AIRPLAY OVER MULTIROOM

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 29 Replies | 0 Followers

Alsfeld
Top 500 Contributor
147 Posts
Founder
Alsfeld posted on Sat, Jan 4 2020 5:57 PM

By accident I found the following page: https://support.bang-olufsen.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000942169-How-do-I-distribute-sound-from-AirPlay-over-Multiroom.
Unfortunately I do not find "APPLE" in the menu.

I can "push" airplay to selected NL products (e.g. Core), but I can not forward the stream via B&O Multiroom to another NL product (e.g Beosound 35). 

I read the above link so, that this should be possible. But how?

All Replies

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
2,126 Posts
Bronze Member
In the app, select a product, chose Configure , Settings, Beolink, Sound Synchronization

There you will see the check box for enabling AirPlay to be distributed via NL
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,472 Posts
Bronze Member

After that:

You can distribute the airplayed sound (from the Core) either through the ‘Join’ function on the BS35 respectively the ‘Join’ command from a B&O remote to the device.....

......or you you can add the device to the ongoing session in the multiroom section of the Bang & Olufsen app.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
905 Posts
Bronze Member
Millemissen:

After that:

You can distribute the airplayed sound (from the Core) either through the ‘Join’ function on the BS35 respectively the ‘Join’ command from a B&O remote to the device.....

......or you you can add the device to the ongoing session in the multiroom section of the Bang & Olufsen app.

MM

That’s great. Unfortunately, it doesn’t allow to mix an AP multi-room with an NL multi-room though (given required delay to activate above feature.

Maybe B&O will add a feature to “tap” to join AP streams. This would solve my issue not being able to use “old” B&O through APE in multi-room whole maintaining the “tap to join” feature for new speakers.
Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
2,126 Posts
Bronze Member
steve1977:

That’s great. Unfortunately, it doesn’t allow to mix an AP multi-room with an NL multi-room though (given required delay to activate above feature.

Maybe B&O will add a feature to “tap” to join AP streams. This would solve my issue not being able to use “old” B&O through APE in multi-room whole maintaining the “tap to join” feature for new speakers.

You can tap to join other B&O NL products to an Airplay stream happening elsewhere

For example, I often Airplay to my A9, and then tap to join my BS2, or either of my BV'S

By APE, do you mean Airport Express? In which case, is it software updated to AP2?

Anyway, you should be able to do what you are describing that you want
steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
905 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb:

You can tap to join other B&O NL products to an Airplay stream happening elsewhere

For example, I often Airplay to my A9, and then tap to join my BS2, or either of my BV'S

By APE, do you mean Airport Express? In which case, is it software updated to AP2?

I don’t think i can, but wish i’m wrong.

Yes, APE is updated to AP2. I can play to an APE and a BS1 in-sync. But only as soon as i disable the feature that allows AP to be distributed via NL. Enabling this feature introduces a delay. So, AP2 to BS1 ans APE only works as long as i disable this feature :(
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,472 Posts
Bronze Member

The choice is yours!

You can not mix AirPlay2 and the BeoLink distribution of an airplay session.

Find out, what suits you best.......probably AP2 as long as you depend on having the APE in the setup.

MM

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
905 Posts
Bronze Member
Millemissen:

The choice is yours!

Find out, what suits you best.......probably AP2 as long as you depend on having the APE in the setup.

MM

My preferred scenario would be AP2 with B&O supporting “join” :)
Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
2,126 Posts
Bronze Member

Maybe I dont understand.

What is your APE connected to?

Surely the easy use case is to Airplay to an Airplay 2 enabled B&O speaker, and then just tap to join (or use the app) to ad other B&O NL speakers.

Its worked for me for ages, and no delay - or nothing obvious.

Anyway, perhaps I'm not quite clear on what you're trying do exactly, an your exact setup.

steve1977:
Sandyb:

I don’t think i can, but wish i’m wrong.

Yes, APE is updated to AP2. I can play to an APE and a BS1 in-sync. But only as soon as i disable the feature that allows AP to be distributed via NL. Enabling this feature introduces a delay. So, AP2 to BS1 ans APE only works as long as i disable this feature :(

StKong
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
318 Posts
Bronze Member

steve1977:
Millemissen:

The choice is yours!

MM

My preferred scenario would be AP2 with B&O supporting “join” :)

I am with you 100% here, Steve. With the very limited input options currently offered natively by B&O, it seems counterintuitive that an Airplay source played to one speaker cannot be transported via B&O Multiroom to other NL speakers.

I hate to draw the Sonos-card, but they manage this functionality very well. NO LAGS. 

For me as an Apple Music user, my preferred use case would be Airplay 2 to, eg., my Beosound 1 and a distribution of that sound via NL Multiroom to everywhere else in the house in perfect sync. Why shouldn't it be possible?

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
2,126 Posts
Bronze Member

Am I missing something?

I Airplay all the time from my MBP/iPad/iPhone to one of BS2 / A9 MK2 / ATV.

From then, I can physically tap to join / join via BR1 / use B&O app to allow other B&O speakers / BVs.

If the problematic scenario is Airplaying to a non-B&O speaker, and then not be able to get B&O speakers to join via NL, then I get it.

But otherwise, it works for me, I dont get sync issues.

Occasionally the odd sync issue, but generally not.

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
1,554 Posts
Bronze Member
StKong:

I am with you 100% here, Steve. With the very limited input options currently offered natively by B&O, it seems counterintuitive that an Airplay source played to one speaker cannot be transported via B&O Multiroom to other NL speakers.

I hate to draw the Sonos-card, but they manage this functionality very well. NO LAGS.

For me as an Apple Music user, my preferred use case would be Airplay 2 to, eg., my Beosound 1 and a distribution of that sound via NL Multiroom to everywhere else in the house in perfect sync. Why shouldn't it be possible?

Started to Airplay to my BS Shape and could JOIN the Harmony.

So what is the issue?

And yes the box is ticked in the Shapss setting
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,472 Posts
Bronze Member

Sandyb:

Am I missing something?

I Airplay all the time from my MBP/iPad/iPhone to one of BS2 / A9 MK2 / ATV.

From then, I can physically tap to join / join via BR1 / use B&O app to allow other B&O speakers / BVs.

If the problematic scenario is Airplaying to a non-B&O speaker, and then not be able to get B&O speakers to join via NL, then I get it.

But otherwise, it works for me, I dont get sync issues.

Occasionally the odd sync issue, but generally not.

Exactly that is the point.

Airplaying to an APE uses the AP2 protocol and distributing that works fine as long as you stick to the AP2 protocol....which is supported by the B&O devices.

However, this can only be controlled ‘the Apple-way’ using the menu on iOS devices etc and adding AP2 speakers from there.

Join is using the B&O protocol - you can easily join what you play via AP on one B&O device from another or even from more B&O devices (Sandyb described howto).

But you cannot play to e.g. an APE and then join in on that (via the B&O streaming protocol) from a B&O device.

The AP2 protocol and the B&O protocol don’t work together.

As long as you want non-B&O AP2 capable devices in the mix, you must stick to the AP2 protocol, which means no joining.....whether you want it or not!

I distribute airplayed stuff all the time at home - but I only use B&O devices. I don’t use or even need AP2.

My two ATV4’s are never used to distribute AirPlay - they only receive when I am using one standalone.

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,472 Posts
Bronze Member

StKong:

With the very limited input options currently offered natively by B&O, it seems counterintuitive that an Airplay source played to one speaker cannot be transported via B&O Multiroom to other NL speakers.

I don’t get what you mean.

Basicly you can airplay anything to a B&O device.....and from there join in from other B&O devices.

What are you missing?

MM

Jaffrey2230
Top 150 Contributor
Washington DC
515 Posts
Bronze Member

I agree, you can AirPlay 2 anything from an iOS device to any number of speakers without going through any B&O protocol. In my case if a B&O speaker does not have AirPlay built-in, I just make sure it is connected to an Apple TV (if connected to a TV) or an Apple AirPort Express. You can basically use any AirPlay 2 complaint streamer to do the trick. I also prefer the AirPlay 2/iOS user interface over the B&O App for multi-room. So, you only have a problem if you'd rather use the B&O App vs. Apple's user interface.

B&O in my life 😊: 

• Beolab 8002 + Beolab 2 + Beosound Core with Essence Remote (Office)
  • Beolab 6000 + Beolab 11 + Beosound Core with Essence Remote (Bedroom)
  • Beoplay A9 Mk2 (Living Room)
  • Beosound 1 with wireless dock (Portable)
  • Beosound Balance (Dining)
  • Beoplay H95 (Focused listening, travel)
  • Beoplay H9 (3rd gen) (retired)
  • Beoplay P6 (Portable)
  • Beotime wall clock (hallway entrance)
  • BMW X5 50i with B&O Audio Package (Commute/drive)

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL