rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,148
Bronze Member
moxxey Posted: Tue, Mar 3 2020 10:37 AM

This has never happened before. And on the night after Lee (world-famous BeoWorld Lee) paid me a visit yesterday Big Smile

My BeoSound was 'hacked' last night and I'm not sure how. Bluetooth?

Around 1.30am I was woken to about 5 seconds of very loud music. No idea where it came from.

Went back to bed. Heard the BeoSound 2 in the other room beep twice. Thought 'that's odd?' but didn't get back out of bed. About 10 seconds later, the BeoSound 2 played music at almost full volume. OMG. Never got out of bed as quickly as I did and used the dial on the top to turn it down. But whoever was 'controlling' it was using software to change it to maximum, so was always fighting their control.. Incredible.

After 30 or so seconds, simply unplugged it. So glad it doesn't run on batteries like the BeoSound 1.

Two questions here are:

1) How did they manage this and from where?

2) What's Lee's involvement in this? Cool

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,552
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Tue, Mar 3 2020 10:42 AM
Most likely using BT.

I experienced my neighbors daughter playing on my M3.

Now all my devices BT switched off.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5 Office: Beocom 2 Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
Posts 1,741
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Tue, Mar 3 2020 11:53 AM

I did experience the same "not so funny" thing with my Essence MK2.

Hacked? No!

The problem : there is a "always open" default setting for bluetooth on a lot of B&O devices (not on my A9 mk2 but on my Essence mk2). So any teenager waiting in his parent's car in the front of your house at midnight can see the open Bluetooth speaker, connect his phone to it and blast his trash music at full volume (usually they go to full volume to try to listen to the speaker they are connected to). That's what happened to me.

The solution : B&O app/settings(the wheel at the upper right corner)/Products/Choose your product(s)/Configure/Bluetooth/Always open/Untick the box "Activate always open mode".

(The wording may differ in your product, I translated from the French).

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,148
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Tue, Mar 3 2020 1:19 PM

mbee:

The solution : B&O app/settings(the wheel at the upper right corner)/Products/Choose your product(s)/Configure/Bluetooth/Always open/Untick the box "Activate always open mode".

I was joking about 'hacked'. But it was surreal trying to fight someone at 1.30am who was controlling my BeoSound 2 and nowhere near my home.

I'll take a look at the settings. Thanks.

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,387
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Tue, Mar 3 2020 7:54 PM
When I travelled from Copenhagen airport in November last year I used my Beoplay H9i headphones and suddenly I got someone else’s music. This happened on and off for the entire flight. Like our phones mixed our units up.

I think B&O might have failed to correctly set individual serial numbers or something so the units all look the same. Or this was just very very bad luck 😂.

Thankfully the new AirPods pro came out the same day and I bought them and brought them with me, as well as my old AirPods. So I decided to use them instead.

Maybe the same thing happened to your Beosound. Another possible scenario is airplay 2 and that your Apple TV if you have one had HomeKit configures to allow nearby units to airplay to airplay enabled devices. This then can happen without being on the same WiFi network.

Beolab 50, Beolab 20, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9i, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Avant 55, BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

andybandy
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 123
Bronze Member
andybandy replied on Tue, Mar 3 2020 10:38 PM

Hmm. This have Been a know issue for a long time. But actully is not an issue, 

but a function b&o have made, its the BT that stand always one in default,

The problem is it Now manual with the product anymore, so people dont know what is on default or how to turn off the function..

but that is why by it in a B&O shop and hopefully Get a personal service and Get it know before you Get home.

we tell most off the people about this issue, because alot of people we sell to live in apartment with alot around you.

but if you leave far from you nabour you never know this..

So the Mail problem is not the product it self, but the information that follow..

B&O need to Get better on this part, so many function witout any manual.. not Even a PDF document that can be update while the product living on all of the function.. 

cheers,

Andreas 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL