Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Beolit12 battery replacement / upgrade?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 15 Replies | 1 Follower

bigbruggsy
Top 500 Contributor
93 Posts
Bronze Member
bigbruggsy posted on Thu, Dec 12 2019 9:24 PM

Hello all, almost a year ago I bought a cheap beolit12 which had a battery pack that would not hold charge anymore. This didnt bother me as the unit stayed mostly in the kitchen plugged into the wall.

But now I feel the need to give this beaut little speaker some freedom.

I've opened up the battery pack (quite messily I must admit, as i wasnt sure where the internal components were situated inside) And may have permamntly damaged the circuitry (using the knife I used to cut open the plastic housing)

My first question is

Can you even buy a new Beolit12 battery pack? and if so where?

Second one is , have I damaged mine ? please see photo attached

And third, if I havent damaged mine can I replace the original battery cells with something with a much higher capacity, but with the same physical size, voltage etc.

Something like these - 

Panasonic NCR18650B 3400mAh 3.7v Li-ion MH12210 ...

I look forward to you replies.

Beolab 8000 x 2

Beolab 1

Beolab 2

Beovision 7-40

Beosound 9000

Beosound Ouverture

Beolit 12

All Replies

bigbruggsy
Top 500 Contributor
93 Posts
Bronze Member

No one has ever found a replacement battery pack online? or even rebuilt one themselves?

Beolab 8000 x 2

Beolab 1

Beolab 2

Beovision 7-40

Beosound 9000

Beosound Ouverture

Beolit 12

matador43
Top 100 Contributor
1,051 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi,

I'm not an expert here but as nobody answered yet, here is my experience…

If the whole form factor of the battery is still intact or close to (i.e the battery still fit into is compartment), then yes you may rebuilt the battery with individual spare cells. You must be able to find the original cells reference on your original battery, just google any marking you'll find on it. Keep any other component such as thermal sensors or anything and and keep a good reference of any internal wiring.

Soldering that king of batteries may be difficult but not impossible. And of course once done, I'll would keep an eye on the device and never let it plug alone without surveillance for a certain period. Just in case…

I've done that several times with Beo6 battery (it's quite common) and have heard about various battery reconstruction without any problem.

Hope it helps.

Amonra009
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Bronze Member
Suggested by Amonra009

Hello, maybe you have more photos where they are visible as soldered wires?

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
2,092 Posts
Bronze Member

I will take a better picture today.

I opened it up yesterday, and sent a request for batteries from a local store.

The batteries are:

cgr18650cg li-ion mh12210

The battery pack has 4 batteries, and the pack has a rating of 14,4V /3000mAh/28,8Wh

According to the local store they are Panasonic.

I’ll upload I picture showing how the wires are connected later today.
Amonra009
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Bronze Member

https

did I understand correctly?

matador43
Top 100 Contributor
1,051 Posts
Bronze Member

Amonra009:
did I understand correctly?

No, I beleive:

The blue and maybe black wires seems to go to the thermal sensor stuck with the white paste. I've seen this in Beosound 3 battery as well.

It worth waiting for the detailed pics of Leo to have the correct wiring. 

dahiyas
Top 500 Contributor
United States
117 Posts
Silver Member

Matador..you are right about the thermal sensor and wire colors.

I have replaced these on multiple beolit 12's. The only recommendation will be to get batteries with tabs if possible until and unless you have a spot welder handy.

Also, be careful when putting the battery cover back. Couple of years when I did this for the time, when closing the battery cover, I saw smoke. The battery was not yet connected to the beolit. When closing the cover, one of the wires got pinched between the cover and one of the battery tabs and that created a short. The wire became hot and the wire shielding melted and there was smoke. Luckily nothing was damaged. So learnt the reason why the wires were below the white glue in the middle. Smile.

This is what I have used in the past - 

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/sparkfun-electronics/PRT-13189/5271299?s=N4IgjCBcoEwKwA4qgMZQGYEMA2BnApgDQgD2UA2iACwAMcdAzCALrEAOALlCAMocBOASwB2AcxABfYlTAxkINJCx4ipCiAYA2OAzBwW7LpF4CR4iVJBzIlMAm00WEoA

Amonra009
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Bronze Member

Thermal sensor these are 2 black cables, I have no idea where the blue and green cables will connect.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rRkrLdwMargv7upT8

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
2,092 Posts
Bronze Member

I think that green and yellow are the sensors for equal charging.

And blue and two black are thermal sensors.
dahiyas
Top 500 Contributor
United States
117 Posts
Silver Member

This is the only one I could find from the past.

Amonra009
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Bronze Member

Are the batteries connected to each other in the middle?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hD6cTvjxirKtNwn76

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL