rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 2 Followers

primmdaddy
Not Ranked
3 Posts
Bronze Member
primmdaddy posted on Sat, May 23 2020 6:14 AM

B&O enthusiasts,

I have recently had to move a significant amount of AV equipment that a friend of the family had to give up due to housing changes. There is a large amount of B&O equipment. I will paste the list below. I have tried to sell some of it (with no luck in rural Alabama), but can keep the BL 5's - if I can find a way to adjust the volume. In the move, all remotes have been lost. Not shown in the equipment list are several IR receiver/volume control modules and various cables.

I would like to have several HDMI sources (Cable, FireTV, BD, Game) and output HDMI to the TV and volume control the BL5's. Can I do this with any of the existing equipment on the list or should I bite the bullet and buy a Beo4 on eBay? I would like to use digital coax but may need to resort to analog RCA. I don't want to start up an old Windows XP computer (Beosound 5) to watch a couple of TV shows before bed. Any suggestions for how to use this equipment would be welcome. High end AV equipment is such a double edged sword as I have not had any luck selling this equipment for the previous owner at respectable prices and do not want to let it go to waste. I have been reviewing this forum and others but do not see a clear path forward for my situation.

BTW, I have e-mailed Steve at Sounds Heavenly, twice, with no response. I have used links or his store e-mail. I am hoping some of you have great suggestions!

Thanks to all!

Component Manufacturer Model QTY Condition
Speakers Bowers and Wilkins Matrix 800 Series 1 #360 2 Good

Bang & Olefsun Beolab 2 1 Good

Bang & Olefsun Beolab 3 4 Good

Bang & Olefsun Beolab 5 2 Very Good

Bang & Olefsun Beolab 3500 1 Fair

Bang & Olefsun Beolab 4000 mk1 2 Fair

Bang & Olefsun Beolab 8000 mk2 2 Very Good

Triad Platinum LCR Front L+R, C + Sub 1 each Fair

Polk CSi6 (center) 1 Good

Definitive Tech Powerfield DT-0033 12” Sub 1 Good
Amps Aragon 8008x3 1 Good

Krell FPB-200 1 Good

Halcro MC-70 1 Good

Cambridge P500 1 Fair
Receivers Harmon Kardon HK880VXi 1 Fair

Denon AVR-1912 1 Good
Power Supply Monster Power HTS-5100 1 Good

Monster Power AVS-2000 1 Fair

Richard Gray Pole Pig 6 outlet 1 Good

Richard Gray RGPC400 Pro 2 Fair

Richard Gray Extender 1 Good
Pre-amp Krell Home Theater Standard 5.1 1 Fair

Krell Audio + Video Standard 1 Fair

Denon AVP-A1HDC1 1 Good

Sony EP9ES 1 Fair
Media Sources Pioneer CLD 1090 Laser Disc 1 Fair

Pioneer PDR W839 3+1 CD 1 Fair

Sony CDP CE235 1 Fair

Sony DVP-S7700 1 Fair

Toshiba SD9200 1 Fair

Nakamichi CR-1A 1 Fair

Revox B790 1 Poor
Other Bang & Olefsun BeoVision 5 1 each Good

Bang & Olefsun Beosound 8 1 Good

Bang & Olefsun Beosound 5 1 each Very Good

Bang & Olefsun Beomaster 5 1 Good

Bang & Olefsun Beolink Passive 1 Good

Bang & Olefsun Beolink Active 1 Good

Bang & Olefsun Beolink Wireless 1 NIB

All Replies

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
1,458 Posts
Gold Member
TWG replied on Sat, May 23 2020 9:40 AM

Hi,

you can use RCA or digital connection from any source of your choice but the Beolab 5 have to be set up accordingly. For that you'll need a Beo 4 remote.
When using them with non Bang & Olufsen sources a synchronisation cable is required between both speakers to ensure that they both play the same volume level.

Userguide: https://bangolufsenassistentgohe.blob.core.windows.net/manuals/SPEAKERS/BEOLAB%205/EN-BeoLab5.pdf

primmdaddy
Not Ranked
3 Posts
Bronze Member

TWG,

Thank you for the reply. I had downloaded the manual and saw the requirement as well. I had hoped in the intervening years, a new method was available. The more remotes we have, the more resistant my wife will be to allowing me to use the equipment! Listening to the BL 5's through the Beosound 5 was great, but the Beosound is entirely too finicky, with limited inputs, to be a long term solution.

If anyone has other suggestions or has code to make a Logitech Harmony compatible, please advise.

Thanks again!

primmdaddy
Not Ranked
3 Posts
Bronze Member

I think I have a more elegant solution to my problem. I have ordered a used Beo4 on e-bay. The elegant part here is how to get a source signal and not fool with a receiver/pre-amp. Not shown on the equipment list above (but now seemingly very important) is a Monarchy Audio Digital Interface Processor (DIP). If it works, I believe I can output the the digital optical output from the TV to the DIP. The DIP should then output a digital coax to the BL5's. Add a sync cable and I think I've got it covered. Then my wife can watch her shows with or without the BL5's and I can watch my shows while she's at work (night time ICU nurse) with some incredible sound. I believe I'll need to use the Beo4 for on/off and volume, correct? I think this will be the simplest solution I can find. Any opinions?

Barry Santini
Top 150 Contributor
New York
504 Posts
Bronze Member
primmdaddy:

I think I have a more elegant solution to my problem. I have ordered a used Beo4 on e-bay. The elegant part here is how to get a source signal and not fool with a receiver/pre-amp. Not shown on the equipment list above (but now seemingly very important) is a Monarchy Audio Digital Interface Processor (DIP). If it works, I believe I can output the the digital optical output from the TV to the DIP. The DIP should then output a digital coax to the BL5's. Add a sync cable and I think I've got it covered. Then my wife can watch her shows with or without the BL5's and I can watch my shows while she's at work (night time ICU nurse) with some incredible sound. I believe I'll need to use the Beo4 for on/off and volume, correct? I think this will be the simplest solution I can find. Any opinions?

Yes. Buy a Beovision
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL