Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Horizontal movement in tangential tonearm?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 2 Followers

yeahbut
Not Ranked
9 Posts
Bronze Member
yeahbut posted on Mon, Dec 2 2019 9:03 AM

Hi all,

Can anyone enlighten me as to how much horizontal movement in a tangential tonearm is too much?

Specifically the BG4500 and BG6000. I'm figuring some must be allowed for tracking less than perfect grooves, but it it only a few mm or more?

Thanks

Mark

All Replies

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
4,165 Posts
Bronze Member

I don't understand the basis of your question.  Horizontal movement of the tonearm is fundamental to their operation and the amount of movement is governed by the adjustment of the servo system.

The relevant adjustment is described in the service manuals which are available to silver or gold members of this website.

Regards Graham

JulianJ
Not Ranked
54 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Mark,

There is a small amount of 'swing' in the tonearm, in addition to the lateral movement. The 'swing' operates the small curtain/LDR in the main mechanism which in turn controls the speed of the tangential tracking.

From memory the 'swing' is only a few mm on my Beogram 3000, but it's along time since I repaired it.

I don't have a manual & would be grateful for a copy if anyone has one?

Details of 'my' repair can be found here https://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/5513.aspx?PageIndex=1

Kind regards

Julan

Maurice
Top 500 Contributor
101 Posts
Silver Member

Hi if your tone arm is starting to "do the splits" so to speak eg it will generally look parallel to the other arm give or take a couple of mm as it tracks across the record. Any more than this is a indicator that the Light Dependent Resistor is breaking down ie loosing its coating which would then bring up a excessive travel ( lateral pivoting of the tone arm. it's repairable but a very delicate job. 

Regards 

yeahbut
Not Ranked
9 Posts
Bronze Member

Thank you all for your replies.

I think the tone arm was rattling around doing it's own thing during transport to me, when parked, there is probably 10mm or so of swing in this one, which seems erroneous to me, but I am certainly willing to be corrected.

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
4,165 Posts
Bronze Member

That doesn't seem excessive to me, probably about normal.  When tracking across a playing record you should see only a couple of mm maximum movement to the left before the servo operates and the whole carriage moves to the left.  It should appear to be a smooth progress across the record.

Regards Graham

yeahbut
Not Ranked
9 Posts
Bronze Member

Good to know thanks, I was not sure. :)

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL