This post has 32 Replies | 1 Follower

w5bno123
Top 150 Contributor
London
Posts 537
Bronze Member
w5bno123 Posted: Mon, Dec 2 2019 2:48 PM
Hello all

Beo4 was first introduced in 1994 and today it has officially sold out. Over 1.9 million units were manufactured which is staggering! Since the introduction of BeoRemote 1 sales have dropped off rapidly and with the new for Bluetooth this is understandable.

How many people still use a Beo4 today?

Regards

Stuart

B&O Ealing
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 12,476
Bronze Member

I do!

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Fritz
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 166
Bronze Member
Fritz replied on Mon, Dec 2 2019 2:57 PM

So do I

OldJack
Top 500 Contributor
Split
Posts 256
Gold Member
OldJack replied on Mon, Dec 2 2019 3:05 PM

Beo4 navi  forever,with LinTronic,controlling all my B&O and non B&O equipments.

Beogram 6500 MMC2,Beosound Ouverture,2xBeolab 8000,2xBelolab 4000,Beolab 2,Beolab 7.2,Beo4 navi, 2xBeocom2,Serene,Beosystem 3 mk3,H6 2nd gen,Earphones A8,A9 keyring,Bottle opener,Wine Set,4Ktv Samsung 55'',Beolab 7.1 with 42''Panasonic plasma,Beoplay A1,Oppo udp-203, LinTronic.

jvezina
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 141
Gold Member
jvezina replied on Mon, Dec 2 2019 3:08 PM

I use it for my Beovision 7

W.Frankenberg
Top 500 Contributor
Heilbronn / Germany
Posts 145
Gold Member

w5bno123:

I use it for Beosystem 2500 and Beovision 7 

w5bno123:
Since the introduction of BeoRemote 1 sales have dropped off rapidly and with the new for Bluetooth this is understandable.

could I also treat the old devices so comfortably with a Beo one remote?

Best regards

wilfried

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,545
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Mon, Dec 2 2019 3:22 PM

I have three! Since I'm un-masterlinking the house though I only really need one, but the others are backups now I guess.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
Posts 1,635
Gold Member
Guy replied on Mon, Dec 2 2019 3:30 PM

I use three Beo4s, plus a BL1000 in the kitchen.  I have about 20 'backups' of each type Smile

Evan
Top 25 Contributor
Germany
Posts 3,593
Gold Member
Evan replied on Mon, Dec 2 2019 4:03 PM

My signature says it all!

I love the Beo4 dearly. Have been using the MKIII since '07 or '08 when I started down the B&O rabbit hole. 

Currently use a Beo4 with Nav at home, have another MKIII in reserve and have a ratty old MKII I use at work.

Beo4 'til I die!

beocool
Top 25 Contributor
Alankomaat
Posts 6,033
Gold Member
beocool replied on Mon, Dec 2 2019 4:47 PM

I've had a Beo4 in daily use for about 20 years now. Hoping to add a few more years Smile

Vähintään yhdeksänkymmentä prosenttia suomalainen! 

BeoFrederic
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 96
Gold Member

Daily.

lawrencejmcook
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Founder
I use two: one for my BV6-26, one for my BV9.

But I don’t like the Beo4. I would choose a BL5000 if B&O still made 2-way IR.
twowheel2001
Not Ranked
Posts 34
Bronze Member

I have 5 - Almost 1 in every room,

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,745
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Mon, Dec 2 2019 7:59 PM
I use Beo 4s in 4 rooms, BeoRemote 1 in the 5th room. I have always been a big fan of the Beo 4, but recently have found myself wanting to replace them with BeoRemote 1s. I have grown to like the BeoRemote 1 better. But as long as the Beo 4s work, I will keep using them.
Emil
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 128
Bronze Member
Emil replied on Mon, Dec 2 2019 11:24 PM

Used on a daily basis. Got my first one back in 1997 with an MX7000 as an addition to the BeoLink 5000 I bought (at an ridiculously expensive price at that time) with my Beosystem 2500. Still have several of them from all generations. Same applies to the BeoLink 5000 even though the display died a couple of years ago. Liked the Beo6:s too but not as an everyday remote as the Beo4. Both of the Beo6:s are also sadly gone now due to the known battery drain issue...

Has a BeoRemote 1 BT for my eclipse now and even if there’s more functionality in that remote than the beo4:s, I actually prefer the look, feel and button layout of the beo4. It is a lot easier to find the buttons. 

Frederic
Top 500 Contributor
Belgium
Posts 109
Bronze Member
Frederic replied on Mon, Dec 2 2019 11:26 PM

I do too ! I have 10 (all Navi) and all used almost daily from the one in the garage and from there through the house, his and hers in the Master Bedroom. Only two which are used less are the two in the guestrooms.

Add 3 beo6, MCP6500 (used daily), BL7000, BL1000 and a Beo1

Beo4 is close in first place just before BL1000, 

Can't imagine having BR1 as al my lights are controlled with an easy Light + Colour Button. Two presses, how easy can it be without even looking at the remote.

Again, an end of an era ;-(

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,406
Gold Member
TWG replied on Tue, Dec 3 2019 8:06 AM

Daily.

I prefer it over the Beoremote One. Beo 4 feels much better!

matador43
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 534
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Tue, Dec 3 2019 10:47 AM

Frederic:
my lights are controlled with an easy Light + Colour Button.

Is that a standard feature, or does it need some additional equipment ?

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,545
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Dec 3 2019 2:53 PM

Will the price of used ones now creep up or decline? Seems that last I looked on eBay they weren't going for as much as they had been.

Jeff

Frederic
Top 500 Contributor
Belgium
Posts 109
Bronze Member

matador43:

Frederic:
my lights are controlled with an easy Light + Colour Button.

Is that a standard feature, or does it need some additional equipment ?

That was the B&O Lutron system unfortunately now out of production but you still can find them.

-Either stand alone B&O Rania dimmers

- Or multiple and connectable multizone B&O Grafik Eyes

Solid as stone quality, even compatible with led and led dimmable (not all maybe)

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 969
Bronze Member

Beo 4 what an icon, in its day it was unbeatable.

Unfortunately it was a case , as seems usual from the mid 2000's, that yet again Struer rested on its Laurels.

The money they wasted on the development of the disastrous Beo5/6 (worst ergonomics EVER in an interface device) could have been put into refining the BEO4 into an even better version of the latest  beoremote 1. 

The Beo4 is dead, long live the Beo4!

JC
Top 100 Contributor
West Yorkshire
Posts 760
Founder
JC replied on Wed, Dec 4 2019 9:03 AM

Me too, it will never be beaten as a remote imo!

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 4,861
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Wed, Dec 4 2019 10:21 AM

w5bno123:

I have about 3 here gathering dust. Last used one about 5 years ago. Always used the BeoRemote.

Honestly, who uses a Beo 4 these days? Looks like a remote from 1995 Big Smile

Evan
Top 25 Contributor
Germany
Posts 3,593
Gold Member
Evan replied on Wed, Dec 4 2019 1:02 PM

moxxey:
Honestly, who uses a Beo 4 these days? Looks like a remote from 1995 Big Smile

Careful - those words are fightin' words! Laughing

Beo4 'til I die!

JC
Top 100 Contributor
West Yorkshire
Posts 760
Founder
JC replied on Wed, Dec 4 2019 1:03 PM

SurpriseWhistle

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,562
Founder

We use these Beo4's for daily use since 2008, if I remember correctly. Changed the keyboardpads once at all three.

These Beo4's were a "special" version prior to the PUC controller (introduced with the BV7), the STB-Controller.

The STB-C controller had only the option Sat-STB (later on DTV-STB) or VAUX-STB for controlling 2 third party settopboxes.

So, with these Beo4's you could directly choose these sources, instead of using the List function when you needed the VAUX source al the time.

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
Posts 1,635
Gold Member
Guy replied on Wed, Dec 4 2019 2:14 PM

Here's a few of mine!  All the main types covered Big Smile

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,562
Founder

It looks like you're collecting them, instead of using them Big Smile

Every "Go" button is still there.

There are  another 1 or 2 other versions of the Beo4, special hotel versions, if I'm right.

Silou
Top 150 Contributor
Switzerland
Posts 423
Bronze Member
Silou replied on Wed, Dec 4 2019 3:19 PM

StUrrock:

Beo 4 what an icon, in its day it was unbeatable.

The money they wasted on the development of the disastrous Beo5/6 (worst ergonomics EVER in an interface device) could have been put into refining the BEO4 into an even better version of the latest  beoremote 1. 

The Beo4 is dead, long live the Beo4!

I fully agree. BR1 display into a BEO4 will be the best choice with low development cost!

BR1 is not to bad but I prefer BEO4 !

Continuous press into arrows on BR1 sent always the same REPEAT code. Unfortunately Lintronic manage BR1 by the same way. All long press on arrow key will give you the same command. Angry

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,545
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Wed, Dec 4 2019 3:54 PM

I always enjoy the way the Beo4 feels in the hand, it's a satisfying weight and not too wide, with nice button pushes. Although doing certain things with it was kind of a byzantinely complex thing at times, you could do a lot with it. To me, a backlit version that had a stand for recharging it would have been a more useful thing than the Beo5/6.

Kind of the end of the old era I guess, sadly in many ways. I have wound up with 3 Beo5s and none of them work, or ever did, while my Beo4s soldier on. Also really loved the power of the transmitter, no having to precisely point it at the system and hope it sees the commands.

Jeff

oli
Not Ranked
Southeast of France
Posts 62
Bronze Member
oli replied on Wed, Dec 4 2019 4:48 PM

Same for me, using 2 Navi version in my home office and bedroom, and a Cinema version in the main room. I also have a BeoRemote1 which I simply hate, currently useless and stored in a drawer

Evan
Top 25 Contributor
Germany
Posts 3,593
Gold Member
Evan replied on Wed, Dec 4 2019 5:25 PM

Jeff:

I always enjoy the way the Beo4 feels in the hand, it's a satisfying weight and not too wide, with nice button pushes. Although doing certain things with it was kind of a byzantinely complex thing at times, you could do a lot with it. To me, a backlit version that had a stand for recharging it would have been a more useful thing than the Beo5/6.

Kind of the end of the old era I guess, sadly in many ways. I have wound up with 3 Beo5s and none of them work, or ever did, while my Beo4s soldier on. Also really loved the power of the transmitter, no having to precisely point it at the system and hope it sees the commands.

Completely agree with these remarks. The Beo4 really is the AK47 of remotes.. absolutely dependable and packed with performance. Just completely rock solid. Not only from the construction element but also the combination of functionality and performance (see IR power!).

Why do bad things happen to good great products?

Beo4 'til I die!

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,920
Founder
Peter replied on Thu, Dec 5 2019 8:04 PM

Beollink 1000 - to steal/paraphrase a line from a review of a Zenit camera, you can use it as a club at an Irish wedding and still be able to turn the music on for the last dance!

Peter

Page 1 of 1 (33 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL