rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 4 Replies | 2 Followers

SrgtPepper
Not Ranked
2 Posts
Bronze Member
SrgtPepper posted on Thu, Dec 5 2019 4:19 PM

Hello!

Im new in the Vinyl world and have managed to acquire a mint condition BEOGRAM 1203.
Im wondering what is required in order for me to connect it to a newer B&O speaker like BEOPLAY A9, BEOSOUND 2 etc

Appreciate any feedback I can get

Remarks: Pls treat me as a child when it comes to this world

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,928 Posts
Founder

The speakers you mention are essentially Bluetooth/Wireless though you can connect via wire if you wish. The issues you have are:

1. The 1203 will output a very low signal with no bass and you need a device called a RIAA amplifier which equalises the sound to the same type of output as a CD player or tape player. These can be purchased - I suggest Sounds Heavenly.

2. Now you have the correct output, you need to get this output to the speaker. The easiest way to do this is probably to attach the output of the RIAA to the input of your computer and assuming this can then stream to the A9 or Beosound 2, you are fine. The record player needs really to be kept on an isolated shelf as the 1203 is not as well isolated as some of the later decks with their 'dance proof' suspension although better than the earlier decks.

3. You can attach to the input of the speakers directly and use the volume control of the speakers though this will limit placement.

Peter

All Replies

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,928 Posts
Founder

The speakers you mention are essentially Bluetooth/Wireless though you can connect via wire if you wish. The issues you have are:

1. The 1203 will output a very low signal with no bass and you need a device called a RIAA amplifier which equalises the sound to the same type of output as a CD player or tape player. These can be purchased - I suggest Sounds Heavenly.

2. Now you have the correct output, you need to get this output to the speaker. The easiest way to do this is probably to attach the output of the RIAA to the input of your computer and assuming this can then stream to the A9 or Beosound 2, you are fine. The record player needs really to be kept on an isolated shelf as the 1203 is not as well isolated as some of the later decks with their 'dance proof' suspension although better than the earlier decks.

3. You can attach to the input of the speakers directly and use the volume control of the speakers though this will limit placement.

Peter

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
1,668 Posts
Gold Member

Hi SrgtPepper,

Welcome to Beoworld!  Yes, you just need a pre-amp like this one, which includes cables and instructions, ready to use (Please choose the 3.5mm TRS option for later A9 speakers and Beosound 2):-

https://soundsheavenly.com/beogram-record-players/12-2196-pre-amp-bundle-for-bo-beogram-and-all-turntables.html#/36-output-5_pin_din_aux/41-power_supply-uk

Any questions, please ask!

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

SrgtPepper
Not Ranked
2 Posts
Bronze Member

Dear Stevem

appreciate your feedback.

I just need to purchase a later version of A9 speaker that has the option of connecting a 3,5mm TRS together with purchasing the pre-amp via yours and I should be good to go?

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
1,668 Posts
Gold Member

Hi,

Yes you can use any version of A9 speaker, if you get an earlier speaker with red and white RCA sockets then please choose the "Twin RCA Plugs" option for the pre-amp.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL