Beo4 remote broken? :-(

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 0 Followers

KZ00
Not Ranked
2 Posts
Bronze Member
KZ00 posted on Sat, Nov 16 2019 4:31 PM

After years of trouble-free use, my Beo4 remote suddenly stopped functioning properly. The LCD display and IR "blaster" still work fine, but most of the buttons stopped responding* ( new batteries didn't help either ). Only the buttons marked with a green dot still function.

*I used a digital camera to double-check that all unresponsive buttons didn't send out any IR signal.

Does anyone have any idea what could have gone wrong? And if so, would this be something i could potentially repair myself?

Thanks!

All Replies

marexy
Top 150 Contributor
Slovenia
561 Posts
Silver Member
marexy replied on Sat, Nov 16 2019 5:13 PM

hi

You should buy new inside keypad foil,  or clean inside keypad foil contacts at the end.

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
1,635 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sat, Nov 16 2019 5:58 PM

As above the buttons that have fail;ed indicate a fault on the 'C4' group. 

If you're happy to take it apart there's a small metal clip that connects the foil to the PCB - this can sometimes come misaligned and cause the above fault, but it's possibly a broken track on the foil itself.

I've replaced several and it's quite straightforward - you can see the part number in this photo:

(EDIT:  I usually buy them from here: https://www.avaservices.co.uk/)

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
1,635 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sat, Nov 16 2019 6:04 PM

And here's a useful thread about taking Beo4s apart - it's written for screen replacement but the dome foil replacement will be just as straightforward.

https://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/21827/180453.aspx#180453

KZ00
Not Ranked
2 Posts
Bronze Member
KZ00 replied on Tue, Nov 19 2019 5:02 PM

Thanks for all the replies!

I took apart the remote today and first thought that the bottom part of the PCB had snapped off completely ... before realizing that is by design Embarrassed

Anyway, not exactly sure what the "small metal clip" Guy is referring to, but i suspect it's this part?

Not exactly sure where to go from here though ... i guess it wouldn't hurt to clean the contacts with some isopropyl?

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
1,635 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Tue, Nov 19 2019 5:26 PM

Yes that's the clip - quite easy to slide off (downwards) and replace.

Before you do so, have a good look at the traces on the plastic dome foil - there may be an obvious visible break in which case it needs replacement.

Otherwise, try unclipping the dome foil from the PCB and then clean gently - I think isopropyl will be fine.  Then replace, making sure that the contacts on the dome foil line up with those on the PCB - the holes assist with this but there is still room for error.  The metal clip is just there to apply pressure, rather than provide electrical contact.

I have had success in the past by removing and reassembling a few times, but if you have no luck then I would replace the dome foil.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL