Jean

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Ferdinand
Top 150 Contributor
Malmö, Sweden
499 Posts
Gold Member
Verified by poodleboy
I saw the Halo at my dealer on Saturday, and although I was already intrigued since the first leaked video it didn’t disappoint at all, knowing that some people do not like it.

I would have a very limited use-case for my BS1, as my other B&O products are too old, but I still want to have one. That it is a great achievement.

There is probably no good rationale explanation why one would spend ca 700$ on a volume remote control. I am now having tough discussions with the FS (wife), as she states ‘you buy Halo I say Hejdå (goodbye) Big Smile

And then my dealer came up with the great idea that I need a Core as well for my BS9000 😀

I love his enthusiasm.

“I have to work on my core” I tell my wife in return Smile

To be continued, and please do see the Halo IRL it is amazingly cool.

All Replies

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
1,104 Posts
Bronze Member
Dyssegaard:
I have noticed that B&O have updated their Halo support page with supported products:

https://support.bang-olufsen.com/hc/en-us/articles/360049745891-Which-products-can-be-controlled-by-my-Beoremote-Halo-

Harmony and Eclipse are no longer on the list, and sw-versions have been updated as well. Best regards - Dyssegaard

Living room: Beovision Eclipse 55, Beolab 3 / R1 (back), Beolab 2 / R1 (sub), AppleTV 4K, Bedroom: Beovision 11-40 , AppleTV 4 . Home office: Beolit 12, Kitchen: Beoplay M5 . Travel: Beoplay H8, Beoplay A1. NAS: WD My Cloud Home / Plex DLNA Server.

I just added the Harmony and the Halo just can control the same sources as before. Note: no video sources are supported.

Ferdinand
Top 150 Contributor
Malmö, Sweden
499 Posts
Gold Member
Verified by poodleboy
I saw the Halo at my dealer on Saturday, and although I was already intrigued since the first leaked video it didn’t disappoint at all, knowing that some people do not like it.

I would have a very limited use-case for my BS1, as my other B&O products are too old, but I still want to have one. That it is a great achievement.

There is probably no good rationale explanation why one would spend ca 700$ on a volume remote control. I am now having tough discussions with the FS (wife), as she states ‘you buy Halo I say Hejdå (goodbye) Big Smile

And then my dealer came up with the great idea that I need a Core as well for my BS9000 😀

I love his enthusiasm.

“I have to work on my core” I tell my wife in return Smile

Jaffrey2230
Top 150 Contributor
Washington DC
486 Posts
Silver Member

Amazing design but priced a little too high to be an automatic buy for many people. My set up would really benefit from a Halo. Right now, I have a docked iPad Pro running the B&O App as a remote for my B&O music. It is also all aluminum and glass and including the wireless Logitech BASE dock, the Halo costs hundreds of dollars more! It is still tempting. The Beoplay H95 on the other hand was an easy buy for me...you pay more, you get more. O well...still getting that itch for the Halo.

My B&O Home: 

• Beolab 8002 + Beolab 2 + Beosound Core with Essence Remote (Office)
  • Beolab 6000 + Beolab 11 + Beosound Core with Essence Remote (Bedroom)
  • Beoplay A9 Mk2 (Living Room)
  • Beosound 1 with wireless dock (Portable)
  • Beosound Balance (Dining)
  • Beoplay H95 (Focused listening, travel)
  • Beoplay H9 (3rd gen) (retired)
  • Beoplay P6 (Portable)
  • Beotime wall clock (hallway entrance)
  • Beoremote X (poor man's Halo Big Smile)

kawo
Top 500 Contributor
134 Posts
Founder
kawo replied on Thu, Oct 15 2020 8:21 PM

To make it easer for you to pull the plug on the Halo, just learned the B&O increased the price for the BeoRemote One dramatically (at least in Germany, new MSRP is 300 Euro!!!

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,211 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Thu, Oct 15 2020 9:39 PM

Ferdinand:

Just checked. The Halo is a staggering C$1200 in Canada? 😲

poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
300 Posts
Bronze Member

moxxey:

Ferdinand:

They are just balancing the Loonie against the US Dollar to protect commerce across the "soft" border, as if it mattered. 

Mikipidia
Top 75 Contributor
1,655 Posts
Gold Member
Don’t forget that b&o gets imported through the US to canada and american import taxes apply to b&o in canada too... that’s partially why the prices are extra silly overthereUnsure

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beolab 3's, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube (finally Stick out tongue )

https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Old: Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
300 Posts
Bronze Member

Mikipidia:
Don’t forget that b&o gets imported through the US to canada and american import taxes apply to b&o in canada too... that’s partially why the prices are extra silly overthereUnsure

Probably little different from EU.  What you seem to be calling import taxes, we call sales and use taxes and are paid on one side of the border; not both, and I have lived on both sides. Depending on which state, province, or commonwealth you live in, between US and Canada, it's probably a wash on consumer goods. Autos is a very different story. At the end of the day, Halo costs a whole lot of dollars, Canadian or US. 

seethroughyou
Top 100 Contributor
UK
852 Posts
Bronze Member
Ferdinand:

There is probably no good rationale explanation why one would spend ca 700$ on a volume remote control. I am now having tough discussions with the FS (wife), as she states ‘you buy Halo I say Hejdå (goodbye)

I love his enthusiasm.

“I have to work on my core” I tell my wife in return

R

You’ve said there is no goo reason to buy a Halo and your other gear is too old, so I’m logically and emotionally unable to understand why you’d spend money on it....won’t it become an expensive waste?
seethroughyou
Top 100 Contributor
UK
852 Posts
Bronze Member
agree. there are many trying to rationalise buying this remote just because it’s new and B&O.... with little regard for it becoming in all probability yet another limited and unsupported product in B&O’s long history of limited and unsupported products.
laseralex
Top 500 Contributor
140 Posts
Bronze Member

Oh dear, B&O has just lost control of their name "Halo" for an electronic device . . .

Introducing Amazon Halo – Measure body composition, activity, sleep, and tone of voice

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QK955LS/

Sources: 2x Beosound Moment • 4x Beosound Essence Mk II
Speakers: 3x Beolab 8000 • 1x Beolab 6000 • 1x Beolab 3 • 3x Beolab 2 • 4x BeoPlay M5 • 1x BeoPlay A6
Control:  9x Essence Remote  • 1x Beoremote Halo

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
2,429 Posts
Gold Member
Duels replied on Fri, Oct 16 2020 7:39 AM
moxxey:

Sounds a lot but at the current exchange rate (approximately 1.7) that’s pretty much the same as the UK. I must admit I’m struggling to pay £700 for one, beautiful as it looks.
Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,593 Posts
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Fri, Oct 16 2020 8:11 AM

kawo:

To make it easer for you to pull the plug on the Halo, just learned the B&O increased the price for the BeoRemote One dramatically (at least in Germany, new MSRP is 300 Euro!!!

Same here in Sweden. BR1 is now 3000 SEK ....

Noted on B&O webpage that Essence remote is shown but there is no way to order. Discontinued?

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5 Office: Beocom 2 Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

Mikipidia
Top 75 Contributor
1,655 Posts
Gold Member
poodleboy:

Probably little different from EU. What you seem to be calling import taxes, we call sales and use taxes and are paid on one side of the border; not both, and I have lived on both sides. Depending on which state, province, or commonwealth you live in, between US and Canada, it's probably a wash on consumer goods. Autos is a very different story. At the end of the day, Halo costs a whole lot of dollars, Canadian or US.

No i do not mean that. Sales tax is 21% here. The harmony sells for something like ~$6 grand more than straight up conversion in the US and that’s the asking price pre sales tax(conversion from here 21% included) also when i look at the second hand market in canada 18’s for instance seem to go for above, or around, the new price here. I know the canadian dollar-y-doo isn’t the strongest, but the price of second hand bl3’s even seems silly high compared to here. The “cheaper” ones i’ve seen were just above 3 grand in cana-dough, which is a lot more than here even with conversion and all.

The US has an import tax on luxury goods and B&O products come through B&O USA(company) to Canada

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beolab 3's, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube (finally Stick out tongue )

https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Old: Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

trackbeo
Top 200 Contributor
429 Posts
Bronze Member

Mikipidia:
The US has an import tax on luxury goods and B&O products come through B&O USA(company) to Canada
I can find no original sources to corroborate your assertion.  

Back in 2016, Trump "floated the idea" but I could not find anything at the US CBP website which says that luxury tax was actually implemented.  Besides, although the Halo is priced very high, it's still under $1000 and there is unlikely to be any specific "multiple of non-luxury price" method of calculation.  (Just imagine if such were applied to B&O's charging pad!-)  More typically, luxury tax is expressed as, e.g. "a single item of clothing valued more than $1500" or somesuch, with broad categories of goods.

Recently a threat was made on French luxury goods specifically, in retaliation for threatened "GAFA Tax" on American multinational tech titans.  But not Denmark -- Trump must have a soft spot for Margarethe.  All of which matters not, because the Halo comes from... China.  Import tariffs on remote controls used to be zero, but there is recently a 4.9% import tariff (8526.92.50, "radio apparatus for remote control, not used in video game") plus any overriding tax on goods assembled in or composed principally of components from China, which, until recently, has excluded most consumer electronics, but that either just changed, or is about to change, or who the ƒu¢k knows, because this administration just keeps making $h!t up as they go along.

For a very long time, there has been a roughly-30% B&O-levied markup applied to prices in North America.  I used to sigh and accept that it supported a full distribution & support team in Deerfield, IL.  But they are all gone.  My dealer is gone too -- therefore clearly *they* weren't keeping the lion's share of that 30%.  Now the markup just pays for a sales rep in New York or New Jersey somewhere.  Shipping of website orders in NA has been outsourced.  Obviously their support has been outsourced.  New Beolab 18s are costly: over $10,000 with wood grilles, plus the 19 is $4500.  Plus sales tax of ~6% most states.  (For those who wish to compare with their local shop, 20's here are priced at US$15,000, 50s cost 40,000-plus, and 90s are about $85,000.00.  Compared to the Danish Prisliste, that's between 20-40% markup, but for example, the Stage & Beosound 1 are only ~10% at US$1750.  By way of comparison, Revel (USA, luxury good) Ultima2 Salon2 speakers are $22,000 per pair, about the same price as B&W 802/D3s here in the USA.)  

But back to the Halo: not tariffed exceptionally by the US (this week!), MSRP $900, which is not as far above Danish prices as most B&O products!

Page 33 of 35 (516 items) « First ... < Previous 31 32 33 34 35 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL