Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Beoremote Halo, the future B&O remote control

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 2 verified answers | 609 Replies | 9 Followers

jvezina
Top 500 Contributor
Montreal, Canada
192 Posts
Gold Member
jvezina posted on Fri, Mar 6 2020 3:56 PM

The FCC has released information about the table version

https://fccid.io/TTU-HALOTABLE

Have a nice day,

Jean

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Ferdinand
Top 150 Contributor
Malmö, Sweden
534 Posts
Gold Member
Verified by poodleboy
I saw the Halo at my dealer on Saturday, and although I was already intrigued since the first leaked video it didn’t disappoint at all, knowing that some people do not like it.

I would have a very limited use-case for my BS1, as my other B&O products are too old, but I still want to have one. That it is a great achievement.

There is probably no good rationale explanation why one would spend ca 700$ on a volume remote control. I am now having tough discussions with the FS (wife), as she states ‘you buy Halo I say Hejdå (goodbye) Big Smile

And then my dealer came up with the great idea that I need a Core as well for my BS9000 😀

I love his enthusiasm.

“I have to work on my core” I tell my wife in return Smile

To be continued, and please do see the Halo IRL it is amazingly cool.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
2,080 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) Sandyb replied on Mon, Sep 13 2021 9:05 PM
Verified by Dion

Which is why I have cut out any B&O control from my music / radio listening - only the speakers remain.

Roon is my control interface - if I must use an iDevice, then at least Roon's interface and software work extremely well - and at times the Linn app(s) too, as I have a Linn streamer / DAC in my main room. The Linn app even shows me a lot of my podcast feeds from TuneIn!

Yes, Roon and a Linn streamer is expensive, but newsflash, so is B&O.

The Halo's design / form factor limits how useful I can ever get.  The screen is too small for searching / browsing in the end. Which implies it was only ever going to be a volume control and starter for predefined experiences. Fine for those who are happy with just that. But with the Moment gone, they're telling you to use your phone / tablet for everything else. In which case, if I am generally constantly having to use my iPad for example, what use is a 700 pound / euro volume dial?

Severed_Hand_of_Skywalker:

The Moment was proof that B&O has no Clue when it comes to software and is why I am so scared to buy a halo now with the "promise" that it will be more useful in the future. They couldn't even get the Moment to work with base features after 2 years of trying. 

All Replies

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,289 Posts
Bronze Member

ngnear:

Things get complicated when one manufacturer‘s product (e.g. Beosound Core) relies on another company‘s services (e.g. Deezer, Spotify, Gracenote, TuneIn, Amazon, Google et.al..) to provide full functionality.

My Avant 55 no longer has Deezer, and I understand the Beosound Moment can no longer access the Gracenote Database.

Even if the service is secured with some sort of contractual obligation, I am sure it will only be for a certain period of time, and is no use if the service provider goes out of business.

At the same time any changes in the API of the service would need to be implemented in the software/firmware of any products affected to prevent the product turning into an expensive brick.

Tim

But isn’t that practically the same with say a BS9000....you only can enjoy this as long as you can buy CD’s and the FM radio is working.

I see many BS9000’s sitting there like a gem (read: a pretty brick)....some of these only used as a hub for linking the Aux into the ML network.

Today things are more complicated!

We, as costumers want and expect to have different choices for music and radio.

Don’t ever think that they all services will be working forever!

That is the downside of modern life - we want diversity and complain when our service does not work any more.

It is hard to be an audio/video company nowadays, esspecially when their costumers also expect longlivety.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

ngnear
Top 500 Contributor
237 Posts
Bronze Member
That is exactly my point.

There were comments wanting laws to ensure products are supported for x number of years.

It is out of B&O s control if a particular service disappears.

Anybody that has suffered several days without internet due to damage to a cable is glad to have a stack of CD‘s and an FM aerial together with a „magic door“ Beosound Big Smile

Millemissen:

But isn’t that practically the same with say a BS9000....you only can enjoy this as long as you can buy CD’s and the FM radio is working.

I see many BS9000’s sitting there like a gem (read: a pretty brick)....some of these only used as a hub for linking the Aux into the ML network.

Today things are more complicated!

We, as costumers want and expect to have different choices for music and radio.

Don’t ever think that they all services will be working forever!

That is the downside of modern life - we want diversity and complain when our service does not work any more.

It is hard to be an audio/video company nowadays, esspecially when their costumers also expect longlivety.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
4,212 Posts
Bronze Member
beojeff:

Nice. I look at the light switches and see the potential of 28 (7x4) Lutron RR2 buttons for home automation!

I am using a different system for my lights. 😊 One that works with my security system. Did look at Luton before I got the system I have.

Beolab 50s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
1,956 Posts
Gold Member
ngnear:

Anybody that has suffered several days without internet due to damage to a cable is glad to have a stack of CD‘s and an FM aerial together with a „magic door“ Beosound

Talking about dependencies, B&O should start by fixing the App that cannot start without internet access while WiFi connected to the domestic network .... we would then be able to control and enjoy our products and services which don’t need internet to work, headsets included (I have an open case with them and a video showing it)

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
4,212 Posts
Bronze Member
mbolo01:

Yep, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVfhxUQrXUs

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

Thanks!

Beolab 50s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
1,956 Posts
Gold Member
And in case of internet failure, some could store these news locally:

trackbeo
Top 150 Contributor
583 Posts
Bronze Member

Razlaw:
No incredible light fixture. But large windows with the sun shining in and perhaps reflecting off of a granite table. Here are a couple pictures as you requested.
Thank you!!!  I have never seen an "integrated light fixture" like that.  (Oooh -- lights!-)  Very SleekChic!  Again thanks.

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
4,212 Posts
Bronze Member
trackbeo:

Thank you!!! I have never seen an "integrated light fixture" like that. (Oooh -- lights!-) Very SleekChic! Again thanks.

No problem. And thanks for the compliments!

Audio
Not Ranked
36 Posts
Bronze Member
Audio replied on Sun, Oct 4 2020 5:04 PM

Carolpa:

Audio:
I have a compatibility question regarding Beosound 35?

Is somebody able to test, if the new BeoRemote Halo is showing the meta-data (e.g. title name, album name) when streaming via Airplay to a Beosound 35?

(as expected) only "Airplay" is displayed on the Halo

Many thanks for the quick feedback.

Too bad!

I hoped the BeoRemote Halo could be alternative display for me, because the Besound 35 display does not show the Airplay meta-data.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
2,080 Posts
Bronze Member
mbolo01:

Talking about dependencies, B&O should start by fixing the App that cannot start without internet access while WiFi connected to the domestic network .... we would then be able to control and enjoy our products and services which don’t need internet to work, headsets included (I have an open case with them and a video showing it) BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

Agreed...though, and this is a question, are there other brands whose home audio gear can still work with home WiFi but no internet?

lawrencejmcook
Top 150 Contributor
616 Posts
Founder
ngnear:

It is out of B&O s control if a particular service disappears.

Gracenote hasn’t disappeared.

Spotify connect hasn’t disappeared.

B&O has simply chosen to remove those services from products that their customers had already bought and paid for.
mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
1,956 Posts
Gold Member
Sandyb:

are there other brands whose home audio gear can still work with home WiFi but no internet?

I think we are facing a stupid bug here more than a by design behavior.

The app starts when in Plane mode .... fortunately for travelers using a numbered expensive headset.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
2,080 Posts
Bronze Member

Hmm, not sure, but then I dont think I have your expertise in architecture

My guess is / was that the app when it starts up goes via the internet to look at what products are registered and gather some information there, and moves on down the chain from there.

Hence, no internet, the products that the app "remembers" cannot be verified because it cant go via the internet and confirm them.

So my guess is that the architecture has bit to do with this, though I'm sure a fix is possible.

There ends my wild and barely intuitive speculation!!

mbolo01:
Sandyb:

are there other brands whose home audio gear can still work with home WiFi but no internet?

I think we are facing a stupid bug here more than a by design behavior.

The app starts when in Plane mode .... fortunately for travelers using a numbered expensive headset.

trackbeo
Top 150 Contributor
583 Posts
Bronze Member

Audio:
I hoped the BeoRemote Halo could be alternative display for me, because the Besound 35 display does not show the Airplay meta-data.
This is exactly as expected: the Halo is a (relatively) dumb controller, and the device has the smarts.  Similarly, consider the Halo's MyButtons, which the B&O video said about GVA versions (approx.) "are controlled by the product".  I believe long-press MyButton storing on a non-GVA version are similar: either done by *telling the product* to perform the store inside itself, or else to report back the current status data necessary to parse & perform the store inside the Halo.  This jibes with @[Somebody]'s assertion that the IP control is done by running a webserver inside the product and JSON messages to/from the product.  The Halo asks the product for its sources list.  The Halo asks the product what its now-playing status is.  The Halo doesn't know anything about the internal content of Airplay streams, or DLNA, or Deezer, or Spotify Connect.  For example, what happens (or doesn't, in most cases) when you reverse-arrow (left-swipe) to go back a track?  It just sends the command and the product does what it can/will.  Then the Halo merely displays whatever the product reports back as the current status.  I believe normalizing that protocol across all products, is why the Halo required new firmware versions for each.
Sandyb:
Agreed...though, and this is a question, are there other brands whose home audio gear can still work with home WiFi but no internet?
Roon is an example.  It "pretends" to work without the Internet, but even if you are using no services and only a local library, it will stop working after a month of no-contact!

[Edit: But you asked about devices.  I fear this will be an ongoing battle: On the one side, we have the Apple "lock it down hard" ethos: You must verity that you are the owner of the account, the same account as each & every device you can talk to locally, and all must report with their code-signed, and recently re-authenticated, IDs.  How else can you guarantee that your August Smart Lock isn't going to open the front door when someone sneaks their own HomePod onto your network?  On the other side, we have the "but it's only entertainment" ethos: Any speaker within range should be able to tap-to-join.  If you allow it, any device within range should be able to play on any Bluetooth or Airplay speaker, and any remote can control any speaker in the house.  But because B&O supports Google Voice Assistant, they may have to veer into the lock-it-down camp.  There was a good reason for having separate Beoplay and BeoSetup Apps: to support this laissez-faire attitude toward entertainment, only adding & deleting devices deserved IDs & Internet access (except for streaming services of course).]

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
1,956 Posts
Gold Member
Sandyb:

I dont think I have your expertise in architecture

I’m not an expert either Big Smile ... but would you imagine Apple remote app not starting because it cannot check that the account used in your Apple TV is legitimate ? I don’t .... even if an Apple TV without internet access is less appealing, while it can still be used as an AirPlay receiver for your locally stored music or your favorite holidays pictures stored on your iPhone

Page 30 of 41 (610 items) « First ... < Previous 28 29 30 31 32 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL