Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Beoremote Halo, the future B&O remote control

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 2 verified answers | 615 Replies | 9 Followers

jvezina
Top 500 Contributor
Montreal, Canada
193 Posts
Gold Member
jvezina posted on Fri, Mar 6 2020 3:56 PM

The FCC has released information about the table version

https://fccid.io/TTU-HALOTABLE

Have a nice day,

Jean

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Ferdinand
Top 150 Contributor
Malmö, Sweden
535 Posts
Gold Member
Verified by poodleboy
I saw the Halo at my dealer on Saturday, and although I was already intrigued since the first leaked video it didn’t disappoint at all, knowing that some people do not like it.

I would have a very limited use-case for my BS1, as my other B&O products are too old, but I still want to have one. That it is a great achievement.

There is probably no good rationale explanation why one would spend ca 700$ on a volume remote control. I am now having tough discussions with the FS (wife), as she states ‘you buy Halo I say Hejdå (goodbye) Big Smile

And then my dealer came up with the great idea that I need a Core as well for my BS9000 😀

I love his enthusiasm.

“I have to work on my core” I tell my wife in return Smile

To be continued, and please do see the Halo IRL it is amazingly cool.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
2,129 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) Sandyb replied on Mon, Sep 13 2021 9:05 PM
Verified by Dion

Which is why I have cut out any B&O control from my music / radio listening - only the speakers remain.

Roon is my control interface - if I must use an iDevice, then at least Roon's interface and software work extremely well - and at times the Linn app(s) too, as I have a Linn streamer / DAC in my main room. The Linn app even shows me a lot of my podcast feeds from TuneIn!

Yes, Roon and a Linn streamer is expensive, but newsflash, so is B&O.

The Halo's design / form factor limits how useful I can ever get.  The screen is too small for searching / browsing in the end. Which implies it was only ever going to be a volume control and starter for predefined experiences. Fine for those who are happy with just that. But with the Moment gone, they're telling you to use your phone / tablet for everything else. In which case, if I am generally constantly having to use my iPad for example, what use is a 700 pound / euro volume dial?

Severed_Hand_of_Skywalker:

The Moment was proof that B&O has no Clue when it comes to software and is why I am so scared to buy a halo now with the "promise" that it will be more useful in the future. They couldn't even get the Moment to work with base features after 2 years of trying. 

All Replies

mm08642
Not Ranked
42 Posts
Bronze Member

Carolpa:
You will get no tag info on the Halo when you AirPlay to the BS35.

Thank you very much for the fast feedback.

It's a pity that B&O can't manage to display the meta data of an Airplay stream with the Beoremote Halo. Unfortunately, no reason to invest in a Halo for me. Too bad. 

Jaffrey2230
Top 150 Contributor
Washington DC
515 Posts
Bronze Member

In my case I have several B&O speaker systems now, all either connected to a Core with Essence Remote or having the inbuilt B&O streaming technology. For me the Halo would have been a perfect product since I am all in on the B&O audio ecosystem. My current set up is to use 2x Essence remotes (which I have really grown to like) and an iPhone SE that is basically only running the B&O, Music and home automation apps. At $399, it is half the cost of the Halo, aluminum and glass with wireless charging but missing the amazing volume control of the Halo. But the Lock Screen shows the card of what is playing on any speaker...at $399 I would buy the Halo in a heartbeat. So it comes down to cost/value to me...

B&O in my life 😊: 

• Beolab 8002 + Beolab 2 + Beosound Core with Essence Remote (Office)
  • Beolab 6000 + Beolab 11 + Beosound Core with Essence Remote (Bedroom)
  • Beoplay A9 Mk2 (Living Room)
  • Beosound 1 with wireless dock (Portable)
  • Beosound Balance (Dining)
  • Beoplay H95 (Focused listening, travel)
  • Beoplay H9 (3rd gen) (retired)
  • Beoplay P6 (Portable)
  • Beotime wall clock (hallway entrance)
  • BMW X5 50i with B&O Audio Package (Commute/drive)

Can literally ANYONE explain to me why it is better to get this thing vs:

Any old iPod touch that's basically free and will do the same thing.

An iPad Pro and fancy desk stand and still come out cheaper.

I really can't make sense of this thing.

--

BeoLab 18's. Beolab 3's. A8. A9. A2. H7.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
2,129 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sat, Dec 26 2020 6:36 PM

--

`I guess those who dont want a phone or tablet are sympathetic to the Halo.

And i would really like a dedicated Halo like device to handle the music experience

Unfortunately the Halo does far far too little, outside of look floaty and nice i guess.

Allegedly functionality will improve with updates, but history would suggest that those will be slow to arrive, offer few improvements and fall well short of a fully fledged music controller.

Ferdinand
Top 150 Contributor
Malmö, Sweden
535 Posts
Gold Member

--

I am still tempted to buy the Halo, for me it has a wow factor over any dedicated phone / tablet solution (and yes that would be a rational better choice).

The things I like:

- It’s a remote (volume controller) that doesn’t look like one

- The rotary dial, like on BS1 , the physical touch and response.

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
657 Posts
Bronze Member

Because it looks better than any alternative.

Norwin
Not Ranked
Frankfurt
57 Posts
Bronze Member
Norwin replied on Sun, Dec 27 2020 9:53 AM

I like the Halo as its simple and my wife likes it as well. Can anybody let me know if 1.1.2824 is the latest firmware? Also if any of you can store more than one Deezer playlist as I somehow cannot whereas I can for TuneIn stations...   

Regards,

Norwin

Beosound Halo, Beosound Core 2x, Beosound 1, Beosound M3 3x, Beolab 18, 19, 12-1, 4000, Beoplay H7, A1, Almando Multiplay Surround Switch

mr_anders_son
Top 75 Contributor
sweden
1,688 Posts
Founder
Norwin:

I like the Halo as its simple and my wife likes it as well. Can anybody let me know if 1.1.2824 is the latest firmware? Also if any of you can store more than one Deezer playlist as I somehow cannot whereas I can for TuneIn stations...

Regards,

Norwin

Beosound Halo, Beosound Core 2x, Beosound 1, Beosound M3 3x, Beolab 18, 19, 12-1, 4000, Beoplay H7, A1, Almando Multiplay Surround Switch

1.1.2890 is the latest sw!

BeoVision Eclipse 55"...BeoLab 5 FRONT....BeoLab 4000 as REAR....BV5 HD....Beoplay V1-40....BV10-32....BC6-26....Beosound 9000....Beosound 1 New York edt....Beogram 4002....Beoplay M5....Beoplay M3....Beoremote Halo....BeoRemote One BT....Beo6....Beo4....Beo4 Cinema....BeoLink 7000....Serene....H95 Black LTD....H9i Rimowa....6 x H6....Form 1....U70...

Norwin
Not Ranked
Frankfurt
57 Posts
Bronze Member
Norwin replied on Sun, Dec 27 2020 12:22 PM

Thanks, updated now. Still I can only have one Deezer playlist as favorite stored and not more. Am I the only one or are there more out there with same issue (might be by design though but not sure)

Regards,

Norwin

Jaffrey2230
Top 150 Contributor
Washington DC
515 Posts
Bronze Member

That is the same logic I used. An iPhone SE also gets you the wireless charging at half the price. With the iPad Pro you can pretty much get a dock that makes it look like a Beosound Moment and yeah, it would still be cheaper than the Halo. I wish B&O had made the Halo the price of the old Essence Remote.

B&O in my life 😊: 

• Beoplay P6 (Portable)

trackbeo
Top 150 Contributor
626 Posts
Bronze Member
trackbeo replied on Mon, Dec 28 2020 12:26 AM

There *is* a significant difference, even if you feel the iOS device (whichever one you choose) is just as sleek & beautiful-looking as any Beo remote: The iOS device has a start-up time, and start-up update dialogs and etc.  *Lots* and lots of etc.  Even in the case where you lock it single-app, the &@#* Apple update notices must be cleared.  And to avoid start-up delay, & pressing buttons just to wake it, you must dock it 100% of the time so it's always-on, and be running a version of iOS that allows you to never let the screen sleep when on power-adapter.  This was a big complaint when Sonos bricked all their CR100 controllers and said, "just use the iDevice."  Their CR100s turned on instantly when you picked them up, and had battery life to sit out on the tabletop for weeks at a time.  Yes, $800 is stupid money for a limited-function remote control, but so is $9000 for Beolab 18s, or most any other B&O product except maybe the Stage (which lacks the sculptural quality of the Halo), some portable speakers & some headphones.  iOS devices pay for their versatility with "unwanted" (depending upon who you are and how you look at it) complexity.

Jaffrey2230
Top 150 Contributor
Washington DC
515 Posts
Bronze Member

If you turn notifications off you won’t get any messages at all. When I was using my iPhone X as the remote it had tap to open - so no pressing buttons etc. If anything with Hey Siri and Siri Shortcuts it is probably easier to use (for many) than a Halo, both my young daughter and wife have no problems using it for controlling music. In any case, my point is that the Halo is beautiful and I want it, but the cost is high. It’s the same reason why I didn’t upgrade my BeoLab 8002 with BeoLab 18s and instead added a Core and other streaming speakers around the house. But to each his own. I am sure with software updates the Halo will be great and worth it. At that point I’ll get it. 😊

B&O in my life 😊: 

• Beoplay P6 (Portable)

HH1971
Not Ranked
58 Posts
Bronze Member
HH1971 replied on Mon, Dec 28 2020 2:06 PM

Reading this thread I have to find out, that I am not the customer B&O is supporting / looking for.
A B&O customer has to use Deezer and should not expect that local MP3 files are easy assessable. For everybody else the advantages of B&O ecosystem (easy content access, displaying meta information, album cover) is not available.
When you have a local MP3 file library and using like me Tidal you have to stream via Airplay to your B&O loudspeaker e.g. Beosound 3500. The B&O ecosystem / NL is not supporting this scenario. And readying this thread, it does not sound that the remote Halo will support a wider range of customer scenarios either. Only you are already happy to own a remote for just changing volume, then the Halo is the device to go for.

trackbeo
Top 150 Contributor
626 Posts
Bronze Member

HH1971:
When you have a local MP3 file library and using like me Tidal you have to stream via Airplay to your B&O loudspeaker
Not strictly true, but admittedly I have a singular use case:  My *only* streaming to a BeoSound 1 is done via it pulling songs from a DLNA server.  Yes, I had to use the B&O App on an iOS device to setup "play all songs with a particular genre, now turn on shuffle".  But it has been months since I have done anything but tap the BS1's top to start/stop shuffle-play background music.  [Edit: (Maybe it will "run out" rather than continuously recycling; I haven't heard repeats yet.) (To play all tracks in a genre, you must scroll, scroll, scroll so it loads all the titles.  Otherwise it will repeat after just the first two screenfuls loaded by the app, by default.) ]

You are correct that the Halo would not be any improvement for this.  But maybe the DLNA method might help you to play your local files.

AnalogPlanet:

Because it looks better than any alternative.

Thats a very relative answer. To me it looks like a Sharper Image lunchbox, but to each their own.

And I totally get the dedicated device and "looks cool". But the more I looked at it it makes no sense for me. I was also considering a Moment but that is possibly the worst product B&O has ever released both in reliability, features and price.

The way I have it set up is I have a tiny Yamaha amp with pre-outs stashed away in the cabinet. I connect all my devices to it including my B&O speakers and turntable. I also have another similar setup in the bedroom.

With this setup I can:

Use ANY iOS or even android device to tell the amp to play any source from any internet source, USB, local server etc. Anything.

These amps also support airplay and Yamaha's version called MusicCast so the same music is played on all sources in the house.

I have more than one iPad, in this photo I have this one usually sitting in this stand when I am not interacting with it. From it I can easily walk up to it swipe up to have it unlock and from there I can either use the Yamaha app (which is better than B&O's) or just have it play music to any one of the speakers in the house.

There are zero disadvantages to this vs the B&O method. In fact it works MUCH better and for a fraction of the cost. I only have to charge the iPad maybe twice a week TOPS.

Not to mention I can use the iPad (which costs the same as this Halo) do to millions of things with other than changing the volume and changing the music source. I can pick it up and carry it around the house like the moment to change tracks, or I can just use it to do other things like surf or email while at the same time controlling my music.

And in my opinion the iPad looks a lot better (and useful) than the Halo as it actually shows you lyrics or more controls.  If I had the halo lunch bucket sitting here for the same use I would lose tons of features for no advantage other than skipping a Lock Screen?

--

Page 38 of 42 (616 items) « First ... < Previous 36 37 38 39 40 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL