What B&O tape decks are worth it?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 23 Replies | 0 Followers

Chickene
Not Ranked
9 Posts
Bronze Member
Chickene posted on Tue, Mar 31 2020 10:09 PM

heard someone say recently that, at their best, B&O tape decks could outperform Nakamichis. This sounds absurd to me, but given the abundance of B&O equipment being sold for practically nothing in my area, I figured I’d ask around a bit:)

What was B&Os best when it came to decks? And could it really beat a Nakamichi? Sorry for my lack of knowledge on the subject, I am here to learn lol

any help is appreciated

-joshua

All Replies

BeoFrederic
Top 500 Contributor
136 Posts
Gold Member
Chickene:

What was B&Os best when it came to decks? And could it really beat a Nakamichi?

Beocord 9000 was probably the pinnacle, though reputedly finicky. The 8002/4 had much of the same technology, and was regarded as bulletproof.

Better than a Nak? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. No idea. I had a friend who owned a high-end Nak, but still lusted for a Beocord.

Chickene
Not Ranked
9 Posts
Bronze Member

Think I’ll grab a couple 8002s then if it comes down to it. Thanks :)

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
11,631 Posts
Founder

Beocord 8004 has Dolby C, if that matters.

Martin

Chickene
Not Ranked
9 Posts
Bronze Member

Dillen:

Beocord 8004 has Dolby C, if that matters.

Martin

I had not realized that! I’ll have to keep an eye out on dba for a steal-deal on that model (though I doubt they show up often). thanks for the tip :)

Pat
Top 500 Contributor
107 Posts
Bronze Member
Pat replied on Wed, Apr 1 2020 11:03 AM
The best one was the BeoCord 9000, with a Japanese mechanism and computer calibration system but can’t compete with good hifi, even a simple good quality deck. Good hifi cassette machine will have more settings and adjustments, B&O don’t have it. Ok for listening only, for good recording - forget about. Nothing compare to Nak, ReVox, Aiwa, Akai ...
Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
11,631 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Apr 1 2020 12:59 PM

Pat:
The best one was the BeoCord 9000, with a Japanese mechanism and computer calibration system but can’t compete with good hifi, even a simple good quality deck. Good hifi cassette machine will have more settings and adjustments, B&O don’t have it. Ok for listening only, for good recording - forget about. Nothing compare to Nak, ReVox, Aiwa, Akai ...

Could be interesting to see specs supporting this.

Martin

Robert
Top 500 Contributor
Holland
158 Posts
Bronze Member

Here a weblink to 1982 ..., tested the BeoCord 9000:

https://www.audiovintage.fr/leforum/viewtopic.php?p=419952#p419952

Robert
Top 500 Contributor
Holland
158 Posts
Bronze Member

Tests in 1985, showed better tape decks outperform the BeoCord 9000: An 8 persons panel performing extensive test procedures. See here the German tests from 1985:

German to English:
Klang is SOUND
überragend is OUTSTANDING
ausgezeichnet is EXCELLENT
überdurchschnittlich is ABOVE AVARAGE
durchschnittlich is AVARAGE

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
3,922 Posts
Gold Member

Pat:

You can't be serious? Among many decks, I've had several Naks - I've kept a CR-4 - and never found them to be better than a Beocord 9000 (or a 5000 for that matter).

Jacques

Pat
Top 500 Contributor
107 Posts
Bronze Member
Pat replied on Wed, Apr 1 2020 4:34 PM
chartz:

You can't be serious? Among many decks, I've had several Naks - I've kept a CR-4 - and never found them to be better than a Beocord 9000 (or a 5000 for that matter).

Jacques

I got well maintained, most of the listed machines, so no comment on that, especially with mentioned 5000 Big Smile
Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
11,631 Posts
Founder

chartz:

You can't be serious?

April 1st... naaaahhh  Laughing

Martin

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,262 Posts
Gold Member

Back in 1983 I bought a Nakamich Dragon cassette deck. I still have it and had it professionally serviced a couple of years ago. It is a great cassette deck and is highly regarded.  At the same time I was looked at, and considered, a Beocord 9000. It had similar performance specs and also got good reviews. They cost about the same back then ($1200 to $1500 USD).
In the end my choice for the Nakamichi was based on how I was wanting to integrate it into my system at the time. The Nakamichi provided more of a hands on, reel to reel editing type of experience. The Beocord 9000 was a more modern looking, automated system. Both have some really good features. To me they are so different in features (other than recording and playing cassettes) that I see them as an apples to oranges type comparison.

Now, many years later, I have been able to pick up some Beocord 9000 decks (as well as some Beocord 8004 decks). After restoring them I can report that they perform really well. Excellent in fact. They record and play cassette tapes as well as any quality cassette deck. But...they all need restoration work by now. Electronics don't do well in storage. They need use. With a restored Beosystem 8000 I have grown to appreciate what B&O had designed with the Beocord 9000 and it has become one of my favorites. 

Now having both the Nakamichi Dragon and the Beocord 9000 fully restored I can say I would be happy with either...but I enjoy have the luxury of having both :-).

I am not entirely sure why Beocord units sell so low but I have some ideas. 

For one, there are not a lot of places that will service them. You often see sellers advertising that they work but only need new belts. That is far from the truth. The transport mechanism will require servicing and includes new belts and rubber wheels from Martin (Dillen here on the Forum).
These cassette decks have also reached the point where they will likely need some capacitors replaced. A big factor in determining how much restoration work is needed depends on how and where they have been stored all of these years.

Another thing that I think plays against the Beocord decks is that their design is different from all of the Japanese cassette decks (except the Yamaha TC-800). A lot of people want the more common rectangular, front access type cassette decks to integrate with their stereo system rather than a top mount. 

The truth is, the Beocord units have always been great performing tape decks.
Back in 1977 I was looking for a good cassette deck to go with a system that included a Beogram 4002, Luxman L-507 integrated amplifier and a pair of Yamaha NS-670 speakers. I selected the Beocord 5000 (Type 47xx). It was a great cassette deck. I still own it but it is currently out of service until I get around to restoring it...something that is on my to-do list for sure.

-sonavor

Chickene
Not Ranked
9 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks for the comprehensive insight! Last time I tried doing basic repairs on a tape deck I broke the poor thing even further... but on the contrary, I live right in Copenhagen so buying belts from Martin would almost be too easy to resist. Wonder if he does servicing as well...

Chickene
Not Ranked
9 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks for the comprehensive insight! Last time I tried doing basic repairs on a tape deck I broke the poor thing even further... but on the contrary, I live right in Copenhagen so buying belts from Martin would almost be too easy to resist. Wonder if he does servicing as well...

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL