Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

B&O alternative for Sonos 5.1. Surround Set?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 21 Replies | 0 Followers

Munchen
Not Ranked
22 Posts
Bronze Member
Munchen posted on Sun, Apr 5 2020 9:57 AM

I am thinking about to set up a TV room (32m2) with a LG HU80KS beamer and I am searching for a 5.1. Surround speaker set.

Are there Bang& Olufsen alternatives to this set up:
Sonos 5.1 Surround Set: 1 x Playbar, 1 x Sub and as rear speaker: 2 x One (1.926,00 Euro)

I think about the following:
1) A new Bang & Olufsen set: 1 x Stage (1.350,00 Euro) but what rear speaker to use?
2 x  Beoplay M3 (2 x 235,00 Euro) as rear speakers, is this possible?
Do I need an additional subwoofer or is the Stage so much powerful compared to a Sonos Playbar, that I do not need an additional subwoofer?
2) Used Bang & Olufsen set: Used Beosystem 3 and 5 x Beolab 4, but how about a subwoofer, do I need one and what to buy?

Any additional ideas?

I would prefer to purchase new equipment, then I would make a dealer happy and I would have product guarantee for two years. But I am not sure if the Stage is working together with the Beoplay M3 in a surround set up. All speakers are offering B&O multiroom so it should work (similar to Sonos) ?!?

All Replies

HH1971
Not Ranked
58 Posts
Bronze Member
HH1971 replied on Sun, Jul 19 2020 8:47 AM

Munchen:
... It should be much easier to sell to a happy Bang&Olufsen Stage customer another three loudspeakers than acquire new / additional customers.
Not for Bang&Olufsen. They have to find new customers, because after a customer experiences the technical shortcomings of a B&O product and service, they will never buy a Bang&Olufsen product again. My assumptions are based on my personal experiences with the Beosound Moment and Beosound 35.

trackbeo
Top 150 Contributor
583 Posts
Bronze Member

Munchen:
Any additional ideas?
O.P., if you're still out there, I would love to hear your experience with the Sonos Arc.  I thought 32m^2 would be too large for the Sonos setup you describe.  (You didn't say how tall the ceiling is, i.e. how many m^3.)  P.S.  Don't forget to shoot us a photo of your final install!

[Alt. Refs: https://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/29040.aspx  https://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/42873/311423.aspx ]

Munchen
Not Ranked
22 Posts
Bronze Member

trackbeo:
I would love to hear your experience with the Sonos Arc

Luckily my LG beamer has a HDMI arc connection. I am very happy with my Sonos Arc, Sub and 2 x One. The set-up was very easy and interesting with Sonos Trueplay, giving you the feeling you get the best sound possible without fiddling around in the settings yourself. The Sonos app is a dream, not comparable to B&O app at all.

The surround sound is good in my ears. Compared to my Beovision 9 set-up with 2 x Beolab 4000 and 2 x Beolabs 6000 in the leaving room, the Sonos set-up is placing the sound more around me. It somehow gives me a better sound experience watching movies.

So I start to think about replacing my B&O Beovision 9 and Beolabs by a new LG OLED GX and a second Sonos set for the living room, too.

Alsfeld
Top 500 Contributor
146 Posts
Founder

Munchen:
The set-up was very easy and interesting with Sonos Trueplay
 … interesting.

Is there something similar like Sonos Trueplay available for Bang&Olufsen equipment? Perhaps from third party?

Or is this automated sound tuning only „hocus pocus“ and just turning on a B&O loudspeaker will give you anyway the best audio performance possible?

Alsfeld
Top 500 Contributor
146 Posts
Founder

I found the following article (link:  https://www.cetoday.ch/news/2019-08-26/bang-olufsen-praesentiert-neuen-fernseher ) in which Geoff Martin is quoted: „... Dafür müssen auch die negativen Effekte des Raums entfernt werden, per hauseigener App lässt sich jedes Zimmer für den optimalen Bedarf ausmessen. Bis zur Veröffentlichung im Oktober wird bei B&O weiterhin an der Software gearbeitet.“ in English „... To do this, the negative effects of the room must also be removed; each room can be measured for the optimal requirement using our app. B&O will continue to work on the software until its release in October“

This functionality sounds like Sonos Trueplay. The article is from 26.08.2019 and Martin talks from October 2019?

My questions are

1. Is this functionality already available in the B&O app but well hidden by B&O like so often?
  2. Is it still in development and will be released soon?
  3. Is the development stopped?
mm08642
Not Ranked
42 Posts
Bronze Member

Did anybody had the chance to compare the Beosound Stage with the new functionally of Apple to connect two Apple HomePods to a Apple TV 4K as surround sound speakers for Dolby Atmos?

What I like is, that I do not need any additional HDMI cable to the Apple HomePods and I have more freedom to place the loudspeakers in my room. And due to Spatial Awareness and Beamformig I should get the best sound possible.

But the question still remains, does the Beosound Stage offer a significantly better sound quality?

Munchen
Not Ranked
22 Posts
Bronze Member

Interesting YouTube video regarding the comparison of Sonos Arc and Beosound Stage https://youtu.be/NMAci_2Oi4k

Page 2 of 2 (22 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL