2,886 Posts
Bronze Member
Hiort posted on Thu, May 14 2020 8:37 AM

Nice review by John:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0MvRlr-Lng

Available om B&O page:

https://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/speakers/beosound-a1

But why Alexa rather than Google....

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

All Replies

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
762 Posts
Bronze Member

How does Alexa work, can it connect to the internet or?

Beovision Harmony 77" 2nd Gen, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1, Beoplay M3, Beoplay Portal, Beoplay Earset, Beoliving Intelligence 

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,886 Posts
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Thu, May 14 2020 9:07 AM

Emil Jensen:

How does Alexa work, can it connect to the internet or?

The feature require a connection to your phone. Alexa is available 3 hours after you shut the A1 off, so there is some standby function. But the phone needs still to be available.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

Normann
Top 500 Contributor
277 Posts
Bronze Member

Hiort:

Nice review by John:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0MvRlr-Lng

Available om B&O page:

https://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/speakers/beosound-a1

But why Alexa rather than Google....

I don't understand B&O sometimes... Why have they dropped out Google for Alexa on this product??? They seems to jump around in search for a solution, and can't decide the path forward in time...

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
762 Posts
Bronze Member

But it is clearly not the same function,

The beosounds with Google assist is by them self on wifi,

This is apparently not, so maybe google cannot be used this way???

Beovision Harmony 77" 2nd Gen, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1, Beoplay M3, Beoplay Portal, Beoplay Earset, Beoliving Intelligence 

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,886 Posts
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Thu, May 14 2020 9:59 AM

Emil Jensen:

This is apparently not, so maybe google cannot be used this way???

That is a possible explanation.

Top 150 Contributor
521 Posts
Bronze Member
1990 replied on Thu, May 14 2020 10:04 AM

I guess the difference is that you can use Google Assistant and Siri too, but you have to press the microphone button instead of just talking to the speaker itself.

Alexa is coming to the Balance as well. B&O aim to become “agnostic” but the ways to implement these voice assistants are more dependent on Amazon and Google than on B&O I think.

Top 150 Contributor
521 Posts
Bronze Member
1990 replied on Thu, May 14 2020 10:06 AM

And in a way you can think of the reason why only Alexa can be used this way in a Bluetooth speaker: if you use GVA or Siri, your phone is already listening to you. So you don’t need a third party speaker to act as a microphone.

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
762 Posts
Bronze Member

"B&O says this is the first Bluetooth-only speaker with Alexa “fully integrated.”

Daniel
Not Ranked
Hamburg, Germany
7 Posts
Bronze Member
Daniel replied on Thu, May 14 2020 12:02 PM

I like it a lot. The design changes are minor but somehow it looks more modern with a fresh look. I think it will continue the success story of the A1. What I don’t like is the status LED in the grille though. When it’s off you always see that one dark spot where the LED sits. 

Exist to create

rgbyhkr
Not Ranked
23 Posts
Bronze Member
rgbyhkr replied on Thu, May 14 2020 12:50 PM

One key question would be if moving to BT 5.1 improves the reliability of the stereo pair connection.  I’ve tried that on first gen A1s, but dropouts have discouraged me from using it more often - which is a shame because they really do sound great in stereo.  I have successfully used a wired solution with a L/R splitter and separate 3.5mm cable runs to each speaker, but that really defeats the benefit of being able to wirelessly stereo pair.

Jeff

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
4,301 Posts
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Thu, May 14 2020 1:11 PM
I notice it also has Apple, Google, and Microsoft fast pair. I have not heard those terms before. Are they something new, or just new terminology? I also see that the B and O app has been updated to add the ability to sign in with one’s Apple account when setting up products.

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Ferdinand
Top 150 Contributor
Malmö, Sweden
541 Posts
Gold Member

Can the new A1 be used without Alexa (it can) But I mean without any kind of account / subscription to Amazon to get it installed/working.

I contacted my dealer today actually to get an A1 'OG' but they were sold out. I can think of still buying the new A1 then but any pre-registration like with the GVA Beasounds is a no go for me.

Mikipidia
Top 50 Contributor
2,156 Posts
Bronze Member
Ferdinand:

Can the new A1 be used without Alexa (it can) But I mean without any kind of account / subscription to Amazon to get it installed/working.

I contacted my dealer today actually to get an A1 'OG' but they were sold out. I can think of still buying the new A1 then but any pre-registration like with the GVA Beasounds is a no go for me.

Yes no problem, that’s how i’ve been using the gen2.

It’s a big inprovement over the mk1 in terms of sound, amazing they pulled it off like this again Big Smile

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 28's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay Portal, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Mikipedi4 on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/mikipedi4

Mikipedia on Intagram: https://www.instagram.com/mikipedi4/

Old: Beosound 9000 mk3, Beolab 3's, Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Daniel
Not Ranked
Hamburg, Germany
7 Posts
Bronze Member
Daniel replied on Thu, May 14 2020 4:25 PM

I was lucky to order an A1 from my dealer in Natural Brushed last minute. It has to be the first Contrast Collection product to be discontinued then. 

Exist to create

Page 1 of 3 (35 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL