rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Graham1982
Not Ranked
27 Posts
Bronze Member
Graham1982 posted on Tue, Dec 3 2019 5:35 PM

Dear all:

It has been a while since I have posted on here.

My daughter wanted some Airpods for Christmas/birthday and I was reluctant due to the price tag and the way they look i.e. horrible in my opinion.

Would the headphones above be a good substitute or not really? There are some refurb ones available for £99 and I would rather get these if they are truly better.

I have older Bang & Olufsen equipment and love it, specifically a Beovision 5. Also, I don't like playing into the brand awareness thing with kids (ironic given my love of b &o) but I would rather go this route rather than buy off brand Airpod copies for which she will likely get grief at school (I know, first world problems).

Any ideas?

Thanks

Graham

PS Daughter really isn't bothered about something being B & O or not, I doubt she even knows anything about b & o other than the TV in the lounge is made by them.

All Replies

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
2,340 Posts
Gold Member
Duels replied on Tue, Dec 3 2019 5:46 PM
Personally, I would try to get her the AirPods if that is what she has asked for. Not copies or B&O equivalents.

They will be the thing that her friends/peers aspire to and that is extremely important to kids and young adults.

I know they may possibly be a bit more expensive but if it’s what she really wants......

(Spoken as a father not B&O fan)
Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
2,340 Posts
Gold Member
Duels replied on Tue, Dec 3 2019 5:48 PM
........Oh and it really doesn’t matter if you think the AirPods look horrible because you won’t be wearing them. Wink
Jaffrey2230
Top 500 Contributor
Washington DC
166 Posts
Bronze Member

I agree. I own both the B&O E8 2.0 and AirPods. The AirPods are better all round because of convenience, mic quality, battery life, range and sound quality is only slightly worse. AirPods are very easy to use and that is their main advantage...I never use my E8 2.0 ever now. For flights I use my B&O H9 Noise cancelling (they E8 are not noise cancelling), for everyday I use AirPods.

B&O products I use by zones in my home: 

Platform: Apple; TV/Office: Beolab 8002 (Red) + Beolab 2 [Sony 65A1E OLED TV, Apple TV 4K];  Living: Beoplay A9 (MK2); Bedroom: Beolab 6000 (Red) + Beolab 11 + Beosound Core [LG UST Projector, Apple TV 4K]; Dining: Beosound Stage; Portable: Beosound 1 (GVA, Anthracite), Beoplay P6, Beoplay H9 (3rd Gen)  

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
4,905 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Wed, Dec 4 2019 10:24 AM

Graham1982:

My daughter wanted some Airpods for Christmas/birthday and I was reluctant due to the price tag and the way they look i.e. horrible in my opinion.

The new AirPod Pro's look ok? Besides what looks "good" to a grown adult and a kid on the street, in front of their mates, is a very different level of "good".

If you're thinking the E8's are some kind of AirPod-beater, please don't, They are decent, but a) would she really want wired earbuds in 2020 and b) do you want to spend that kind of cash to use at school? There are plenty of entry-level buds out there. 

Graham1982
Not Ranked
27 Posts
Bronze Member

Dear moxxey (and everybody else, in case I have made a mistake with the model number):

I mean these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bang-Olufsen-Wireless-Bluetooth-Earphones-Black/dp/B07L18F6T1/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=beoplay+e8&qid=1575482321&sr=8-7

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
2,340 Posts
Gold Member
Duels replied on Wed, Dec 4 2019 6:08 PM
Perhaps moxxey was thinking of the H8s which are wired.
Graham1982
Not Ranked
27 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi everyone:

In which case let me restate the intention behind my message. Lots of my assertions might be based on half truths or things that I have come to think over the years, not, as someone pointed out above, what a 12 year old would think.

Okay I repair/act as an agent for the repair of phones iphones as a sideline and I have a Mac Pro cheese grater. Thus I am not a Mac hater but I do feel that some of their stuff is style over substance and that they aren't always great.

I am not in the income bracket to afford b & o brand new and to be honest, even if I was I don't think I would purchase b & o brand new because as much as I love it, I couldn't justify the expense.

Now, I am fully aware of the ridiculing and things that can go on at school both being a teacher and a student that grew up in Essex before it was famous for The Only Way is Essex. One example I can remember as a kid was that when Kickers were fashionable, my parents unknowingly brought me some imitations that looked exactly the same but were called "Kopies" and this was the name written on the green and red tags, oh how my classmates laughed and I did not.

Thus, as much as I would like my daughter to rise above such behavior, I remember being on the receiving end of it and not liking it thus I would not buy her a Airpod clone as that could encourage that kind of situation.

My main reason for floating the idea of a B & O alternative is that by getting her a pair of these, it clearly would not be a cheapo option, cheaper yes but not cheapo and B & O do have some kudos. I really wanted to consider these if the sound quality was better, I don't want my daughter blindly getting into the cult of Mac (as she is in danger of doing now, she has an Iphone 6S I gave her as her first phone (as a consequence of my repair work) yet this year she was already harping on about can I get the latest model because (spurious reasons).

For example, I have a Pioneer plasma that I took out of someone's house when they moved from 2001 (so old it has a separate processing unit) and a Beovision 5. I don't have and will not buy a new TV from Argos or Tesco or whatever, whether it is 4k or not, if and when either of these break I will buy another B & O, not because it is B & O but because the quality is better.

Therefore I would rather my daughter was educated a bit about purchase options rather than blindly go the route of kids that brought those Beats by Dr Dre or Skullcandy things from a few years back that were awful.

Cheers

Graham

Jaffrey2230
Top 500 Contributor
Washington DC
166 Posts
Bronze Member

AirPods are surprisingly good. They work well for what they do. I would not consider them style over substance. I guess there are cheaper options but they are not better. My 2 cents worth. 

B&O products I use by zones in my home: 

Platform: Apple; TV/Office: Beolab 8002 (Red) + Beolab 2 [Sony 65A1E OLED TV, Apple TV 4K];  Living: Beoplay A9 (MK2); Bedroom: Beolab 6000 (Red) + Beolab 11 + Beosound Core [LG UST Projector, Apple TV 4K]; Dining: Beosound Stage; Portable: Beosound 1 (GVA, Anthracite), Beoplay P6, Beoplay H9 (3rd Gen)  

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL