This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 1,795
Gold Member
Steve at Sounds Heavenly Posted: Sat, May 23 2020 10:02 AM

Hi Beoworlders,

My old Beolab 8000 speaker is about to get a makeover to transform it for the 21st century.....any guesses as to what will be upgraded?

https://youtu.be/EmdghYOmU98

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

matador43
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 801
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Sat, May 23 2020 12:11 PM

Steve at Sounds Heavenly:
any guesses as to what will be upgraded?

You replaced the black die cast base with trumpet feet? -> Beovox tribute Big Smile

Or frets maybe?

matador43
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 801
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Sat, May 23 2020 12:16 PM

More seriously, I've always wanted to do that as a DIY job. Because BL18 are so gorgeous and BL8000 mays sometimes be more in my reach.
After all, I did it with my TV as a cross BV Horizon/BV14 hommage Big Smile 

But I've also read here and there people stating that the wood lamellas on a speaker not tuned for that would be a mess in Geoff Martin's work. All this supported by long threads about the acoustic transparency of fret clothes…

So, where are we?

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,677
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Sat, May 23 2020 1:39 PM

With all respect for Steve, but some advice for the ones who want to take off their frets, do not open the top part as Steve shows. 

The plastic clips on top, which holds the top part of the fret in place, will break or bend so much, which will result in a top part that will not be closed again. The official way is to release the clips at both sides from bottom to top and then slide the complete frame approximately 20-25 cm , or all the way, upwards.

mbolo01
Top 75 Contributor
Annecy - France
Posts 1,361
Gold Member
mbolo01 replied on Sat, May 23 2020 3:55 PM
Beobuddy:

With all respect for Steve, but some advice for the ones who want to take off their frets, do not open the top part as Steve shows.

Agreed

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

Jaffrey2230
Not Ranked
Washington DC
Posts 304
Bronze Member

I had replaced the frets on my BL 8000 with oak frets I got on eBay for $330. Took me 10 mins to put on. Made the speaker look great, no loss of audio performance in any way possible. However, I ended up selling the set and just kept my BL 8002. I had them for the bedroom but found the BL 6000 with BL 11 are sufficient...so if you want to go down the route of changing the frets, go for it 🙂

B&O products I use by zones in my home: 

Platform: Apple Home with Google Wi-fi (mesh), 100% streaming audio (Sirius XM, Apple Music, YouTube Music); TV/Office: Beolab 8002 (Red) + Beolab 2 [Sony 65A1E OLED TV, Apple TV 4K];  Living: Beoplay A9 (MK2), Bedroom: Beolab 6000 (Red) + Beolab 11 + Beosound Core [LG UST Projector, Apple TV 4K]; Beoplay M5 Dining: Apple HomePod; Portable: Beosound 1, Beoplay P6, BeoPlay H9 (3rd Gen). 

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,795
Gold Member

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice, I realised that my method of removing the old covers wan't the best......  Does anyone know of a web link to the correct process please, so that I can link this in the video description?

Thanks!

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

OldJack
Top 500 Contributor
Split
Posts 293
Gold Member
OldJack replied on Sat, May 23 2020 5:42 PM

There was one post here,long time ago.I can't find link.I followed that whilst rechlothing my 8000's some 5 years ago.Just inserted round plastic coaster between the fret and speaker body.Gently rolling it up,until i reached first clip.then just pushed fret out until pin released.Continuing upwards,till all the pins released.Same process on the other side of the fret.When pins on both side released,just slide gently entire fret pushing upwards,from the bottom towards the top,and it will come out.Sorry,didn't take any photos.

Beogram 6500 MMC2,Beosound Ouverture,2xBeolab 8000,2xBelolab 4000,Beolab 2,Beolab 7.2,Beo4 navi, 2xBeocom2,Serene,Beosystem 3 mk3,H6 2nd gen,Earphones A8,A9 keyring,Beoplay A1,Bottle opener,Beoplay A2 active(thanks Botty)Wine Set(thanks Botty),4Ktv Samsung 55'',Beolab 7.1 with 42''Panasonic plasma,,Oppo udp-203, LinTronic.

mbolo01
Top 75 Contributor
Annecy - France
Posts 1,361
Gold Member
mbolo01 replied on Sat, May 23 2020 5:45 PM
Steve at Sounds Heavenly:

Does anyone know of a web link to the correct process please, so that I can link this in the video description?

The following can be found in the BL 8000 service manual (I can email you the image if you want a better quality to post in your site):

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,795
Gold Member

Thanks,

That is great!  I have updated the video description with the proper process.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL