Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Beolab 8000 + beolab 11?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 18 Replies | 2 Followers

jans
Top 200 Contributor
Belgium
393 Posts
Bronze Member
jans posted on Sat, Jan 5 2013 7:50 PM
Hi all,

Here is a question to the Forum.

I currently have 2 Beolab 8000 hooked up to my Beoplay V1. Works great!

I am considering to add a Beolab 11 as subwoofer to the system. I am less of a movie guy, but listen a lot to music, ranging from classical music to rock and pop.

What is the advice from the Forum? Will it improve my listening experience?

Jan

All Replies

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
7,215 Posts
Founder
9 LEE replied on Sat, Jan 5 2013 8:04 PM

No - a BeoLab 11 will make little difference.  The 11 is much more suited to BeoLab 4, 4000 and 6000's.

Get a BeoLab 2 and you'll be much happier, I promise. Smile

Lee

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
3,531 Posts
Bronze Member

The Beolab 2 was so powerful my doors were coming off their hinges. Get one.Yes - thumbs up

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

karlquist
Not Ranked
44 Posts
Bronze Member
Suggested by karlquist

Hi i have beolab 8000 with beolab 11 now 

ilike it verry much now thesound is better 

with movies and music 

grt carl

mivsbai
Not Ranked
77 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi lee

Maybe you are the best person to ask, what is your  opinion on beolab 3 with beolab 11 or beolab 2?  Which combo is better? I mainly use speakers for music and occasionally for music, and I just have one pair of beolab 3 now, maybe will upgrade to 5.1 set up later. Btw, I will connect speakers directly to an oppo 105 player, so not much sound setting available. And my room size is about 50m2

Many thanks

Yendys
Top 500 Contributor
Sydney
312 Posts
Bronze Member
I have BL8000 with BL2 and think they are a great match for music and movies.
jans
Top 200 Contributor
Belgium
393 Posts
Bronze Member
jans replied on Sun, Jan 6 2013 8:07 PM

I see most of you recommend a BL2 instead of a BL11 to go with the BL8000's, even for music. I have read elsewhere on the forum that the BL2 is a bit slow, and too much "boom-boom" to be a good companion for music.

Any feedback from Forum: should I go for BL11 or BL2?

Jans

DrDimitris
Top 150 Contributor
Greece
699 Posts
Founder

BL2 hands down in my opinion. 

Dimitris-

afcintra
Not Ranked
8 Posts
Bronze Member

Beolab 11 works great with BL 3s.  It helps to make a fuller sound and frees up the 3s to work on mediums and highs.

kuyttendaele
Top 150 Contributor
702 Posts
Bronze Member

I own BL8000... the BL11 was my best addition in the recent years... For music it adds a lot more depth to my music... and (for my opinion) also to movies.. But since I'm living in an appartement a BL11 is sufficient.

I have tried a BL2 in the past (before buying a BL11)... also no complaintes... but the neighbors were not that keen on it.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,599 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi jans,

here is another twist on that subject.

Subwoofers are great for movies in a 5.1-setup - a BL11 or a BL2 depending on the size of the room.

For music in a stereo-setup you should go for a "complete" speaker. With the BL5 or BL9 you have two of them build right into the speakers.

(For music) if you go for the 8000 and one of the subs set the 8000 up via the sub - not via sub-port on your tv.

Otherweise - If you are into tweeking of the sound, you might on the V1 use the subport AND do some experimenting with the soundsettings.

According to reports from V1/BV11 you could get superb results for different listening-situations after some tweeking.

This thread might give you some inspiration:

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/3372.aspx?PageIndex=1

Greetings Millemissen

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
2,542 Posts
Bronze Member
I agree with you, Millemissen.

Some years ago I rented a Beolab 2 for test purposes from my dealer. For movies (Speaker 5) I had very much fun with this big and powerful subwoofer (also because my neighboors are far away). But listening to music (Speaker 2) with the BL 2 was a real horror ("Boom-boom").

And because it's not possible to configure a Beovision to play without a connected subwoofer in Speaker-2-modus, I carried it back to my dealer. Probably this is possible with the new V1 and BV 11.

Regards

Räuber
DrDimitris
Top 150 Contributor
Greece
699 Posts
Founder

Raeuber:

Some years ago I rented a Beolab 2 for test purposes from my dealer. For movies (Speaker 5) I had very much fun with this big and powerful subwoofer (also because my neighboors are far away). But listening to music (Speaker 2) with the BL 2 was a real horror ("Boom-boom").

I am always wondering on this boom-boom issue that keeps recycling by some fellow beoworlder's on BL2. First of all it is a matter of proper placement and size of the room. Second the BL2 can be more subtle if you adjust the 2 switches on the back (1,2,3) and (wall, corner, free).

I tend to repeat that Dave Moulton himself has stated in the old forum that has never experienced a lag on music with BL2. 

So in my opinion it is easier to "keep down" a BL2, than "boost up" a BL 11 if u need it. This will never happen. It is really "soft".

But again, we all listen differently and so you might want to have a live demo test before you decide. Smile

Dimitris-

AP
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member
AP replied on Thu, Nov 20 2014 12:14 PM

Hi Millemissen...I had posted a question sometime ago about choosing BL2 or BL11 with the 8002. I found an excellent post that helped me decide to use the BL11 with the 8002, as I am not interested in loud bass, but in speed and accuracy of the bass (which is not there in the 8002 speakers).

I now have another question...see if you can help me

I am planning on using the BL11 with a denon pre-amp that has only 1 pre out jack...which I will connect to the BL11 and then speakers to the BL11. 

But I spoke with someone a few minutes ago who said it is better I get a non BnO subwoofer where I can adjust the frequency settings (by using a splitter from my single pre-out RCA jack to accommodate both the new subwoofer and the 8002s). he said if I use the BL11 then I will not be able to adjust the frequency and might not get the desired kick/punch I am looking for?

What do you feel? Is it ok to use the BL11/8002 combination without having the ability to control the frequency on the BL11? in other words, will the settings on the BL11 be enough to get the right output

cheers

Rivenflush
Top 200 Contributor
Gothenburg
333 Posts
Bronze Member

On the same subject, I just purchased a Beolab 11 and now have two options. Either I add it to the BL4000 I have in my bedroom or I add it to the 5.1 pre-amp system that I have in the living room. If I do the latter - should I add it to the Subwoofer pre-out or between the pre-out front jacks and the BL8000 I have as fronts 

My B&O products: Beosound 9000, Beosound 2300, Beosound Century, Beolab 8000, Beolab 6000, Beolab 4000 x2, Beolab 3500, Beolab 2000, Beolab 10, Beolink Active x2, Beotime, Beo5 x2, Beo4, A9 keyring x2, LC2 dimmer x6 and growing....

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL