Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Norman Hartness
Not Ranked
Norfolk
17 Posts
Bronze Member
Norman Hartness posted on Mon, Jan 13 2020 10:03 AM

Hi all,

I've had my Beosystem 5500 since the 80's with Penta Labs and all works perfectly (had the mid range drivers on the penta's re-foamed). Anyway, is there any possible way that I can connect the 5500 system to a Beosystem 4 to use as an audio system input?

The reason for asking is that I am setting up a home cinema and want to use the Penta's as a front left and right in the AV setup but still want to use them as the main speakers for my 5500 system in the cinema room.

I don't use the 5500 system and Penta's as my main audio system anymore as I 'upgraded' to a Moment and Lab 5's a couple of years ago, but I still regard the 5500 system as one of BO's finest products and seriously still want to keep using it.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

All Replies

beojeff
Top 75 Contributor
USA
1,684 Posts
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Mon, Jan 13 2020 10:34 AM
The ideal solution for seamless control would be to make the 5500 a part of your NL multi-room network. You would need two converters to do this: a BeoLink converter to bring the 5500 from MCL to ML and then an NL/ML Converter to bring the ML to NL. Once doing that, you can add the 5500 sources as sources on your BeoSystem 4 in its setup menu and have full remote control of all of those sources. You would add the NL/ML BeoLink Converter as a "linked product" under the "product integration" menu of the BeoSystem 4.

You can connect the Pentas directly to the BeoSystem 4 and assign them as the front speakers in a speaker group. You can create a different speaker group on the BeoSystem 4 with just the Pentas to use for your BeoSystem 5500 sources.

A far cheaper solution would be to just connect the line out of the 5500 to the line in of the Moment. (The BeoSystem 4 needs a special adapter to use its A.V. input if you choose that input instead on the Moment’s line in input.) However, you wouldn't have all of the nice remote control features with this solution.
Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
1,946 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Mon, Jan 13 2020 10:36 AM

AFAIK the BS4 only has one analogue input, and that's the small AV connector on the back.

A simple solution would be to use one on of these leads:https://soundsheavenly.com/tv-input/137-2299-9-pin-av-cable-for-beovision-11-12-new-generation-avant-v1-and-beosystem-4-rca-phono-input.html#/4-length-3m

... connected from the BM5500's L&R 'pre amp' sockets to the BS4's AV socket.

This will enable you to use the 5500 as an audio input to the BS4.

You will then need to connect the Pentas to the output of the BS4 - I am not sure how you do that but I am sure others will help!

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
1,946 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Mon, Jan 13 2020 10:40 AM

Jeff beat me to it!

The reason I didn't know how to connect the Pentas was because the BM5500 does not have a powerlink output. How would the OP therefore connect them to the BS4?

EDIT:  I have now checked and I see the Penta 2s and 3s have PL in addition to speakerlink connections, therefore can be connected to the BS4 with no problems!

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
1,809 Posts
Gold Member

Thanks Guy!

Yes, this cable will let the BM5500 play to the Beosystem 4, I would suggest using the RCA Tape Out sockets on the 5500 to give a fixed volume output.

Kind regards, Steve. 

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Norman Hartness
Not Ranked
Norfolk
17 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks all for the info, extremely helpful indeed.

Unfortunately this has got a little more complicated. I've checked my Penta labs and their MK 1's (joy's of being an early adopter I suppose!).

Steve,

Is there a cable to connect MK 1's to the BS4?

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
1,809 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Norman,

No problem!  The simplest option is to use this cable to connect the Line inputs of both speakers to the Beosystem 4:-

https://soundsheavenly.com/bang-olufsen/65-366-rj45-powerlink-compatible-to-twin-phono-cable-output-from-new-bo-devices-to-amps-receivers-etc.html#/2-length-1m

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Norman Hartness
Not Ranked
Norfolk
17 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Steve,

Quick question regarding your cable suggestion for my penta's. Your example shows two phono plugs but the penta's line out is a single phono socket. Am I missing something here?

Regards, Norman

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
1,809 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Norman,

Please don't worry, the cable splits into two parts, one plug goes to each speaker.  This way, one cable can connect two speakers to the system, with a 1m cable, the speakers can be up to 2m apart when the music system is in the middle.  Please ask if you need any further help.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Norman Hartness
Not Ranked
Norfolk
17 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Steve,

Ok see what you mean but I was hoping to use the Penta's as the right and left channel front speakers in the AV set up with the BS 4 and as the left and right speakers with the Beosystem 5500. So I'll need them to be separately connected to the BS 4...ie PL1 & PL2.

Is this possible?

Norman

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
1,809 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Norman,

Yes, this is possible.  Do your Penta speakers have 2 x 8 pin Powerlink sockets fitted please?  If so then please let me know as a different cable can be used, otherwise please use the cable in the link above.

Please connect the Pentas to the Beosystem 4 using one of the RJ45 Powerlink outputs, then you can link the Beomaster RCA Tape outputs to the Beosystem to share the speakers via this cable:-

https://soundsheavenly.com/tv-input/137-2299-9-pin-av-cable-for-beovision-11-12-new-generation-avant-v1-and-beosystem-4-rca-phono-input.html#/4-length-3m

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Norman Hartness
Not Ranked
Norfolk
17 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Steve,

I ordered the cables suggested, by you and Guy, yesterday. They've arrived this morning.

Just got to say, fantastic service....very quick turnaround, many thanks.

The Beosystem 4, beolab's 8000, 7.1 and subwoofer will arrive on Sunday so will start to connect it all up next week. The projector (Epson TW7400) and screen are all fitted and my Beosystem 5500 is in place with the Penta's. Here's hoping it all works, if not I'm sure there's plenty of help and advice available from everyone on this forum.

Regards

Norman

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
1,809 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Norman,

Thanks for your purchase, I am pleased to hear that the cables arrived quickly.  Please ask if you have any questions and I will be happy to help!

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL