 2020 4:11 PM

Oh no. No more Kvadrat, please.
It looks like a sack.

And wool in front of speakers?
Why speakers then?

Martin

matador43
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 951
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Sun, May 31 2020 4:36 PM

moxxey:
I'd fear putting a wool Kvadrat fabric would cause the sound to be muffled?

I've always wondered to what point could fabric affect the sound of a speaker.
They are quantities of fret type all around : thin fabric, thick fabric, wood, plastic, metal etc…

And they're also lots of DIY jobs to reclothe speaker frets with pantyhose or any fabric…

I can't really imagine how a cloth can muffle a speaker. 

So is it a golden ear thing are could it be really an obvious thing?

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 11,973
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, May 31 2020 4:39 PM

Place a woolen cloth or carpet in front of the speakers and listen
Or try talking into a pillow and have someone listen.

Martin 

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,128
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Sun, May 31 2020 9:28 PM

Dillen:

You're from Denmark Dillen. You should be bigging up Kvadrat!

Pretty much all my sofa's and armchairs are covered in it and remember there are different variations of the fabric.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,128
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Sun, May 31 2020 9:28 PM

matador43:

http://soft-cells.com/products

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 11,973
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, May 31 2020 10:04 PM

moxxey:

Dillen:

You're from Denmark Dillen. You should be bigging up Kvadrat!

Perhaps.
But I'm not.

For furniture, well.., but for speakers?...

Martin

matador43
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 951
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Sun, May 31 2020 10:13 PM

moxxey:

matador43:

http://soft-cells.com/products

Ok, marketing bla bla to me. Still balanced by the fact that Geof Martin seems to agreed to;

But still: if i cover my speaker with the same cloth as my chairs, because it please my wife and allows me to add some fancy speakers where she never agree to, would it really dramatically ruin the sound or is it as anecdotic for average listener than the perfect placing of the sweet spot chair ?

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 11,973
Founder
Dillen replied on Mon, Jun 1 2020 7:11 AM

All fabric, regardless of type and color, reflects and absorbs sound to some degree.

Thick cloth on furniture, floors etc. will absorb sound and help keep reflections down - that's all fine, actually to be preferred in most cases, when we talk about room acoustics, but it shouldn't come between the sound source and the ears.

I'm sure Geoff would rather be without anything between the speakers and the listener, but designers wouldn't agree to the look, and cloth covered speakers are likely to be designed technically and/or compensated with the cloth in mind.

I wouldn't put wool on any speaker (that wasn't designed for it), and I was never a big fan of Kvadrat, but
it's your speakers, and if you can't tell any difference (it's typically the treble that goes first), then by all means go ahead
and put something better looking on them.

Martin

trackbeo
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 380
Bronze Member

matador43:
Ok, marketing bla bla to me. Still balanced by the fact that Geof Martin seems to agreed to;

But still: if i cover my speaker with the same cloth as my chairs, because it please my wife and allows me to add some fancy speakers where she never agree to, would it really dramatically ruin the sound or is it as anecdotic for average listener than the perfect placing of the sweet spot chair ?

"Dramatically ruin", enhh,... depends on how fussy you are.  But absolutely yes, anybody can hear it, even if not a golden-ears.  Insert a MiniDSP with DiracLive, and maybe you can automagically tweak the treble back up to where it was before?  Here is a thread with me misunderstanding the use of certain office-panel fabrics and Geoff correcting and analyzing their underlying characteristics:

https://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/38101/290465.aspx

Alas he does not offer a specific fabric choice.  Maybe your wife could pick her favorite "tights from Tesco" (see the thread) which accessorize harmoniously with the upholstery?

matador43
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 951
Bronze Member

trackbeo:
But absolutely yes, anybody can hear it, even if not a golden-ears.

Dillen:
Martin

Thank you both for the insights.

Beosince98
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 226
Silver Member

I have done some research into the matter of how the cloth affects sound quality, and I found that the effects of normal polymer cloth (if it is the same thickness) are pretty much the same. Bang&Olufsen actually use different fabrics themselves. The cloth I use is a special acoustic fabric that has perforations sewn in. I can not hear any difference between speakers with my fabric and the OEM fabric. I do agree though that thicker fabric or wool probably absorb more of the sound. 

Beosince98
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 226
Silver Member

Earle:

lol... those covers. But I suppose there really isn't a way to emphasise the customability of the product without an example that is completely left. That is, of course, assuming the customer has full control over the final look/pattern.

This reminds me of those Nordic watercolour covers B&O came out with a while back (I think that's what they were called). Customizing something similar would be pretty neat.

I have good news for anyone interested in a pair of covers customised like this for the Beolab 6000 ;) 

https://youtu.be/ttpeCuLYhNk

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 1,862
Gold Member

Hi,

Yes, I can confirm that a pair of either Beolab 4 covers or Beolab 6000 covers from Beocovers.com are available to be won completely free (I will even pay the postage!) in my YouTube competition:-

https://youtu.be/ttpeCuLYhNk

A lot of entries have already been submitted, so please check out the video and place your entry ASAP before the competition closes!

You can also find out my views of these covers in the video, as I have looked at these in some detail.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Beosince98
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 226
Silver Member

These are currently available for purchase, if you are interested. These are inspired by this post. Once mounted to Beolab 8000 the covers will look perfect (you will not see the frame for the fabric through anymore). If you are interested, please contact me!

Page 1 of 1 (24 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL