Is Bang and Olufsen in trouble?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 150 Replies | 0 Followers

Forester1
Not Ranked
27 Posts
Bronze Member
Forester1 posted on Mon, Dec 16 2019 11:42 AM

How else can I interpret a delay of almost two weeks in hearing from them online about my Beosound Stage which has been accepted warrants a full refund? I was told "As soon as our headquarters confirm the process, we will notify you and the return shipping label will be provided" That was on 3rd December and I have heard nothing since.

So what is going on at Headquarters? If anyone has any contact, please help. I have run out of patience.

All Replies

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,336 Posts
Bronze Member

Mikipidia:

Oh sorry, I thought is was the Bs4 bit that was faulty

That bit works fine. It's the panel. The guy that came around ran tests and the BeoSystem can power the BV11 in the other room, so that's working.

But it also shows the mentality of buying B&O - 3 man install job, can't be fixed easily, can't even be taken off the wall easily etc etc.

355f
Top 500 Contributor
cambridge/london
114 Posts
Bronze Member
355f replied on Thu, Jan 2 2020 9:41 AM

I agree but what do you think is uique about the stage when there seem to be better products out there. Many reporting issues with compatibility ?

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
746 Posts
Bronze Member

With the Stage you can have the B&O experience with the Beremote one

And what soundbar do you think pair with the Stage? IMO it is the best looking soundbar out there.

The Issue is due to LG, all brands apparently have the same problem with LG televisions. 

But Moxxey would you not miss your BL3 and 11,

I can say if you would choose a Eclipse or Harmony, you would get a steller TV with great performance.

And dont think about downgrading to a 55" when you are used to 65" Only go bigger ;) 

Beovision Harmony 77" 2nd Gen, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1, Beoplay M3, Beoplay H6, Beoplay Earset, Beoliving Intelligence 

355f
Top 500 Contributor
cambridge/london
114 Posts
Bronze Member
355f replied on Thu, Jan 2 2020 11:57 AM

Emil Jensen:

And what soundbar do you think pair with the Stage? IMO it is the best looking soundbar out there.

The Issue is due to LG, all brands apparently have the same problem with LG televisions. 

The B&O experience is what moxey is sick of and so am I.  Why buy the outdated eclipse, that looks rather ugly at 6 times the price of LG or the hugely expensive and rather ugly B&O horixon.

For a soundbar, without the poo service Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar   seems a good bet

I can say if you would choose a Eclipse or Harmony, you would get a steller TV with great performance.

And dont think about downgrading to a 55" when you are used to 65" Only go bigger ;) 

Emil Jensen:

Emil Jensen:

best looking? its a  soundbar, ive heard it , its not bad but its not spectacular either, no depth so bass is lacking.

One could connect the other speakers via WISA  but with LG its seems that only gives you stereo with a mixed centre

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
746 Posts
Bronze Member

335f it is fair that you do not like the Eclipse or Hamony design, but I do a lot of people like it.

And the Eclipse is not outdated, what do you miss currently?

Yes it is a C7 not a C9, but I will bet you would not be able to see the difference. HDMI 2.1 will be an issue 2021, but then you could argue that all tv and Surround receivers are outdated, exept LG televsions.

The Sennheiser is nice, but very expensive and IMO ugly as you would put it.

And for me I would miss following features in my Eclipse,

Nice remote,

Motorstand

Surround processor

PUC Control

Net radio- by remote

My buttons.

Easily worth the cost imo.

Beovision Harmony 77" 2nd Gen, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1, Beoplay M3, Beoplay H6, Beoplay Earset, Beoliving Intelligence 

BeoET
Not Ranked
76 Posts
Bronze Member
BeoET replied on Thu, Jan 2 2020 1:28 PM

I've read this thread with interest, and I wonder what would be the best recommendations to B&O to adapt to the new era. Personally I think - and hope - we and new customers will continue to purchase high end Danish AV designs, functional sculptures to have in our homes. How many other brands have designed such timeless, high quality craftsmanship AV products that you still like to use and have in your living room for 10-15-20 years? 
When we bought the Eclipse 65, we moved our previous primary TV - a BV5 - to a second living room - this still works perfectly together with the BL8000s. And the Eclipse is just fantastic with the BL5s and the BS9000. (BS Core acts as a multi-room hub). It is much more sustainable to buy quality products and keep these alive for years, in stead of buying the latest low-cost models yearly.

I think we will see an increased shift in people requesting products with a longer life span. Not easy with the rapid technology developments, but I think customers seeking long lasting, sustainable and timeless AV products can live a few years with a TV set that has a 4k HDR DV OLED panel integrated in a great looking and sounding soundbar on top of a moving stand (like the Eclipse). And when we know that there is an increasing number of high income middle class customers world wide, there should be a market for B&O going forward as well. Just continue to make desirable, easy to use and great sounding products with high end materials - products we want to have and use in our homes for years!

BV Eclipse 65, BV5, BS Core, BL5, BL8000, BS9000, Beolit 12, A1, A2, P2, H8, H9i, H7, E8

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,336 Posts
Bronze Member

Emil Jensen:

I won't, no. Better things to worry about. Plus I'm not going to 'find' another £7K. Just too much of a difference. For what real gain? It's a deposit on a good car!

I genuinely don't sit there and admire my TV like some are suggesting on here. Maybe 10 years ago, but the picture quality difference is fairly minimal now and both my BV's are fixed to the wall, so a motorised stand is not required nor necessary. A Stage gives you access to the remote and some control, so that will suffice.

Alsfeld
Top 500 Contributor
147 Posts
Founder

I quote from the thread "End of an Era :(" because I think the following statement is a very good analysis and shows another aspect:

BeoMatthew:

It's been my experience selling B&O from the the end of 1999 until very recently that B&O has followed many of the wrong trends and where it's followed the right ones, it's been somewhat blindsided but the challenges of those parts of the business. 

Specifically that the high-ticket sales have trended more toward large custom installations rather than a few luxury items like expensive TVs & 2-channel speaker setups and they've basically either ignored, or in recent history, antagonized that channel. 

Then they've created some really fabulous bluetooth speakers and headphones but seemed to be shocked that they flood into the market and wind up getting marked down through online channels and brick & mortar B&O dealers are left as service points for broken headphones and dead speaker batteries as well as a place to try them on for size before ordering them off Amazon before even leaving the store. 

So while the products they have are pretty good, the holes in their lineup and their approach to core business and retail business are just goofy.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
2,126 Posts
Bronze Member

Interesting, and of course thats great if that combo will serve you well.

I haven't listened yet to the Stage, but subject to the caveat that it may sound great, if my 12-65 died and required a replacement, I'd really miss my BL18's / 3's / 19 connected. I love a big immersive sound, and cant quite believe a soundbar will make me happy. 

As a second room (my bedroom in my case) setup, Stage plus screen would be ace.

But as you say, maybe there are other things to worry about.

moxxey:

Emil Jensen:

I won't, no. Better things to worry about. Plus I'm not going to 'find' another £7K. Just too much of a difference. For what real gain? It's a deposit on a good car!

I genuinely don't sit there and admire my TV like some are suggesting on here. Maybe 10 years ago, but the picture quality difference is fairly minimal now and both my BV's are fixed to the wall, so a motorised stand is not required nor necessary. A Stage gives you access to the remote and some control, so that will suffice.

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
746 Posts
Bronze Member

I can only agree with you Sandyb,

I sold my Beolab 20 and are waiting for my Beolab5 to arrive,

In the mean time I have really missed the immersive sound.

I could ditch the surround, have done that before, but never two front speakers.

IA64
Top 500 Contributor
132 Posts
Bronze Member
IA64 replied on Fri, Jan 3 2020 12:05 AM

Emil Jensen:

I can only agree with you Sandyb,

I sold my Beolab 20 and are waiting for my Beolab5 to arrive,

In the mean time I have really missed the immersive sound.

I could ditch the surround, have done that before, but never two front speakers.

Why are you replacing the BL20's with the BL5 ? 

AndersPersson
Not Ranked
22 Posts
Bronze Member

Aussie Michael:

Even if coding is done overseas it’s not the coding but the management of the coding and testing and creating accurate test cases that’s important against that code.

Nope.
This is the usual statement from the board in a company that is actually only looking at the hourly rate for a developer, not what is delivered in that hour.
It is often combined with other statements of wishful thinking like "failure is not an option".

If the delivered software is far off the expected delivery it means that the test cases cannot even be applied.
By the time the the software is close enough to even start testing the market opportunity is already gone, or the board simply forces the software in its current state to the market when needed (exactly what B&O has done).

Either the development is done in close collaboration with the "business" (and that means they are more or less sitting together, at the absolute minimum in the same timezone, plus/minus one hour) or the requirement spec is bullet proof and watertight.
Writing a rock solid requirement spec is extremely hard and astronomically time consuming, even for small applications like the B&O app, so the tight collaboration is what works.

By selecting the right subcontractor it can work to outsource, guys from former Eastern Europe are in my experience generally good.
But absolutely forget India, that is a disaster waiting to happen.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,336 Posts
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

Carolpa:

You mean that you are deaf, blind and are in denial that this forum is a part of: "is Bang & Olufsen in trouble"?

This forum is slowly turning into something that scares B&O newcomers away from B&O.

As *if* there are "B&O newcomers" out there Big Smile

Besides, I really doubt the first thing they do is read this board. Do you go seeking out every board every time you make a new purchase? Of course not! You *might* come on to this board as an owner for feedback and support.

I can't remember the last "I'm new to this brand and thinking of buying...." post.

Please don't on here MM and try make us guilty that us - the long term owners and brand supporters - are bringing down the brand by being negative in certain forum discussions. If this was true, how Manchester United survives I don't know. Their board is purely negative vile.

Mikipidia
Top 50 Contributor
2,067 Posts
Bronze Member
I would’ve thought YouTube is the first place you go to check out a new product you’d want to buyWhistle

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beolab 3's, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

mikipedi4 on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/mikipedi4

Old: Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

jgraefe
Not Ranked
56 Posts
Bronze Member
https://www.scmp.com/business/investor-relations/article/3044271/hong-kong-listed-lamborghini-distributor-aims-grow-high

BS9000 + BS Core + Beosystem 3 + BL8000 + BL4 + BL2 + BL7-1 // BeoVision 7 32“ + BL8000 // Beoplay M5 // Beoplay S3 // 2x BL3500 // 2x BeoPlay A6 + 2x Essence Remote // 2x BeoSound 8 // Playmaker + BL6000

Page 9 of 11 (151 items) « First ... < Previous 7 8 9 10 11 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL