rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 15 Replies | 2 Followers

crossbytje
Top 500 Contributor
166 Posts
Bronze Member
crossbytje posted on Fri, Mar 27 2020 8:28 PM

Hi,

Since my Beolab 4s are failing, and I'm a bit reluctant to buy a replacement set because all of them are doomed to fail, I'm on the lookout for some new pc speakers.

They are to be used as main speakers while gaming, and since the computer is near the kitchen, music is occasionally played as well, sometimes at higher volumes.

Was looking into a set of Beolab 3s, but they are a bit over budget for what I'm willing to spend for a set of computer speakers. If I was to get a set of Lab3s, I'd hang them on the wall as rear speakers in the main room (with Lab 9s as fronts).

Anyone ever compare them to the Beoplay S8 set? Not really a pc speaker set, but I could image them installed around the computer.

Was looking at the more portable line-up as well (M3/S3 speakers), but manually powering up two separate speakers seems too much a hassle... Not sure if that's the route to go..

Any suggestions?

Beolit 12 - Beolab 4 pc (dead now) - Beoplay H5 - Beolab 9 - BeoRemote One BT - Beoplay M3

All Replies

BeoFrederic
Top 500 Contributor
136 Posts
Gold Member
I have a pair of Beoplay S3 next to my Mac. They may lack a little detail/subtlety, but are surprisingly robust. Connect by wire or BT - beware of latency, if that’s important to your listening experience. Depending on where you live, can be had inexpensively.

crossbytje
Top 500 Contributor
166 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks for sharing your experience. Is there any delay/lag when connected through wires? Is that through the 3.5mm jack, or via usb?

Is there autosense functionality, or do you have to switch them on and off manually (twice)?

Beolit 12 - Beolab 4 pc (dead now) - Beoplay H5 - Beolab 9 - BeoRemote One BT - Beoplay M3

BeoFrederic
Top 500 Contributor
136 Posts
Gold Member

crossbytje:

Thanks for sharing your experience. Is there any delay/lag when connected through wires? Is that through the 3.5mm jack, or via usb?

No delay when wired.  I've used 3.5mm for testing purposes.  Have never tried usb; I should.  My standard configuration is BT.  Makes no difference when playing music, of course, and I just tested BT with a movie on the Mac to check the latency.  To my surprise, latency is just about non-existent.  I remember that BT latency was very much apparent when I was fiddling around with a MIDI keyboard.

Note: I've never been able to stereo-pair the two speakers when cabled, only wireless.  When daisy-chained together, the second speaker duplicates the first.

HEY BEOWORLD:  Does anyone know how to make a stereo pair of two Beoplay S3s, when using 3.5mm jack from computer to 1st speaker, and 3.5 daisy-chain to the second?

crossbytje:

Is there autosense functionality, or do you have to switch them on and off manually (twice)?

IIRC, there's a stand-by mode, which implies autosense.  That said, I leave them on all the time.  It's a minimal power draw, iirc.

crossbytje
Top 500 Contributor
166 Posts
Bronze Member

I still have a splitting cable from my BeoLab 4s, it takes a stereo 3.5mm connection and splits it into L and R channels. So I guess both can be set to act as daisy chained this way.

Not a fan of leaving them on all the time. Isn't there always a silent noise even if nothing is playing?

BeoFrederic
Top 500 Contributor
136 Posts
Gold Member

crossbytje:

Not a fan of leaving them on all the time. Isn't there always a silent noise even if nothing is playing?

No hiss, no hum.

BeoFrederic
Top 500 Contributor
136 Posts
Gold Member

As a follow-up, I dug up this information emailed to me by B&O Play support:

You can switch between the two standby power modes by double pressing Image (the multibutton). In high power standby, BeoPlay S3 will have sense on all inputs and can wake up, and the product indicator will signal an action. This is also the default setting. In low power standby, the speaker will not have Bluetooth or input sense and there will be no product indicator signals.”

Hope this helps.

Tucker
Top 200 Contributor
Phoenix USA
428 Posts
Gold Member
I have had experience with the S3s as well and I would highly recommend them for PC speakers. I think they would be as good or better than your BL4s.

Beosound 9000 MK III, Beosound 2300, Beosound Century, Beogram 5005, Beogram 1800,  Beolab 8000, Beolab 5000,  Beolab 4000, Beovision 8-32, Beovision 4-65, Beovision 10-32, Beoplay S3, Beoplay A2, Beoplay E8.

crossbytje
Top 500 Contributor
166 Posts
Bronze Member

Interesting. 

I'm not the biggest fan of their design though. 

Is the M3 actually the successor of the S3? Or is it inferior?

crossbytje
Top 500 Contributor
166 Posts
Bronze Member

I decided on getting a set of M3 speakers. Should be as good as the S3 I guess. + has airplay so I can use them on other occasions too for playing music in sync with my other speakers.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,047 Posts
Bronze Member

Will be interesting to hear how you’d connect these 2 M3’s to your PC.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

crossbytje
Top 500 Contributor
166 Posts
Bronze Member

I plan on using my splitter cable that turns a stereo 3.5 jack into a L and R channel, the same one I used with my BeoLab 4s. That should work right?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,047 Posts
Bronze Member

crossbytje:

I plan on using my splitter cable that turns a stereo 3.5 jack into a L and R channel, the same one I used with my BeoLab 4s. That should work right?

You might be right.

But isn’t that a minijack to RCA/Cinch-R/L?

SteveSoundsHeavenly has this cable:

https://soundsheavenly.com/beolab-4-and-4pc/79-beolab-4-4pc-input-cable-minijack-connection.html

Is that the one/a similar one, that you have?

The S3 has a minijack input. 

MM 

crossbytje
Top 500 Contributor
166 Posts
Bronze Member

Yes, it was included in the box with the Lab 4 pc version. 

The only difference with the one you linked is that mine has two mono plugs. Not sure if this will make a difference. The M3(/S3/all others) can probably take a stereo signal as input and mix it together. Not sure what will be mixed if one of those signals is nothing more than the ground. Maybe the speaker can distinguish between both?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,047 Posts
Bronze Member

Imo it could be a good idea to ask Steve (see the linked page - he is also a sponsor of this site) directly.

Mostly with the S3’s you run a minijack (stereo) cable to one speaker and then go from there to the other, also using a minijack cable - left -> right.

Also see this thread:

https://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/21124.aspx

MM

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL