Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Which is more reliable: BL 9 or BL 5 or BL x?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 10 Replies | 2 Followers

BeoFrederic
Top 500 Contributor
95 Posts
Gold Member
BeoFrederic posted on Tue, Nov 26 2019 10:06 PM

I have a pair of BL 8000 acquired in the very early '90s.  Used as front speakers attached to an AVR for both home theater and serious audio listening. Love 'em to death, but it may be time to upgrade.  

I live in the U.S.,many  hundreds of miles from any B&O support.  The current crop of BLs (18/20/50) don't visually appeal. and, expense aside, not all that reliable from what I read here.  It's not feasible for me to buy from a distant dealer, then ship the big, heavy, speakers if problems.

So: I could upgrade to BL 9, or BL 5, or...?  I'll have to purchase from the used market, and again take my chances on repairs & reliability.  

I gather that a subwoofer isn't needed with 9s or 5s, so thats's to the plus side.

Thoughts on the smartest purchase? 

All Replies

h1npw
Top 75 Contributor
West Bridgford, Nottingham.
1,090 Posts
Founder
h1npw replied on Tue, Nov 26 2019 11:05 PM

Hi 

I swapped 8000’s  + 2, for my 9s and have never regretted it. Massive improvement in sound quality & a fraction of the the price of 5s. Relatability good, although having researched extensively, I bought a pair of spare tweeters at the same time... just in case 

Cheers

Nigel

h1npw
Top 75 Contributor
West Bridgford, Nottingham.
1,090 Posts
Founder
h1npw replied on Tue, Nov 26 2019 11:09 PM

Or even reliability........

James1980
Not Ranked
35 Posts
Bronze Member

I have no experience with BL5 at all, my BL9’s are 9 years old now and never skipped a beat. I also dont recall seeing any posts on here about problems with 9’s, have definitely seen some about chassis issues with 5’s though. 

Beovision 10, Beoplay V1, Beolab 9, Beolab 4,  Beosound 2, Beosound Moment , Beoplay M3, Beogram 1700

James1980
Not Ranked
35 Posts
Bronze Member

I have no experience with BL5 at all, my BL9’s are 9 years old now and never skipped a beat. I also dont recall seeing any posts on here about problems with 9’s, have definitely seen some about chassis issues with 5’s though. 

Beovision 10, Beoplay V1, Beolab 9, Beolab 4,  Beosound 2, Beosound Moment , Beoplay M3, Beogram 1700

kawo
Not Ranked
21 Posts
Bronze Member
kawo replied on Wed, Nov 27 2019 10:02 PM

For what ever reason you have to ship the speakers for service BL5 are much more difficult to handle. Just moved house and was able to get the original packaging from B&O. This is massive! 

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,540 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Wed, Nov 27 2019 10:12 PM

James1980:

I've had my 9's for about 6 years, same thing. No issues. I've read about some people finding the tweeters fragile but I've not experienced it. I've read here about numerous people with BL5's that have issues. I do love the look and bass performance of the BL5s, but other than that I find the BL9s to be very competitive in everything but deep bass. I also have the feeling I would be able to find someone to repair BL9s analog circuitry at the board level more easily than the 5's or other Beolabs using DSP that are software driven.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Mikipidia
Top 100 Contributor
951 Posts
Gold Member
Had both my 18’s, 1’s and 2 from launch and had no issues what so ever. Still have the 18’s and they’re flawless

New: Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beovision eclipse, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound 1 Bronze edition, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1.

Mikipedia on YouTube (finally Stick out tongue )

https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Old: Beolab 1's, beolab 2, beovision 10-46, overture 2300, beolab 8000's, beolab 4000's, beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

BeoFrederic
Top 500 Contributor
95 Posts
Gold Member

Thank, all, for your advice.

Mikipidia:
Had both my 18’s, 1’s and 2 from launch and had no issues what so ever. Still have the 18’s and they’re flawless

I hadn’t considered the 18s - or the 20s, for that matter.  You rarely hear much about the 20s.  I’m leery of B&O products that require software.

Regarding your 18s, do you need/use a subwoofer with them?

Mikipidia
Top 100 Contributor
951 Posts
Gold Member

I wouldn't say that you need one, but as you can imagine it does make it somewhat better, more punchy mostly. I am happy to listen to them by themselves but it can really rather depend on your space and on how loud you like to listen to them. So what kind of room would they be in, how big, and do you blast music or are you a more sort of background music person?

New: Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beovision eclipse, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound 1 Bronze edition, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1.

Mikipedia on YouTube (finally Stick out tongue )

https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Old: Beolab 1's, beolab 2, beovision 10-46, overture 2300, beolab 8000's, beolab 4000's, beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

jc
Not Ranked
61 Posts
Bronze Member
jc replied on Thu, Dec 5 2019 7:27 AM

BeoFrederic:

I hadn’t considered the 18s - or the 20s, for that matter.  You rarely hear much about the 20s.  I’m leery of B&O products that require software.

I've had the 20's for 3,5 years now and would definitely recommend them for sound quality (they sound magnificent), but NOT if your dealer is far away. I've had to return mine to the dealer twice for technical issues.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL