BeoSound 3000 radio issue

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 1 Follower

bangjan
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member
bangjan posted on Fri, Nov 22 2019 10:44 AM

I've recently become the proud owner of my first B&O bit of kit - and very nice it is too!

I've connected the BeoSound 3000 via my old amplifier and the CD function works perfectly. However I can't get the radio to work at all. 

When I press the "Radio" button, on the unit, nothing happens. If I press "Aux", the display shows "Aux". If I press "CD" it displays "CD". If I press "Radio" nothing happens. It continues as before and I cant pick up any radio stations (I've connected an FM aerial).

Also when trying to adjust the clock, I can change the time by pressing "Clock" and up and down arrows. However "Play" does not show the date or year. Pressing "Store" does not save the time settings.

I don't have a remote control. I'm not sure if that's relevant?

Am I doing something wrong?

Many thanks!

All Replies

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
1,945 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Fri, Nov 22 2019 11:42 AM

Quite possibly you have a faulty control panel - the symptoms are similar to that I experienced on my BC2300 a few years back.  B&O used to sell a kit to replace the connectors inside the panel, but it's quite a complex DIY procedure.  I can dig out the part number if you want to give it a try.

Otherwise, simply get hold of a remote Beo4 or BL1000 and use that instead.

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
1,945 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Fri, Nov 22 2019 11:45 AM

I forgot that I took a picture of the repair kit info sheet (with part numbers etc) - see below:

(PS: I also forgot to say 'Welcome to Beoworld!)

bangjan
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks Guy for the speedy response. 

I've checked further and find that some of the other buttons also don't work.

ie all buttons work except for:

replay, a>>b,

Play, >>,

Tune, store, delete

4, 9, CD-all, ^, Radio

on/off, Mute, v

Does this also indicate a problem with the control panel? Can the panel be fixed, rather than replaced?

I'll see if I can get hold of a remote - but they don't look cheap!

Thanks again

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
1,945 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Fri, Nov 22 2019 7:04 PM

The kit that I referenced above is to 'fix' rather than replace the control panel - it cost me about £25 and took about an hour to fit.  It is basically a new 'dome foil' - the plastic contact piece that translates movement of the rubber buttons into electrical connections.  You don't get new rubber buttons.  It is slightly complicated to fit because you have to use a sharp knife to cut of plastic 'welds' and replace them with small screws (these also come in the kit).

From the symptoms that you describe I am 99% sure that it is the control panel at fault.  If the system works fine with a remote, then I would say 100%!

I am not sure where you live, but here in UK on eBay you can generally pick up working Beolink 1000 remotes for about £20, with the more modern Beo4 from £30 upwards.

bangjan
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member

Guy,

That's very useful thanks.

The unit I have looks to be in excellent order with no visible damage to the rubber buttons. 

I'll try and borrow a remote control to confirm that the unit is working, before I proceed to getting the repair kit for the control panel.

Where does one get the repair kits from? I'm based in London, UK. 

Thanks again for your very useful info!

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
1,945 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Fri, Nov 22 2019 9:20 PM

I purchased the kit from here: https://www.avaservices.co.uk/

Hopefully they still sell it. They could probably also fix it for you. 

bangjan
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member

OK, so I've borrowed a Beo 4 remote and after configuring the Beosound 3000 to Option 1, I've got it to control the unit.

However I can't work out how to programme the radio stations, using just the remote control. Is this possible? (I can't programme it using the buttons on the Beosound, as some buttons are not functioning.)

Similarly how do I set the time, using just the remote control?

Many thanks!

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
1,945 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sat, Dec 7 2019 9:40 AM

Hi again!  I am glad that it works with the Beo4 - that would seems to suggest that the panel is indeed faulty.

I am not sure if you can programme radio stations or set the clock using the Beo4, but if it were possible you would probably have to add both the CLOCK and the TUNE functions to the Beo4's LIST button.

To do so: 

- On the Beo4, press Power (Red Dot) and LIST together, the display should read ADD?

- Press GO.

- Press LIST until the display shows (eg) TUNE, then GO.

- TUNE should then be listed under LIST.  Press LIST until it shows, then use GO to initiate.

Repeat the above procedure for the CLOCK function, and then have a play to see if you can do what is required.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL