Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Beoremote Halo, the future B&O remote control

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 2 verified answers | 615 Replies | 9 Followers

jvezina
Top 500 Contributor
Montreal, Canada
193 Posts
Gold Member
jvezina posted on Fri, Mar 6 2020 3:56 PM

The FCC has released information about the table version

https://fccid.io/TTU-HALOTABLE

Have a nice day,

Jean

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Ferdinand
Top 150 Contributor
Malmö, Sweden
535 Posts
Gold Member
Verified by poodleboy
I saw the Halo at my dealer on Saturday, and although I was already intrigued since the first leaked video it didn’t disappoint at all, knowing that some people do not like it.

I would have a very limited use-case for my BS1, as my other B&O products are too old, but I still want to have one. That it is a great achievement.

There is probably no good rationale explanation why one would spend ca 700$ on a volume remote control. I am now having tough discussions with the FS (wife), as she states ‘you buy Halo I say Hejdå (goodbye) Big Smile

And then my dealer came up with the great idea that I need a Core as well for my BS9000 😀

I love his enthusiasm.

“I have to work on my core” I tell my wife in return Smile

To be continued, and please do see the Halo IRL it is amazingly cool.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
2,126 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) Sandyb replied on Mon, Sep 13 2021 9:05 PM
Verified by Dion

Which is why I have cut out any B&O control from my music / radio listening - only the speakers remain.

Roon is my control interface - if I must use an iDevice, then at least Roon's interface and software work extremely well - and at times the Linn app(s) too, as I have a Linn streamer / DAC in my main room. The Linn app even shows me a lot of my podcast feeds from TuneIn!

Yes, Roon and a Linn streamer is expensive, but newsflash, so is B&O.

The Halo's design / form factor limits how useful I can ever get.  The screen is too small for searching / browsing in the end. Which implies it was only ever going to be a volume control and starter for predefined experiences. Fine for those who are happy with just that. But with the Moment gone, they're telling you to use your phone / tablet for everything else. In which case, if I am generally constantly having to use my iPad for example, what use is a 700 pound / euro volume dial?

Severed_Hand_of_Skywalker:

The Moment was proof that B&O has no Clue when it comes to software and is why I am so scared to buy a halo now with the "promise" that it will be more useful in the future. They couldn't even get the Moment to work with base features after 2 years of trying. 

All Replies

65535:
Speaking of such, the B&O app does feel like the B&O team are at least trying to keep things on the boil, whereas the Yamaha apps are terribly rated (both are 2-star with exasperated reviews) and something of a disincentive for anyone thinking about what to buy in the sales!

Damn that's too bad. The hardware for the WXC-50 gets great reviews. The software is also A LOT easier to use than the terrible B&O apps. I'm a UX designer for apps for 20 years now and the Yamaha software is better than B&O's in every way other than its not as pretty.

--

BeoLab 18's. Beolab 3's. A8. A9. A2. H7.

Not Ranked
7 Posts
Bronze Member
65535 replied on Thu, Dec 31 2020 4:11 PM

The Yamaha app which accompanies their digital pianos is also 2-star bad.

Ditto Roland, Casio et al who for whatever reason just don't know how to polish their software either.

In addition to stereo gear have also had a number of Yamaha motorcycles in my time so it's not as though my brand allegiance is in question Big Smile

driehoek
Not Ranked
44 Posts
Bronze Member
driehoek replied on Wed, Feb 17 2021 10:14 PM

I realize the software of halo is not yet finished and hardware might be capable of more. 

Does anybody know if a microphone is included in the halo?

Would be cool if in future software release voice control (through Google voice assistant) would be included like in beosound1/2 and level/balance.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
1,951 Posts
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Thu, Feb 18 2021 12:07 PM

driehoek:

I realize the software of halo is not yet finished and hardware might be capable of more. 

Does anybody know if a microphone is included in the halo?

Would be cool if in future software release voice control (through Google voice assistant) would be included like in beosound1/2 and level/balance.

The FCC diagrams indicate a microphone. However, this initial Halo definitely does not have one. There is an area where the microphone would be that has a different texture of plastic -- which makes one wonder if this might be a "placeholder" for where a microphone could be in future generations.

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,575 Posts
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Feb 18 2021 12:18 PM
beojeff:

The FCC diagrams indicate a microphone. However, this initial Halo definitely does not have one. There is an area where the microphone would be that has a different texture of plastic -- which makes one wonder if this might be a "placeholder" for where a microphone could be in future generations.

Modern microphones does not need a perforation it simply listens through the plastic. This is how AirPods and iPhone headset cable microphone works.

If there is a microphone present on the back of the plastic then it might be activated in the future.

But knowing B&O they may use google assistant and then they probably will market one with and one without, perhaps.

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

BeoJosh
Top 500 Contributor
86 Posts
Gold Member

Hi All, I woke up this morning to my three Halos telling me they had a software update to 1.2.3547. Does anyone know what if any additional functionality this update provides?

--
Beovision Harmony 77, Beovision Harmony 65 x2, Beovision Contour 48, LG GX 65/Beosound Stage/STB Stand
Beolab 50s, Beolab 28s, Beolab 18s x3, Beolab 19, Beoplay A9, Beosound Edge, Beosound 2 x2, Beosound 1 x2, Beosound Level x2, Beosound Core x2, Beoplay M3, Beosound 9000, Beogram TX2, Beogram 6500 White Edition, 4000c (on order), Beoremote One x8, Beoremote Halo x3, BLC NL/ML
Beoplay H95 x3, Beoplay EQ x2, Beoplay E8, Beoplay E8 Sport, Beosound A1 x2

VANTAGE
Top 500 Contributor
88 Posts
Bronze Member

I read from a user on a Danish website that it now works with Beosound Balance and Beosound Level as well. I cannot confirm this, as I have none of these products.

Current: Beovision Eclipse 65" v1 - Beolab 50 - Beolab 28 - 2 x BS2 (GVA) - 1 x BS1 (GVA) - Beoremote Halo - H9i

Past:

Beovision MX4000 - Beovision 3-32 - Beovision 7-55

Beosound 9000 - Beosound 5 / Beomaster 5

Beolab 6000 - Beolab 8000 - Beolab 5 - Beolab 3 - Beolab 17

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
4,243 Posts
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Wed, Apr 28 2021 6:07 PM
Mine also updated

Beolab 50s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

laseralex
Top 500 Contributor
231 Posts
Gold Member

Mine updated last night, and I see no way to control my Level.  Perhaps it also needs a beta version of the upcoming product software which will add Beolink Multiroom support to those products.

Sources: 2x Beosound Moment • 4x Beosound Essence Mk II
Speakers: 3x Beolab 8000 • 2x Beolab 6000 • 2x Beolab 3 • 3x Beolab 2
Integrated:  1x Beosound 2 • 1x Beosound Level • 4x BeoPlay M5 • 1x BeoPlay A6
Control:  16x* Essence Remote  • 1x Beoremote Halo

* Yes, really! 🤦‍♂️

Ok I am considering buying a Halo but one thing is holding me back.. the battery life.

Can anyone explain to my why the battery life is an abysmal 24 hours? What exactly is this device doing? Is it actually transmitting any music from the device itself?

My understanding is that it is just a remote control, like if you use an iPod touch and the B&O app to control music. If I used an iPod touch or even a phone for only this use the battery would last more than a week at the very least.

So this Halo has a lot of physical space in it either in the space under the screen or in the stand, it is MUCH larger space than any phone either. It also has a motion detector so the screen only comes on when you are right infront of it.  

So why is a simple bluetooth command sent every once and a while drawing the battery so quickly?

What are the odds that a new rev 2 version will come out with a Mic for google/Alexia and a battery that doesn't need to be charged every day?

--

Ferdinand
Top 150 Contributor
Malmö, Sweden
535 Posts
Gold Member
Hi,

I have a Halo remote. I am not an expert on battery life and what is reasonable to expect but I use the remote mostly during the day and would say battery life is ca 3days ? The display lights up quite a lot of times actually. We’re 5 in our family and the remote is at a heavy trafficked spot.

I bought a table charger for it to charge overnight.

Have they added any functionality in the last year that its been out?  Apparently statements were made about the Halo "being a centrepiece for home automation control". But from what I see they haven't added ANY new features, not even album artwork.

--

seethroughyou
Top 100 Contributor
UK
975 Posts
Bronze Member

Ok I am considering buying a Halo but one thing is holding me back.. the battery life.

Can anyone explain to my why the battery life is an abysmal 24 hours? What exactly is this device doing? Is it actually transmitting any music from the device itself?

My understanding is that it is just a remote control, like if you use an iPod touch and the B&O app to control music. If I used an iPod touch or even a phone for only this use the battery would last more than a week at the very least.

So this Halo has a lot of physical space in it either in the space under the screen or in the stand, it is MUCH larger space than any phone either. It also has a motion detector so the screen only comes on when you are right infront of it.

So why is a simple bluetooth command sent every once and a while drawing the battery so quickly?

What are the odds that a new rev 2 version will come out with a Mic for google/Alexia and a battery that doesn't need to be charged every day?

--

Watching the progress of this product from release to now, B&O are super predictable and highly reliable in their trajectory to date. It’s a fancy and expensive looking piece of kit with limited functionality, poor battery life and will have limited further development. I thought this at the very beginning and good to tradition, I haven’t been disappointed so far. It’s spent too much time in the hands of fluffy wuffy arty farty architect like industrial designers with limited time in hands of those that do the functionality, integration and programming. This could have been so much more IMHO.

Sad

Present: BL90, Moment, Core, BL6000, CD7000, 7000, Essence Remote.

Past: BL1, BL2, BL8000, BS9000, BL5, BC2, BS5, BV5, BV4-50, Beosystem 3, BL3, DVD1, Beoremote 4.

For the insane price this thing is (More than the high end 13" iPad) you would think at the very least it could do 10% of what an old iPod touch for $200 could do.

I also don't get why they didn't use a retina OLED screen at this price point. I mean it would make the screen part of the device blend seamlessly with the bevel as well as be able to use always on screen when it is at least playing something.

But honestly the battery is the biggest disappointment for me. I mean a remote that doesn't stream ANYTHING and only lights up when in use just eats though the battery in 24 hours is just bad programming to me.

--

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
1,951 Posts
Bronze Member

I have 4 Halos -- 3 table versions and 1 wall-mounted version. I never find myself moving the table version to find a need for a long battery. Mobility isn't really its purpose. It works great as a stationary control that you can easily read and can control with one handle -- really with just one finger. It's not intended to be a replacement for the Moment and likely will never have that type of functionality -- such as searching for music in Deezer. You DO, however, have the ability to select your radio station. Think of it more like an Essence control with far better control and feedback. You can select your source without the need to blindly toggle through sources as you would with the Essence remote. In the past year, the feature was added to be able to select WHICH device to JOIN via a list of devices that are currently playing. I believe that all NL beovisions and the BeoSystem 4 are now supported. The support is still missing for the NL/ML Converter -- which would greatly broaden its support to legacy ML products.

I find that I use it naturally in every day use. Here is an example. I have a bronze Halo on the countertop in my kitchen. It looks great with all of the copper in my kitchen. If I have music playing on the BeoSystem 4 in the living room or the Essence in the dining room, I can see what artist and track is playing, and move through the playlist. If I want, I can join that source with the BeoSound 1 that's in the kitchen. When I'm cooking and my hands are either full or dirty, I can use the back of my hand or my wrist to adjust the volume on the halo wheel. It's become so natural to me that I can't imagine being without it.

Page 40 of 42 (616 items) « First ... < Previous 38 39 40 41 42 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL