Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Beovision Eclipse + using Beolab 20 for 5.1 surround?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 2 Followers

sgtaylor
Not Ranked
3 Posts
Bronze Member
sgtaylor posted on Sun, Nov 10 2019 7:28 AM

Hello,

I’ve recently ordered a Beovision Eclipse 55″ and a pair of Beolab 20’s from my local dealer.

The idea is to use the 20s as the surround speakers of a 5.1 setup, or using them for music only when wanted.

Due to the configuration of my room, with the eclipse going to be installed on a wall where to the far left is a fire place and the far right a double door, I don’t have the option of placing side front speakers sufficiently far enough apart to warrant their purchase. But after having heard the colossal sound of the Eclipse at my dealer, I wasn’t too worried about this. For the rear speakers, I chose the 20s because I quite like the look, the power seems more than adequate for the size of my room, and music sounds great. Plus my wife didn’t mind me getting them!

I do, however, have two issues that concern me about my choice, and I wonder if anyone has any experience of this setup and could advise me:

1) when my dealer does the install, will calibration be able to compensate the difference in power, the 20s being used as surround speakers being more powerful than the Eclipse SoundCenter?

2) will the 5.1 decoder of the Eclipse channel the bass through the 20s woofers if they are setup as surround speakers in the speaker group? Adding a dedicated subwoofer such as a 19 seems quite pointless with 20s at hand…

Many thanks,

ST

All Replies

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,939 Posts
Bronze Member

Congrats on your setup!

I can say ‘yes’ to both of your questions.....if your dealer/the technician will do a proper job, when installing.

You can learn more on this reading one of the technical sound guides:

https://www.bang-olufsen.com/~/mediaV3/files/user-guides/BeoVision-Horizon/Technical-Sound-Guide-1409.pdf

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,586 Posts
Gold Member
Yes

Yes.

I also back a few years now purchased a BV Avant 55 and I used the three speakers of the Avant as my Front right , centre and left without any additional front speakers as I didn’t have the room either.

I used BL18s as rears

The eclipse is a way better speaker in my opinion. It was certainly stronger when I heard it when it was released.

You can set up a speaker group for your 20s to be front left and right for music and even if they are at the rear of the room.

Let us know how you go on install day.

sgtaylor
Not Ranked
3 Posts
Bronze Member

Thank you for your replies.

I suspected it would be the case, just needed confirmation. The dealer looked quite intrigued by the setup actually, as it doesn't seam that an Eclipse backed up by 20's in the rear are common at all. Which means he couldn't confirm that they had already tried that combo.

The install is for in a while though. I asked my dealer to install on the 26th of December (not a day off in Belgium) as it's a Christmas present from me to me! It will be easier to explain to my 3yo daughter than if they install in November for Christmas...

45 longs days to go! I will post how it goes after.

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,586 Posts
Gold Member

Hi SG,

How did you go with your set up ?

Are you happy with the 20s? 

Would be good to see how it looks if you're willing to show

Thanks

MH

driehoek
Not Ranked
37 Posts
Bronze Member

@sgtaylor, do you have feedback how the setup with eclips and the beolabs 20 in the left/right surround role?

I have just bought a new eclipse to replace my V1 and I am wondering how to best set up my beolabs? Any advice from anybody at beoworld?

I have beoloab 19 and 2x beolab 3s. Which set up you you go. I am not sure how good the soundcenter is as a full 3 channel front system?

Option 1 -> 3.1 setup
Eclise soundcenter only for front spealer and Beolab 3 set as FRONT left /right (they are on wall bracket 2m apart only, no room for more space due to windows). Beolab 19 via WISA as sub

Option 2 -> 5.1 setup
Ecplise soundcenter as F L / C / FR speaker roles and BeoLab 3 as surround LEFT/RIGHT in the back. Beolab 19 via WISA as sub

I know the best answer is to buy two additional speakers, but budget has gone to eclipse now and I am waiting for follow up of Beolab 17.

Which option would you choose?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,939 Posts
Bronze Member

I’d definitely aim at the option 2.

However, it depends on you listening preferences.

You are as of now used to the BL3/BL19 for music listening - but the Eclipse/the Sound Center with the BL19 can do a damn good job (rightly calibrated) for music.....so the best thing you can do is to test it out, once you have the Eclipse (there are plenty of Speaker Groups to play with).

It also depends on how long you would be willing to wait for ‘something new to come’ as surround speakers....maybe it is worth letting the 3’ stay as fronts, now that they are wall mounted.

A set of the BL4’s or even the BL6000/2’s would do a nice job there - and they could be tied in with the Receiver 1’s for a wireless setup.

You probably have no possibility/or don’t want to make a PL-cabling for surround speakers (?)

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

quader
Top 500 Contributor
104 Posts
Bronze Member
quader replied on Thu, Dec 31 2020 12:00 PM

Hello

I have a pair of Beolab 8000 as front and rear speakers connected to the eclipse and it works really well for me

pay of Beolab 4000's and a ceiling centre speaker in a 7 speaker setup when watching on a projector on a different wall to the tv

by changing speaker roles this also works well only thing missing is a subwoofer but not decided wether this is needed or not

enjoy the eclipse 

Dyssegaard
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen, Denmark
234 Posts
Silver Member
driehoek:

@sgtaylor, do you have feedback how the setup with eclips and the beolabs 20 in the left/right surround role?

I have just bought a new eclipse to replace my V1 and I am wondering how to best set up my beolabs? Any advice from anybody at beoworld?

I have beoloab 19 and 2x beolab 3s. Which set up you you go. I am not sure how good the soundcenter is as a full 3 channel front system?

Option 1 -> 3.1 setup Eclise soundcenter only for front spealer and Beolab 3 set as FRONT left /right (they are on wall bracket 2m apart only, no room for more space due to windows). Beolab 19 via WISA as sub

Option 2 -> 5.1 setup Ecplise soundcenter as F L / C / FR speaker roles and BeoLab 3 as surround LEFT/RIGHT in the back. Beolab 19 via WISA as sub

I know the best answer is to buy two additional speakers, but budget has gone to eclipse now and I am waiting for follow up of Beolab 17.

Which option would you choose?

My current setup is equal to your option 2, except for the sub where I have a Beolab 2. The Beolab 3’s and the Beolab 2 are connected via Wisa and 3 TR1’s to the Eclipse.

When I got the Eclipse earlier this year, I also had 2 Beolab 8000, and I had planned to use them as front L/R. However the installer of the Eclipse suggested, that I should send them on retirement and use the Eclipse soundcenter as in your option 2.

The sound is so much better without the 8000 compared to my previous setup with my old BV11 as center and the 8000 as front L/R. Sub and surround is unchanged from previous setup Big Smile.

PS: My 2 good old Beolab 8000 have started their 2nd life in the basement of my sons house connected to an old Sony tv Big Smile.

Best regards - Dyssegaard

Living room: Beovision Eclipse 55, Beolab 3 / R1 (back), Beolab 2 / R1 (sub), AppleTV 4K. Bedroom: Beovision 11-40, AppleTV 4. Home office: Beoplay M5. Kitchen: Beoplay M5. Travel: Beoplay H8, Beoplay A1. NAS: WD My Cloud Home / Plex DLNA Server.

driehoek
Not Ranked
37 Posts
Bronze Member

Thank you all for the advice. I might go for the 7.1 set up at the back.

I have one NL cable running from TV position in the wall to the back of the room. I have a NL to PL convertor, currently already in use for the V1.

Will i be able to split NL to 2x PL for the two speakers? Can i have both channels over the same Cat 6 cable and split later or do i need to work with transmitter for wireless sending wisa to ine of the BL3 and use the cable for the other?

I thought i read somewhere that two channels could be send over 1 NL but how can I select right speaker role if they are over 1 line?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL