Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Beogram 8002 Repair

Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 346 Replies | 13 Followers

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,671 Posts
Gold Member
sonavor posted on Sun, Dec 30 2012 12:21 AM

This Beogram 8002 was a recent find. I picked it up as a learning unit because one of my primary, everyday turntables is a Beogram 8002 I bought way back in 1983.  That original 8002 is still working well.  I had a B&O technician look at it about eight years ago and he made some adjustments.  That was before I took on this vintage audio hobby.  When this recent aquisition became available I decided the price was too good for me to pass up.

In the picture you can see the lid assembly is off.  The main spring and lid attachement came apart.  I am going to fix that first.

Electrically, this new 8002 powers on and the turntable starts spinning as soon as it is plugged in.  None of the pushbutton controls work.  So this could be a real troublesome repair.

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
7,356 Posts
Gold Member
Verified by sonavor

sonavor:
The electrolytic capacitor I hate replacing the most on these BG8002 units is the one inside the processor housing (C28, 47uF, 10V).  It is in a difficult place to remove and replace.  You have to be very careful.

Seems similar to the cap inside the processor board shieldwork in pizza box Beomasters. They are very dificult to remove because the circuit board with a heavy ground plane conducts all heat away from the soldering spots. I tend to just cut the old cap off, leaving enough stubs on the board to solder the new cap on them. Much easier and helps to avoid circut board damage.

--mika

All Replies

968driver
Not Ranked
9 Posts
Bronze Member

Now I observed something else that I did not observe earlier.

When the tonearm reaches the run-out groove, no auto return happens, I have to push the "STOP" button to return the tonearm.

If, however, I leave the tonearm in the run-out groove, after about 42 seconds the tonearm auto returns.

Now I am really confused!

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,671 Posts
Gold Member

I posted some oscilloscope photos of a Beogram 8002 servo motor drive signals and the two position sensor signals.  I included a measurement of the Beogram 8002 going through the run-out groove of a record.

-sonavor

Page 24 of 24 (347 items) « First ... < Previous 20 21 22 23 24 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL