Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 28 Replies | 0 Followers

All Replies

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,539 Posts
Bronze Member

Sad story!

How does that affect the STBbrackets part of Gavins business?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
2,429 Posts
Gold Member
Duels replied on Tue, Nov 26 2019 9:48 AM
Oh no another one gone near me.

Now my options are Manchester (50 miles away) and Derby (35 miles). Although I’m sure that sounds pretty good to our US friends.
joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
4,180 Posts
Bronze Member

It's nothing to do with Brexit.  B&O and their retailers have had their heads buried in the sand (or up their ars.s) for years.

Their offerings have become more and more extreme in terms of aesthetics and price, the public are no longer taken in by them.

Someone should put them out of their misery!

Regards Graham

matador43
Top 100 Contributor
1,051 Posts
Bronze Member

I agree, even if I would have said it differently…

The brexit is all around and may have some influence consumer's mood But as said in the article, it's also new ways of shopping (check in store, buy discounted online, just read some threads about the A1 price on Amazon…), Interstellar prices in times where quality matters less and less or is even ignored and also the dramatic increase of threads or articles about B&O software just not working.

I also have to say as I did in the past, the behavior of some sellers who dont even understand the brand their selling and just see the profit of a 3000€ BT speaker, without knowing it better than anyone reading the specs. Which is unacceptable to historical clients who may likely be those willing to still invest in the brand.

I was sunday in the big stores in paris and there was that popup store with an impressive lineup of product. there was a little desk with a brochure: a pink gift guide featuring all the current offer. I asked if I could take one. Answer: No its only for those who buy (not "clients", "those who buy"!). Sorry but if I buy something I dont need the brochure but if i can quietly read the brochure maybe i come back and buy something? Same answer: "those who buy"!

After the typical datamining exercice, He pointed me to a store at the other end of Paris, store that i knew very well from top to bottom since its the one who closed some month ago and was selling all this stuff on classified ads…

Unfortunately my point of view may be isolated and useless: the two sellers on the corner were (loudly) discussing how many A9 they sold in that day (a lot)…

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,539 Posts
Bronze Member

@matodor43

You have a point there (with your story of that Paris shop).

But how can one deal with that problem?

I am sure that is a hot topic in the HQ in Struer.

But sad, sad, sad that shops like Gavins in Lincoln have to suffer under it.

MM

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
12,158 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Tue, Nov 26 2019 11:30 AM

Most young people see no problem.
They tap on a screen, write to the seller two hours later impatiently asking when the thing will arrive, and when it arrives it will not be working as stated.
Not really surprised they will return the thing for repair/replace, and when it comes back three weeks later it will be outdated, only supporting last months standards, which of course is of no use anylonger.
- Not that it matters, really, 'cause the buyer has already ordered something else.

Us, the older ones, who can still remember how good the things we bought and the service provided was, are left speechless and dissatisfied.
We want more from the product - we expect it to work for a start - and we expect more service, preferably a dialogue with a real human.
For us, it's always nice to see the product, play with it, touch, feel, listen, pay and bring the magic home.
And we're ready to pay for something that will work and last for decades.
But we're dying out. No longer enough of us around to justify product qualities or service levels like that.

Martin

matador43
Top 100 Contributor
1,051 Posts
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

You have a point there (with your story of that Paris shop).

But how can one deal with that problem?

To me it's on B&O management and their resellers education. It did happen the same with a watch brand i know well: they decide to rise their prices to become a "luxury" brand and start to sell new watches. but when an historical client enters the shop with a classic historical model, they weren't even able to recognize it. And the client felt like if it had a piece of junk to the wrist to the point where he had to have it serviced by the next door (passionate) watchmaker (which happened to be a not so bad thing after all).

So B&O should maybe invest in education, make the resellers real partners, and controlling (check) the rules are respected. The brochure incident is a good illustration, you can't sell premium things and just say "go on my website to check the specs". Well, Tesla did :-)

But of course it's sad for that shop.

matador43
Top 100 Contributor
1,051 Posts
Bronze Member

Dillen:

Most young people see no problem.
They tap on a screen, write to the seller two hours later impatiently asking when the thing will arrive, and when it arrives it will not be working as stated.
Not really surprised they will return the thing for repair/replace, and when it comes back three weeks later it will be outdated, only supporting last months standards, which of course is of no use anylonger.
- Not that it matters, really, 'cause the buyer has already ordered something else.

True. And in the case of that specific corner very rich foreign clients.

Dillen:

But we're dying out. No longer enough of us around to justify product qualities or service levels like that.

Martin

Even more true, we're an endangered species.

Gavin Sykes - STBbrackets
Not Ranked
Lincoln England
12 Posts
Gold Member

STBbrackets is still the reason I wake up in the Morning and will be the reason for many years to come!

For clarity here........... STB has a legal agreement with Bang & Olufsen, I can't go into a lot of detail here, but this is the important part. They kindly give us access to models and mechanical samples at least 6 months prior to new product launch and we submit all of our designs for approval. Everything STB makes is approved in Struer.

The product design team might ask us to modify solutions that they don't like or that are away from brand values - we are delighted to take this input. Generally we create what is needed from our knowledge of the market, but we enjoy very healthy relationships with the dealers who give us feedback. Sometimes Struer will come to us and ask us to work on a project for general use or for special projects. We are lucky that the guys in Struer are extremely accommodating and always willing to help us. 

The decorative aluminium on our brackets is made in Struer by Bang & Olufsen a/s, which is how we are able to deliver aesthtic quality consitant with the brand we serve.

Does that cover it ;-)   

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
489 Posts
Bronze Member

joeyboygolf:

It's nothing to do with Brexit.  B&O and their retailers have had their heads buried in the sand (or up their ars.s) for years.

Their offerings have become more and more extreme in terms of aesthetics and price, the public are no longer taken in by them.

Someone should put them out of their misery!

Agree. With Lincolnshire having the second most Euro-skeptic stance in the country. 66% Leave

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,211 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Tue, Nov 26 2019 2:00 PM

joeyboygolf:

It's nothing to do with Brexit. 

I think Brexiteers like to tell us it's 'nothing to do with Brexit'. Well here's my theory from running online stores:

1) The GBP is terrible. This means buying products priced in EUR or DKK will be far worse than in 2016. ie. profit margin far lower. Back in early 2016 you could almost get 10DKK to 1GBP. It's been as low as 8DKK recently. EUR is even worse. Believe me, when running a business, this affects the bottom line. You must be incredibly naive to think it doesn't. And over time, this can't be sustained.

2) People are wary of the future. As a result, they aren't spending the big bucks so easily as they once were. It's hesitancy. This will affect a business selling luxury items within the UK.

So, yes, saying Brexit (or the causes of this) is an issue, is true. It's not just a headline for headline sake. 

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
2,429 Posts
Gold Member
Duels replied on Tue, Nov 26 2019 2:09 PM
moxxey:

I think Brexiteers like to tell us it's 'nothing to do with Brexit'. Well here's my theory from running online stores:

1) The GBP is terrible. This means buying products priced in EUR or DKK will be far worse than in 2016. ie. profit margin far lower. Back in early 2016 you could almost get 10DKK to 1GBP. It's been as low as 8DKK recently. EUR is even worse. Believe me, when running a business, this affects the bottom line. You must be incredibly naive to think it doesn't. And over time, this can't be sustained.

2) People are wary of the future. As a result, they aren't spending the big bucks so easily as they once were. It's hesitancy. This will affect a business selling luxury items within the UK.

So, yes, saying Brexit (or the causes of this) is an issue, is true. It's not just a headline for headline sake.

I have to say I agree with this.

And at the end of the day an experienced retailer like Mr Sykes should know whether it has affected his business or not.
355f
Top 500 Contributor
cambridge/london
85 Posts
Bronze Member
355f replied on Tue, Nov 26 2019 3:40 PM

It doesn't help with endless stories like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqfEsY17lj0

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,539 Posts
Bronze Member

355f:

It doesn't help with endless stories like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqfEsY17lj0

Just to let you know - Miki’s problem is solved!

Maybe he should edit his comments on the video.

MM

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL