Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Do you recommend to use a non B&O Turntable to a B&O Soundsystem with Active Speakers?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 26 Replies | 3 Followers

Sepi
Not Ranked
8 Posts
Bronze Member
Sepi posted on Thu, Dec 13 2012 6:56 AM

I have the Beosound 4 and the Beolab 6000 and I was using for a while a Project Turntable with a Phono Preamp (TUBE BOX II also from Project) connected to the AUX of the beosound 4 trough a AVT2 MIT cable. 

The sound was not superb because there was always this ground noise that i did not manage to stop.

The main problem came when the phono preamp suddenly stopped working, and even if it was still quite new and i did not really use it very often.

I brought it to the TURNTABLE shop and they guy told me that probably because the B&O has active speakers, this overheated the phono preamp.  Besides he says that for a pure turntable sound he recommends a amplifier with passive speakers, and not like B&O offers nowadays.

So now i am basically scared to connect again the turntable with the phono preamp to the B&O system. I dont know what to believe or where it is the problem.

HELP!

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,908 Posts
Founder
Answered (Verified) Peter replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 7:13 AM
Verified by Sepi

Complete drivel by the salesman! The input to the Beosound has no real effect on the pre-amp and the presence of active speakers absolutely none. Sounds like a fault in the pre-amp. Many of the best turntable systems use active speakers - active merely means that each driver is powered by a dedicated tailored amplifier and the cross over occurs before the power amplifier. I would avoid that salesman like the plague as he clearly knows nothing!

On 'pure turntable sound', I dare say he is thinking of speakers like the Beolab 5 which have digital to analogue converters but this is rubbish as well!!

Peter

All Replies

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,908 Posts
Founder
Answered (Verified) Peter replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 7:13 AM
Verified by Sepi

Complete drivel by the salesman! The input to the Beosound has no real effect on the pre-amp and the presence of active speakers absolutely none. Sounds like a fault in the pre-amp. Many of the best turntable systems use active speakers - active merely means that each driver is powered by a dedicated tailored amplifier and the cross over occurs before the power amplifier. I would avoid that salesman like the plague as he clearly knows nothing!

On 'pure turntable sound', I dare say he is thinking of speakers like the Beolab 5 which have digital to analogue converters but this is rubbish as well!!

Peter

Sepi
Not Ranked
8 Posts
Bronze Member
Sepi replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 10:33 AM

Thanks Peter. I will not desist then.

Only problem is that i still dont know why i overheated the phono preamp... i am worried will happen again.. and that device is not cheap.

Also the damn ground noise... not very happy with my setup right now... 

Sepi
Not Ranked
8 Posts
Bronze Member
Sepi replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 10:35 AM

oh yes i forgot.. that salesman keep insisting to buy a stabilizer to control the voltage power... do you think it is necessary?

stefan
Top 50 Contributor
200 miles from Struer
2,748 Posts
Founder
stefan replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 11:20 AM

Completely agree with Peter!

What the salesman told you is absolutely nonsense!

And yes, a stabilizer is necessary to make profit for the salesman. If your RIAA preamp is ok, you won`t need one, and if it`s not ok, you will need another preamp.

Why not get a preamp from Sounds Heavenly:

http://www.soundsheavenly.co.uk/bando-riaa.htm

I think, Steve can also provide the correct cables.

I`m using turntables (Beo, with and without RIAAs) since years in my different setups - without any problems.

You can connect any line level source to any B&O system with active or passive speakers.

There is absolute no reason to overheat a preamp. Sorry, I never heard such a rubbish before...!

I think your preamp, or any electronic parts of it, were just faulty, which causes the overheating..(?)

Stefan

Sepi
Not Ranked
8 Posts
Bronze Member
Sepi replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 11:46 AM

Thanks Stefan.

What about the ground noise? did you ever find this problem?

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
4,157 Posts
Bronze Member

Sepi:

Thanks Stefan.

What about the ground noise? did you ever find this problem?

Sounds to me that your pre amp is faulty. If it is under warranty then send it back and get it repaired or replaced.

I use a TC770LC from www.phonopreamps.com with excellent results.

The hum is likely caused by poor ground (earth) connections. You need an earth wire between the turntable chassis and the pre amp and a further earth wire between the pre amp and the B&O.

Kick the salesman into touch, he is talking rubbish!!!!

Regards Graham

stefan
Top 50 Contributor
200 miles from Struer
2,748 Posts
Founder
stefan replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 12:58 PM

No, I never had any ground noise - I would exactly try what Graham suggests with ground connections .

Stefan

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,908 Posts
Founder
Peter replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 2:08 PM

I would also get a far cheaper pre-amp! Avoid the tubes - this is fashion! A nice simple solid state RIAA amp will give you no bother and I defy anyone to hear the difference with the present set up. We are all suckers for kit like this - the nice glow of a couple of valves - many of these type of devices, and I do not include any specific model, have solid state architecture with a couple of valves bunged in to attract audiophiles. A friend of mine who writes for Hi-Fi magazines has regularly complained to me in despiring terms of what is sold! Unfortunately advertising talks - this explains the ridiculous interconnect and power cable tests you see. James Randi has offered $1,000,000 to anyone who can reliably differentiate such products - his money remains safe!

Peter

Sepi
Not Ranked
8 Posts
Bronze Member
Sepi replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 2:28 PM

oh man... how i like to complicate my life... how happy was i with the ipod.... Crying

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
6,309 Posts
Gold Member

Sepi:

oh man... how i like to complicate my life... how happy was i with the ipod.... Crying

Not complicated at all, as Graham I can recommend Phonopreamps, I've used a TC750 with connections for TT and 3 more sources, that gives you the possibility to connect your Ipod too, and maybe sound from TV or other.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

BO
Top 150 Contributor
Halmstad, Sweden
728 Posts
Bronze Member
BO replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 8:58 PM

Peter:
I would also get a far cheaper pre-amp.......... James Randi has offered $1,000,000 to anyone who can reliably differentiate such products - his money remains safe!

Good speech. There is to much snake oil out there!SmileSmile

//Bo.
A long list...

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
1,399 Posts
Gold Member
TWG replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 11:25 AM

If you want another turntable go and get a Technics 1210.
Built like a tank and it's a shame that Technics finally stopped producing them.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,490 Posts
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 3:50 PM

I can also highly recommend the phonopreamps.com gear. I'm using one of these:

http://www.phonopreamps.com/TC-770LCpp.html

to connect my Beogram 3000 to my Beosound 9000 with excellent results. I chose this one because the B&O cartridges could use the extra, adjustable gain to match levels with the CD changer output of the Beosound, and it also has DIN inputs so I don't have to go DIN to RCA from the B&O table. Sounds great too, no noise, no hum, no drama.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,908 Posts
Founder
Peter replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 6:04 PM

Jeff:

I can also highly recommend the phonopreamps.com gear. I'm using one of these:

http://www.phonopreamps.com/TC-770LCpp.html

to connect my Beogram 3000 to my Beosound 9000 with excellent results. I chose this one because the B&O cartridges could use the extra, adjustable gain to match levels with the CD changer output of the Beosound, and it also has DIN inputs so I don't have to go DIN to RCA from the B&O table. Sounds great too, no noise, no hum, no drama.

That looks very good and a reasonable price. 

Peter

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL