Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Urgent: how to disable streaming protocols (e.g. Bluetooth) on B&O products?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 1 Follower

bonbazar
Not Ranked
9 Posts
Bronze Member
bonbazar posted on Sat, May 23 2020 6:57 AM

Hello.

I have a series of multiroom products at home, all wired with ethernet cables for the best musical experience. However, over the last few months, I became extremely frustrated with B&O products because of their poor software.

Something I am trying to solve for many months now: I am trying to disable the possibility to stream Bluetooth music to the speakers. My installation is regularly hijacked by unscrupulous neighbours -sometimes overnight- and I can't trace where it is coming from. I had the case with a B&O Core in the living room, now with some beoplay speakers in the bedrooms.

This is highly irritating and one of the many severe flaws of B&O products. I am trying actually to disable all wireless streaming protocols from my speakers (e.g. chrome cast), and it is either impossible or highly tricky/unfriendly to do it (...chromecast). I have contacted B&O but never got an answer. If anyone can help, I would really really appreciate it.Regards,

Emmanuel

All Replies

Fansastic
Top 150 Contributor
The Netherlands
459 Posts
Gold Member
You are clearly angry at B&O but first make sure you had it setup properly to prevent this from happening.

Please start by naming the products you encounter problems with.

On all devices bluetooth can be switched off.

Did you use the app for setup?

BV Eclipse 55 Brass - BL 18 Brass - BL 19 Brass - BL 3 White - BS Moment - BS 2 Brass - BV Horizon 48 - BS3000 - BS 3200 - BS Essence - BL 4000 - V1 40 Black - V1 40 White - BLC NL/ML - H6 -  H4 - E8 Motion - A8 Earphone - Beolit 12 - Beolit 15 - Beoplay A1 Green - Beoplay A3 White

mbee
Top 50 Contributor
Paris, France
1,732 Posts
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Sat, May 23 2020 8:30 AM

There are a lot of B&O products where the Bluetooth is open by default. Turn that off in the settings and voilà, problem solved.

Jaffrey2230
Top 200 Contributor
Washington DC
308 Posts
Bronze Member

Open Bluetooth connection is a feature of Bluetooth and not a problem with B&O. Under Bluetooth settings in the B&O app you can turn it off. In this case you are blaming B&O for a feature of the Bluetooth standard. The default is set to open.

B&O products I use by zones in my home: 

Platform: Apple Home with Google Wi-fi (mesh), 100% streaming audio (Sirius XM, Apple Music, YouTube Music); TV/Office: Beolab 8002 (Red) + Beolab 2 [Sony 65A1E OLED TV, Apple TV 4K];  Living: Beoplay A9 (MK2), Bedroom: Beolab 6000 (Red) + Beolab 11 + Beosound Core [LG UST Projector, Apple TV 4K]; Beoplay M5 Dining: Apple HomePod; Portable: Beosound 1, Beoplay P6, BeoPlay H9 (3rd Gen). 

bonbazar
Not Ranked
9 Posts
Bronze Member
bonbazar replied on Sat, May 23 2020 11:48 PM

Thanks for your answers. The problem with this approach is that I will not be able to use an Essence Remote control on Core for instance. What I am trying to ban is a streaming protocol ore than bluetooth itself... But yeah, this is a good first step on some of my devices...

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
3,884 Posts
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Sun, May 24 2020 1:49 AM
Sorry if I am misunderstanding....but I can turn the open Bluetooth function off on my Essence and Core, but still use my BR1 and Essence remotes with them.

Beolab 50s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Pat
Top 500 Contributor
109 Posts
Bronze Member
Pat replied on Sun, May 24 2020 8:32 AM
Just switch off open for pairing.

1. Make sure your devices are paired.

2. Go to B&O app and disable open for pairing

3. Tell your neighbours to f ... ff
synth
Top 500 Contributor
Off piste
98 Posts
Bronze Member
synth replied on Sun, May 24 2020 8:51 AM

My experience with B and O software is that its poor and they seriously need to lift their game.

Its a but like its all just been thrown in at the last minute.

I work in IT and frankly for a company that prides itself on technical innovation, it risks losing younger customers as they just wont put up with rubbish software.

If B & O want to know why they are losing younger cystomers, its issues like this that will put them off. People in thier 20s are fickle so if the tech is rubbish, they have lots to choose from. One cafe owner bought a 3500 speaker. It used to reset the volune all the time and the phone app was complete crap. He had to climb up on a chair each day to manually adjust the volume, so regretted his purchase.

Likewise, if as a 50yo i buy something expensive and it is hard to use, you can bet i will make sure a tech camps in my floor and wong be allowed to leave until its fixed.....

Bottom line is that a premium product should be hassle free, no excuses. And if its painful, I will go buy a Sonos or LG...

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,050 Posts
Bronze Member

synth:

If B & O want to know why they are losing younger cystomers, its issues like this that will put them off. People in thier 20s are fickle so if the tech is rubbish, they have lots to choose from. One cafe owner bought a 3500 speaker. It used to reset the volune all the time and the phone app was complete crap. He had to climb up on a chair each day to manually adjust the volume, so regretted his purchase.

What do you mean buy ‘a 3500 speaker’?

If you mean the Beolab 3500, there is no way to use a ‘phone app’ with that.

Is is a part of the B&O Masterlink system ( = a link-speaker) and the volume can easily be set to a default value with a Beo4.

If you mean the Beosound 35 (which looks similar in some ways), the default start up volume can easily be set in the Bang & Olufsen app and the volume can easily be controlled with a Beoremote One, a Beo4 or with the Essence Remote.

IMO it can’t be more ‘hasslefree’!

There is absolutely no need to ‘climb up on a chair each day’ to reset the volume'

Technology is not just about how software is made....it is also very much about the people who use it.

Obviously in this case the ‘café owner’ had no interest in learning how to control the gear he had purchased - or he did not care to listen to what he was told, as it was installed.

I guess - with this kind of attitude - he would not be able to control Sonos or LG gear either!

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,050 Posts
Bronze Member

bonbazar:

Thanks for your answers. The problem with this approach is that I will not be able to use an Essence Remote control on Core for instance. What I am trying to ban is a streaming protocol ore than bluetooth itself... But yeah, this is a good first step on some of my devices...

Just wondering for what you are aiming at using these devices???

They are mainly built to use ‘streaming protocols’.....only way not to use streaming there is to connect a device, which plays physical media like a cd- or vinyl player, to the line-in connection - although I have never heard of someone, who just did that ;-(

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL