Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

My next TV/Movie setup - stay with B&O or move on?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 10 Replies | 1 Follower

kawo
Top 500 Contributor
140 Posts
Founder
kawo posted on Tue, May 19 2020 5:35 PM

I am close to pull the plug on my next genration of my TV & Movie experience setup and looking for some advice.

Started a while ago with a „Beoliving“ setup with a Beosystem 3, BV4-50 and a motorized screen plus projector with a 5.0 setup (no sub because oft he Beolab 5). 8 years ago a very nice setup!

So this setup is really outdated these days, I can’t stand anymore the (sorry to say...) poor sound and picture quality of the BS3. My current setup is a LG C9 65“ with a Stage for nice TV and basic movie experience and a Core driving a pair of Beolab 5 for stereo.  The C9 might grow to a 77“ shortly, I am so impressed by the quality of the OLED panels that the hazzle with a projector and screen in a living room setup is not what I will go for anymore.

A couple of options come to my mind: 

First, stay with B&O, either go with a Harmony or Ecplise (both with out the screen as I will use my panel). So all will be nicely integrated, but lacking the sound options for a movie enthusiast and also comes with a hefty price. Also no room calibration.

Second, go with Denon reveiver with all bells and whistless including a Atmos setup with celing speakers and Auro-3D sound. (so a 5.0.4 setup). In this case I will use a Almando powerlink splittert o drive the Beolab 5 with the Core for Stereo and Multiroom and the Denon on the other hand. Downside you have the hazzle of the remotes not beeing the full B&O experience, also cabeling needs some more love than the pure B&O setup.

But my main question, how much  you loose out when you stay with the B&O ecosystem? Is there a big difference of the Harmony and Eclipse in terms of electronics/chips/sound format capabilities? 

All Replies

kawo
Top 500 Contributor
140 Posts
Founder
kawo replied on Sat, May 23 2020 5:38 PM

So long story short, I ordered a Harmony today with the new Bronze Wallnut Cover. Th plan is to wall mount the Harmony, but dealer will help me with a floor stand before the wall is ready.

Very exited how it will sound at home!

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
2,439 Posts
Gold Member
Duels replied on Sat, May 23 2020 7:54 PM
Fantastic. Please post a picture of your new TV when you have it set up. Enjoy!,
HarryP
Not Ranked
23 Posts
Bronze Member
HarryP replied on Tue, May 26 2020 8:37 PM

Difficult to say. You ordered your new TV, so a decision reached anyway :-). I have discussed this many times, both with my dealer as well as friends. Still no conclusion. Bought the Axim, but in the end not the experience I have with my full B&O setup. Current status is that I keep my B&O gear and wait till the new soundbar will arrive which will make using an LG Oled television combined with B&O speakers, moment etc., possible. Date of availability... little but unknown. Originally I (my dealer) was expecting this this year, we will see..... I am not in a hurry.

Mikipidia
Top 75 Contributor
1,755 Posts
Gold Member
Are you working on it? I really hope you have looooooong time to wait as i can’t see one for atleast a year or two

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beolab 3's, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

mikipedi4 on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/mikipedi4

Old: Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

kawo
Top 500 Contributor
140 Posts
Founder
kawo replied on Wed, May 27 2020 6:50 PM

So picked up the Harmony today, the Soundcenter is fixed in a pretty impressive big and heavy box on a palette. At the shop we had the chance to compare the Bronze/Walnut and Brass/Smoked Oak panels, after some back and forth I went with the Brass ones. Quite a big surprise as I never liked the Brass tone... let's see how this is going to look like in my living room.

Dream setup would be black finish with smoked oak like the BL50. But maybe in the future. 

kawo
Top 500 Contributor
140 Posts
Founder
kawo replied on Thu, Sep 10 2020 2:57 PM

after enjoying the Harmony for a couple of month now I am back with the idea to integrate a projector for even a bigger cinema experience. 

I guess this needs some compromise as the whole system is build around the LG Screen. My BluRay player has a second Audio only output so I may give this a trey to start.

Any experience or ideas how to approach this journey best?

Doonesbury
Top 500 Contributor
Landisville, PA, USA
168 Posts
Bronze Member

I too have a projector and screen.

I suggest going with an acoustically transparent screen.  This will permit locating the speakers behind the screen not to mention raising the center speaker up so it is even with the left and right speakers.  I built a stand so my BL7.4 tweeter is at the same height as the BL5s on either side.

I have a Seymour Screen Excellence Elightor Neo (fixed frame).

D

kawo
Top 500 Contributor
140 Posts
Founder
kawo replied on Sat, Sep 12 2020 10:31 PM

thank you for your suggestions, I still have a screen and a projector left over from my old Beoliving setup from yesteryears which I want to reuse,  wondering how to best route audio and video. 

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,240 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Sat, Sep 12 2020 10:45 PM

kawo:

So this setup is really outdated these days, I can’t stand anymore the (sorry to say...) poor sound and picture quality of the BS3. My current setup is a LG C9 65“ with a Stage for nice TV and basic movie experience and a Core driving a pair of Beolab 5 for stereo.  

Out of interest, how did you connect the Core to the C9/Stage setup?

Sophronia
Not Ranked
1 Posts
Bronze Member

Watch movies on the TV and projection screen in the large room, a great choice for weekend entertainment.

Install hteem oroetv 1.9.0 app on smart TV to experience more fascinating and interesting world of feature films. Oreo tv for android tv provides many attractive TV programs in the world and completely free. Diverse in genres and versions on phones, TVs, computers and devices on Android platforms.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL