Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Integrating Beomaster 5500 and Beolink Passive

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 40 Replies | 2 Followers

styppen
Top 500 Contributor
Slovenia
84 Posts
Bronze Member
styppen posted on Fri, Apr 17 2020 11:25 PM

Hi all,

I have a Beomaster 5500 in my living room. I’m considering putting a pair of CX50s in my kitchen and somehow connect them to Beomaster 5500.

I also like the Beolink Passive in a combination with a circular IR eye. I was hoping to enable/disable speakers in the kitchen and control the volume with the IR eye buttons.

Since Beolink Passive uses MasterLink I was wondering whether integrating them is possible. 

The way I understand Beomaster speaks Master Control Link (MCL) and Beolink Passive speaks MasterLink (ML) and you have to “translate” that.

Can this be achieved by using a Beolink Converter to translate MCL to ML? Then connect the Beolink Converter to the Beolink Passive ML?

The thing that also confuses is the audio signal level. In MCL the audio signal is at speaker level. I imagine this signal should be somehow attenuated to line level for the Beolink Passive.

I feel like I’m missing something out here and I would really appreciate some help.

Thanks

All Replies

styppen
Top 500 Contributor
Slovenia
84 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks, things are definitely more clear now. I was not aware of the Audio AUX Link and its features.

styppen
Top 500 Contributor
Slovenia
84 Posts
Bronze Member

I tried connecting Beolink Passive to my Beomaster 5500 and I'm having some issues.

Here's the setup:

Beomaster 5500 (TAPE2/AUX) ---- DataLink ---> Beolink Converter (1611) ---- MasterLink ----> Beolink Passive

When I plug the Beolink Passive into mains a green LED is lit inside the Passive and after a couple of seconds it goes to red. I assume this LED indicates standby mode. The PLAY LED on the IR eye is also turned on once Passive is plugged into mains.

I followed the procedure as described here on the forum and I plugged the Beolink Converter in mains as the last component.

Unfortunately, nothing happens when I press the PLAY button on the IR eye. Also if I turn on the Beomaster on whatever source, and press PLAY on the IR eye, still nothing comes out of the speakers connected to the Passive. The LED in the Passive chassis remains red.

I tried this setup on two separate Beomasters 5500 and I get the same result. There's no indicators on the Converter to determine whether the component is working.

Am I missing something? Doing something wrong?

Thanks for your help!

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
2,449 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Mon, May 4 2020 2:46 PM

Are you definitely using a 7 pin datalink/aux cable?

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
2,449 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Mon, May 4 2020 2:50 PM

And check that it is plugged into the converter’s TV/AUX socket, not powerlink

styppen
Top 500 Contributor
Slovenia
84 Posts
Bronze Member

I'm positive I'm using a 7 PIN DIN cable. Purchased it from Steve.

The cable is plugged in the TAPE2/AUX on the Beomaster 5500 and in AUDIO AUX LINK input on the Converter.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
2,078 Posts
Gold Member

Hi,

That should all be correct - which version of Beolink Converter are you using please (sorry if you mentioned it previously, I couldn't see it)?

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

styppen
Top 500 Contributor
Slovenia
84 Posts
Bronze Member

The converter is:

• Beolink Converter EU
  • Type No: 1611
  • Item No: 1161166
  • SW: 1.3

This is my primary suspect. I have no way of knowing if it works or not.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
2,078 Posts
Gold Member

Thanks,

The converter is the correct one, however I agree that it looks to be the primary suspect at the moment until we know if it is working......

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

styppen
Top 500 Contributor
Slovenia
84 Posts
Bronze Member

Any ideas how to check if the existing Beolink Converter is actually working?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,396 Posts
Bronze Member

styppen:

Yes - try another Audiomaster, a BM6500/7000/4500..

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
2,449 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Tue, May 5 2020 3:58 PM

styppen:

Maybe try disconnecting the converter from the 5500 and try using it as an audiomaster, as discussed in this and other threads: https://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/35644/264765.aspx#264765

styppen
Top 500 Contributor
Slovenia
84 Posts
Bronze Member

@MM, thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, I don't have any other Beomasters at hand.

@Guy, I tried your suggestion. I used Steve's DIN to 3.5mm cable and still no sound from the speakers.

I disassembled the Beolink Converter and check if there's anything fishy going on. I found a voltage regulator element and measured its input and output voltage. The input voltage is 0.3V and the output voltage is 0.2V. With my limited knowledge I've established that this is not correct since input voltage should be higher than 5V and the output voltage should be 5V.

I'm ruling this Beolink Converter as faulty. I don't have the knowledge to further troubleshoot and fix this problem. I'll try to find another Beolink Converter. Unless someone has any other suggestions :).

styppen
Top 500 Contributor
Slovenia
84 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi

I'm still working on getting my configuration up and running. Last week, I ruled out that my Beolink Converter 1611 is faulty. I managed to find a replacement and just received it today.

I tried the setup with the Beolink Converter as an Audio master to keep things simple.

I connected it to the Passive and Converter via ML cable. After powering on the system (converter plugged in as last) the green LED inside the Passive is lit up and after a couple of seconds it changes to red. Additionally, LED at PLAY button is lit when Passive is powered. I assume system is in stand by mode at that point.

I tried fiddling with the IR eye and I found out the following.

• When TIMER button is pressed, TIMER LED is lit
  • When pressing PLAY button, nothing happens. I would expect that the Passive should turn on and that green light in the chassis is turned on.
  • When pressing UP/DOWN buttons, nothing happens.
  • The PLAY LED blinks when I change the configuration via OPTION programming. I tried all supported options and nothing happens. The PLAY LED also blinks when buttons UP and DOWN on the Beo4 are pressed.

I hooked the IR eye to an Arduino and managed to communicate with the I2C chip. I was able to confirm that all buttons are working. Also the IR receiver is in working condition.

At this point I don't know how to proceed. But I'm my primary suspect now is Beolink Passive. I checked the manuals for Passive and I found nothing of help. Does someone have any ideas what I could try?

styppen
Top 500 Contributor
Slovenia
84 Posts
Bronze Member

Anyone?

The guy who sold me the Beolink Passive vouched that the Passive is full working conditions. I would at least expect that the Passive turns on when PLAY button is pressed on the IR eye. 

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
2,449 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sun, May 17 2020 7:59 PM

There is a test mode on the Passive:

On your remote, press MENU 0 3 PLAY

This should switch the unit on and open the ML signal path - basically amplifying anything that it is receiving over ML.

Pressing STOP should close the path and turn the Passive off.

See what happens if you try the above with and without the ML connection.

Page 2 of 3 (41 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL