Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Beovox 5700/5702 opinion ( I started my renovation )

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 68 Replies | 3 Followers

Martynka
Top 500 Contributor
Poland
245 Posts
Bronze Member
Martynka posted on Tue, Feb 18 2020 9:47 PM

Hi,

Can you give me some opinion about HT5700/5702 with passive radiator. It's really hard to find something about it. Only short note in Beocentral and here... but when I try to find something about M70 , M75, M100 I can read that 5700 or 5702 was one of the best sounded Beovox.

Hmmm... Hmm

Marcin

BeO is like a good wine - the older the better...

All Replies

Martynka
Top 500 Contributor
Poland
245 Posts
Bronze Member

Daily I use old classic Infinity speakers with my fully Class A amplifier. Impedance on Infinity is like a short circuit Smile ... and Infinity also plays better than M100. My amplifier is enough strong to play with hard to play speakers. I checked M100 with Gryphon Antileon and result was the same pure. All caps are new, foam susspenisions are new. It is not the best BeO speaker. Yes, bass is big and heavy but for me to dominant, high and middle.. I heard better. It's not only my opinion. 

The M100 is designed to works with the Beomaster 4400 (I have one), It's maybe strong, but not powerfull amp. Has problem with drive my Infinity. Maybe few years ago it was good for me... but now I appreciate the singing treble and the beautiful midrange above the bass impact. The bass is an accent, it cannot be leading. It's the reason that 5702 is better then M100. 

Now M100 plays in my friend home after fully restored by me.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
13,030 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Dec 11 2020 7:04 AM

Type2702:

Og husk at skift alle kondensator i M100, de alle færdige, som meget færdig..jeg gjorde det det jeg parallel koblet Selmic 2 kondensator så de blev bipolar, og det gav rigtig meget!

Du mener sikkert, at du seriel-koblede dem.
- Ellers bliver de jo ikke bipolare, og så går det altså galt.

Martin

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
13,030 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Dec 11 2020 7:38 AM

Isn't it great, that you can pick and choose between amplifiers and speakers?
You can set up exactly what you want (money, room and time allowing) and tailor it to your preferences.

Beovox 5702 are from a time, where speakers were often the weakest link, so being B&Os top range model at the time they were made to REALLY get things going,
- and they are excellent speakers in their own right.
They have the pleasant and, in their own way convincing, sound, leaving an impression of having lots to give, not sounding as if they are being pushed - even if actually being pushed.
It's as if they just ask you to "bring it on", - don't they?
I like them a lot. Just as I also like the 4703 and even Beovox 1702 and 2702 for what they are and was meant to be.

Now "rewind forward" to 1978 and think back.
When I do so, I remember sitting in the front row at Bang & Olufsens demonstration in the local Odd Fellow mansion, next to my father.

We were both into music, not audiophools to any degree - no, we both had enough technical background and knowledge to know
what was right and wrong, but rather we were into music and what sounded good.

The brand new Beovox M100 speaker model was demonstrated, using a Beomaster 4400 and a tangential Beogram.
This fairly large room with apprx 25 listeners was filled with sound.
They played classic music, swing, piano and violin and modern pop music. I particularly remember hearing
Boney Ms Nightflight to Venus album for the first time on a "decent" (fantastic and out of this world) setup.
We were blown away.
We'd never heard anything like this before. So detailed, and yet so powerful.

A Beosystem like this was completely out of reach for us, but a year or two later my father bought a Beomaster 4000 and a pair of Beovox S60.
It worked quite well in our 20m2 livingroom.

I had already started collecting B&O a few years earlier, but of course it would be several years before I could include
my first pair of Beovox M100 in my collection.
At that time I had already bought other speakers that I was using on a daily basis, but I still remember "recreating" the
setup I experienced years before.
Hooking up what was now my own Beomaster 4400, Beogram 4002 and Beovox M100, loading the Boney M album and pushing the volume up a notch.
And there it was again...

Yes, there are better speakers (now).
Yes, there are better amplifiers (now).
Yes, there are better album recordings (now).
- But is that the point?

Martin

Martynka
Top 500 Contributor
Poland
245 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Martin.

I really respect your voice in the discussion, always substantive and always fully knowledgeable.

I wrote about other amplifiers and loudspeakers only because it was mentioned earlier that it might be the fault of the amplifier. Of course you can find better speakers, better amplifiers, there is always something better but I tried talk about BeO.

The second thing is that we are talking about music and music reception. It is probably the most subjective sense and the perception of sounds is very individual. We are tuned in different ways.

Yes, M100 are great and powerful but in BeO enthusiast world (  not only a beoworld  ) M100 are like something saint. I tried to feel it but... 5702 are better for me and I don't understand excitement of M100. 

If I play M100 I hear music, if I play 5702 I hear and feel gooseflesh. Do you know this feeling ?? For me it's mean only one. It determines if something is better for me. Only one of the mentioned speakers gives it to me.

Martynka
Top 500 Contributor
Poland
245 Posts
Bronze Member

and one more:

Here are videos, I know it is only reproduce, not source directly to your ears. If you play it on stereo or headphones you should heard differences. 

M100:

https://youtu.be/prIk-RiCJ1I

5700:

https://youtu.be/UCsIRLCSK8g

Maybe it's something wrong with my ears but for me, my family and my friends 5700/5702 sound better.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
13,030 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Dec 11 2020 8:56 AM

Yes, I know the goosebump feeling.
But I don't get it from B&O speakers.
With my Beomaster 8000 I use speakers from another danish brand.
That's my favourite combination.

Martin  

Martynka
Top 500 Contributor
Poland
245 Posts
Bronze Member
Martynka replied on Fri, Dec 11 2020 10:01 AM

Dillen:
Yes, I know the goosebump feeling.
But I don't get it from B&O speakers.

I see that you are not alone here on forum. 

I feel it from Beovox when I hear 5702 after M100. For me it's a sign that something is much better. Goosebump feeling daily gives me my another set.

I started love music with first BeO, now from BeO in my home set I have only Beogram 1800 (5213) with RIAA card from you. 

Marcin

P.S. I use only Beogram turntable but I have still something new from BeO to restore:

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
13,030 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Dec 11 2020 12:15 PM

Did you ever restore the crossovers in the M100?

Martin

Martynka
Top 500 Contributor
Poland
245 Posts
Bronze Member
Martynka replied on Fri, Dec 11 2020 12:34 PM

Yes, like I wrote above, inside M100 are new caps, new foam suspension and like always in my Beovox new wire terminals.

Page 5 of 5 (69 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL