Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

BeoSound 2 - Difference between model versions...

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 57 Replies | 1 Follower

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
676 Posts
Bronze Member
The Beonic Man posted on Fri, May 8 2020 9:59 PM

Hi all,

Going to buy a new BeoSound 2 next week but unsure whether to choose the first model without Google Assistant or the latest model with it. Only £100 price difference between the two, but are there actually any differences other than the inclusion of the assistant; for example sound quality, connections, bluetooth, airplay etc?

I already have Google products in my home including several minis and hubs. Also a complete Nest systems including Nest cams, smoke detectors and the Hello video doorbell all linked to the Google Home app on my iPhone. With these products in use, would I still be able to control the BS2 (version 1) by voice, and would there be any need to upgrade to the later version?

Any and all comments appreciated please. Thanks in advance, Simon.

BV11-46, BV8-32, V1-32, BS2, P6, A1, E8, BR1, Essence

All Replies

Jaffrey2230
Top 150 Contributor
Washington DC
447 Posts
Silver Member

My experience has always been to get the latest version. In my case, I bought 2 generations of BL6000s, they were supposedly unchanged, the 2nd gen sounded better, lasted longer. I owned a BL 8000 mk2 and then BL8002, they were supposed to sound the same. There is no doubt the BL 8002 sounds better. I went from Beoplay H9i to H9 3rd gen with the voice assistant. Both Bluetooth and noise cancelling are better on the 3rd gen. I therefore went with the BS1 GVA. I seldom use GVA, but when I need to, it works perfectly for simple things. If it were me, I’d go with the latest. I am really impressed with the current gen of B&O products. The quality seems to be top notch.

My 2 cents worth. 

My B&O Home: 

• Beolab 8002 + Beolab 2 + Beosound Core with Essence Remote (Office)
  • Beolab 6000 + Beolab 11 + Beosound Core (Bedroom)
  • Beoplay A9 Mk2 (Living Room)
  • Beosound 1 with wireless dock (Portable)
  • Beoplay M5 (Dining)
  • Beoplay H95 (Focused listening, travel)
  • Beoplay H9 (3rd gen) (retired)
  • Beoplay P6 (Portable)
  • Beotime wall clock (hallway entrance)
  • Beoremote X (better than Eclipse and Halo Big Smile)

andybandy
Top 500 Contributor
123 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi The Beonix man,

not many know, but you can order the second version without Google assistent if you want.

the second version have a newer audio engine than the first one. 
thats meen it respons better on AirPlay 2 and chrome cast. And also is more ready for new function coming up. The second version is open for order in 2 different version. With or without Google.

:) good luck for your choice.  

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,148 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Sat, May 9 2020 12:04 PM

andybandy:

not many know, but you can order the second version without Google assistent if you want.

To be fair, it's advertised on the Bang & Olufsen website :) There's the GA version and non-GA version. I have the non-GA.

I also have the first revision and it's absolutely fine with AirPlay 2 and Chromecast - better and more responsive than my Edge!

My only point would be, if you go for a Natural or Bronze, just make sure you do get the newer BeoSound 2 as both those colours came with the first revision.

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
676 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks guys.

Curious what colours people have chosen? I note there is a new brushed finish available but not sure what I think looking at photos. Looks a little too brushed to me in an awkward direction. Maybe someone purchased one and can comment further? I am also a fan of bronze when it comes to sculptures so this colour could be an interesting addition to the home. However, I am not sure that its the same bronze you would find on typical sculptural works of art; it looks much more darker to me so wouldn't match. Anyway, fun to think about it before making the purchase.

Anyone bought the Balance over the BeoSound 2 or maybe have both and can make a sound comparison? I've not seen it or heard it but on photos alone it's just not appealing to me at all. I heard the BeoSound 2 several years ago at a dealer and was blown away by the sound and the shape and design is pure B&O to me. Excited to purchase.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,148 Posts
Bronze Member

The Beonic Man:

Thanks guys.

Curious what colours people have chosen? I note there is a new brushed finish available but not sure what I think looking at photos. Looks a little too brushed to me in an awkward direction. Maybe someone purchased one and can comment further?

I have the naturally brushed A1 and would probably agree that I'm not sure I'd want it on something as big as the BeoSound 2. It's quite obviously brushed.

I have the Infantry Green BeoSound 2.

Don't buy something if you don't like the look of it. It's not going to blow you away - if you want that go for an Edge or A9. Far far better than a BeoSound 2. My A9 blows the doors of the BeoSound 2. I'd prefer a pre-loved A9 over a BeoSound 2 any day.

Jaffrey2230
Top 150 Contributor
Washington DC
447 Posts
Silver Member

I actually bought the Beoplay A9 over the BS 2about a year and a half ago. I then bought a BS Stage to use only for music. If there was a Balance, I might have gotten the Balance instead. I did extensive listening of the BS 2 and feel the Stage, A9 and Balance would likely outperform it. I haven’t heard the most recent BS 2 or Balance. I have a new BS 1 in Anthracite and it sounds OK, not as good as the M5 (which I also have), but looks amazing and is also battery powered. Perhaps the BS 1 and 2 sacrifice some performance for the looks. To me the BS 2 looks amazing. 

My B&O Home: 

• Beoplay M5 (Dining)
  • Beoplay P6 (Portable)

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
676 Posts
Bronze Member

moxxey:
Don't buy something if you don't like the look of it. It's not going to blow you away - if you want that go for an Edge or A9. Far far better than a BeoSound 2. My A9 blows the doors of the BeoSound 2. I'd prefer a pre-loved A9 over a BeoSound 2 any day.

Thanks Chris.

I know you are a huge fan of the A9 and I have been considering that too. The appeal of the A9 would be the choice of covers, several of which would really add something aesthetically to my home but not necessarily the sound. I say this because I live in a small dwelling and simply wouldn't need the power of the A9 to fill such a small lounge. It is a beast, well liked with top reviews I know.

If you are saying that the A9 offers a better quality sound (I know this is so subjective) compared with the BS2 at similar volume levels, say 50-60, then that's an important point and perhaps I should reconsider. I really do like the designs of both and am surprised you say the BS2 doesn't blow you away but then its not going to against something like an A9 I suppose.

Very difficult selecting speakers as we all hear and like different things. I always find it tricky to explain the kind of sound that appeals to me but over the years I've loved the BL4000s, BL8000s, BL3s and BL9s and purchased them as a result. Does that help give a better idea of the kind of sound I like? I suppose I am drawn to a warm, well rounded, cosy and complete (sound that surrounds me) experience if that makes sense. I remember really liking the sound from the original BL4000s, that was just lovely to my ears but I couldn't afford them at the time.

Any further comments helpful along with which model of A9 you would recommend. Thanks again.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,148 Posts
Bronze Member

The Beonic Man:

moxxey:

Thanks Chris.

I know you are a huge fan of the A9 and I have been considering that too.

The A9 is a huge step above the BeoSound 2. Fills a massive room and has a much wider sound (or appears that way).

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
676 Posts
Bronze Member

Jaffrey2230:

I actually bought the Beoplay A9 over the BS 2about a year and a half ago. I then bought a BS Stage to use only for music. If there was a Balance, I might have gotten the Balance instead. I did extensive listening of the BS 2 and feel the Stage, A9 and Balance would likely outperform it. I haven’t heard the most recent BS 2 or Balance. I have a new BS 1 in Anthracite and it sounds OK, not as good as the M5 (which I also have), but looks amazing and is also battery powered. Perhaps the BS 1 and 2 sacrifice some performance for the looks. To me the BS 2 looks amazing. 

Thanks Jaffrey.

Any other thoughts about the type of sound and experience you had from your extensive listening with the BeoSound 2? I'd be interested in how you would describe the sound and your overall listening experience? I have only ever heard it once. A few years ago when the BeoLab 50s came out I had arranged for a demo of them with a dealer near London. When I walked into the shop and heard the music playing I was quite literally blown away by what I was hearing. I commented how amazing the sound was. The owner said to me, "Simon, I haven't switched them on yet, that's the BeoSound 2 you're listening to." Hence, my instant love for this product - a natural love affair without any thought or discussion.

Recalling the above memory, I would add to the comment I just left Moxxey that the A9, impressive as it is, sounds like the big powerful speaker you would expect it to be given its shape and form. In contrast, the BeoSound 2 was interesting, captivating, shocked me and blew me away in the sense that I just didn't expect to hear what I did from that thing! I have always loved industrial designs too so the BS2 fits that bill more than the A9, which I would categorise more as a furnishing.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,148 Posts
Bronze Member

The Beonic Man:

Any other thoughts about the type of sound and experience you had from your extensive listening with the BeoSound 2?

I'd try and listen yourself rather than trying to make a judgement from other people's experiences. What I'd like visually might differ fro someone else (I love the Edge, someone else on here said they completely disliked the design). Some people might love the boomy experience of the A9, others will prefer the BeoSound 2. You have to make that judgement yourself.

I found the Stage to be fairly average, for example, but others love it.

I hear John Lewis is opening up again from mid-May. Perhaps have a drive to Cribbs Causeway and see if they have the A9 v BeoSound 2 v Stage on display? They stock them all.

Jaffrey2230
Top 150 Contributor
Washington DC
447 Posts
Silver Member

The many times I have heard the BS2, in the office and people’s home the sound is excellent. As a portable speaker, I can’t think of any better speaker. A colleague of mine for instance picked the BS 2 over a Devialet Phantom, which I believe is more powerful. I guess you can adjust the sound in the app, but it sounds ‘brighter’ than the A9 and the A9 also sounds more effortless for bass heavy music. I was OK with both the BS2 and A9, but my wife preferred the A9 and hence why we went with it. The most amazing thing to me about the BS2 is the amount of sound (full ness ) that comes out of such a small speaker and the fact you can place it anywhere. You definitely won’t regret it. I don’t think the reviewers do it justice because both people I know who own them love the BS2 and have audiophile quality gear in their home - it’s the only B&O product they own from what I know, so they bought it purely on value....not brand loyalty.

My B&O Home: 

• Beoplay M5 (Dining)
  • Beoplay P6 (Portable)

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
687 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Sat, May 9 2020 6:33 PM

I have the “old” pre-GA Bs2, and it works great. I got a nice deal on it because the GA model was coming out so I would expect a > 100 difference. At only 100, I might go with the GA as the non-GA will be at least 1.5 years old (I think).

The GA model also has additional “presets”. I thought this would be important, but most of my favorite radio stations left iTunes so I pretty much need a phone to use it so it turned out to not matter that much to me.

I use it for my office so an A9 would be overkill. If I’m truthful, the Bs2 is probably also overkill, but the bs1 did not impress me. I do like the acoustic lense sound. It does give good sound throughout my office - when I’m at my desk and when I’m in my comfy chair. It replaced a pair of Bl8000s. For this application, I prefer the bs2 because I could not place the bl8000s optimally. It also sounds “punchier” at the lower sound levels I normally listen too (but is no slouch when turned up).
Mikipidia
Top 75 Contributor
1,580 Posts
Gold Member
Bang for the buck the stage has it hands down and is also cheaper. The Stage is a ridiculous value for money and if you have the space and the looks are secondary I would say go for the stage every time. I have BS2 and it’s lovely but it can’t compete with a Stage at all. Big Smile

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beolab 3's, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube (finally Stick out tongue )

https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Old: Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Jaffrey2230
Top 150 Contributor
Washington DC
447 Posts
Silver Member

I have a Stage on a chest of drawers in my dining room. It looks pretty nice and really sound great even just as an audio system. It’s because the Stage is so good that I thought the Balance might be a better choice for audio quality over the BS2.

My B&O Home: 

• Beoplay M5 (Dining)
  • Beoplay P6 (Portable)

Page 1 of 4 (58 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL