rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 20 Replies | 0 Followers

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
4,854 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey posted on Sat, Nov 9 2019 6:31 AM

Woken up this morning to turn on my BV12-65 to find I can see nothing but a dark grey picture (or complete lack of picture).

Bizarrely I can here the sound of the TV, so the BS3 is working. Tried switching to the Apple TV, no picture there either.

Worse, I can't even see the TV menus, so can't admin from the remote or anything. Screen just appears utterly broken?

Any ideas?

All Replies

Sandyb
Top 75 Contributor
1,472 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey:

Woken up this morning to turn on my BV12-65 to find I can see nothing but a dark grey picture (or complete lack of picture).

Bizarrely I can here the sound of the TV, so the BS3 is working. Tried switching to the Apple TV, no picture there either.

Worse, I can't even see the TV menus, so can't admin from the remote or anything. Screen just appears utterly broken?

Any ideas?

Unplug the actual screen from the power.

Give it a few minutes, plug back in.

Very occasionally this has happened- the screen didn’t go into standby the previous night properly.

Let me know how you get on
moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
4,854 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Sat, Nov 9 2019 10:06 AM

Sandyb:

Very occasionally this has happened- the screen didn’t go into standby the previous night properly.

Sadly no difference Sandy. Turned the entire TV off (mains power) for 10 minutes! Still an all-black screen. I can hear the audio though.

The worry is, I don't see the TV menus either. You should see those?

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
7,074 Posts
Founder
9 LEE replied on Sat, Nov 9 2019 12:12 PM

Plug the BeoSystem 3 or 4 into a TV and test it?  At least that isolates the issue to the panel.

Does it 'glow' as if it's showing a blank screen (room needs to be dark)?  If so, it's at least powering up...

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
4,854 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Sat, Nov 9 2019 12:23 PM

9 LEE:

Plug the BeoSystem 3 or 4 into a TV and test it?  At least that isolates the issue to the panel.

Yes it does. I have a BV11-46 in the other room, powered by the same BeoSystem 3, and it works fine (shows a picture and so on). Don't forget though, the BV12-65 won't show a picture from the Apple TV either, so that made me think it's the panel.

9 LEE:

Does it 'glow' as if it's showing a blank screen (room needs to be dark)?  If so, it's at least powering up...

Sort of glows, yes. When I first turned it on at 7am this morning, in a much darker room, the panel looked mid-grey. Now it looks black.

I've turned the power off, unplugged the power cable on the BV12-65, removed the display cable and reconnected, nothing. I can hear audio, but no picture at all. No curtains either.

So strange. Was only watching TV last night, woke up this morning and the panel looks 'dead'.

w5bno123
Top 150 Contributor
London
534 Posts
Bronze Member
Hi Moxxey

It could be one of five things. I can’t recall but does the PDP make a clicking noise normally when it switches on the you hear the fans kick in? The RS232 cable communication could have failed, this switches on/off the panel. I would call Paul Davey the certified B&O service agent, he’s based near Bristol and would be able to identify the real fault. He should have a NN remote to be able to switch on/off the panel without needing a BS3, there’s also a sw tool that bypasses the BS3 via a laptop.

When you power down the panel please leave it for 5 minutes to allow it to discharge fully.

Good luck.

Stuart
moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
4,854 Posts
Bronze Member

w5bno123:
Hi Moxxey

It could be one of five things. I can’t recall but does the PDP make a clicking noise normally when it switches on the you hear the fans kick in?

Sadly, almost no noticeable change on startup. No additional noises or fans. It starts up, speakers kick in as usual (ie. you can hear those 'click' in) and then, no curtain. It's almost as if that part has failed. I can hear TV (or Apple TV), but can't see anything.

Wondered if it could be the display cable and worth replacing this?

w5bno123:

The RS232 cable communication could have failed, this switches on/off the panel. I would call Paul Davey the certified B&O service agent

Thanks, I'll see if I can Google search for him? I can find him on LinkedIn. Not close though - Exeter! I'm in Bath.

w5bno123:

When you power down the panel please leave it for 5 minutes to allow it to discharge fully.

I tried this. I left it off for a good 15 minutes and made no difference.

w5bno123
Top 150 Contributor
London
534 Posts
Bronze Member
There could be a fault on the control PCB992 which connects the RS232 cable to BS3. I used to see this on our old BV4 65 so I’d use the service remote to kick start the screen and then it would behave again. Is your RS232 cable accessible? Send me an email to ealing@bang-olufsen.co.uk and I will forward you Paul’s details. In fact Dave Clarke in Southampton is closer.
moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
4,854 Posts
Bronze Member

w5bno123:
There could be a fault on the control PCB992 which connects the RS232 cable to BS3. I used to see this on our old BV4 65 so I’d use the service remote to kick start the screen and then it would behave again. Is your RS232 cable accessible? Send me an email to ealing@bang-olufsen.co.uk and I will forward you Paul’s details. In fact Dave Clarke in Southampton is closer.

Thanks. Will do. I know Dave - he used to do the Bath B&O installation!

355f
Not Ranked
37 Posts
Bronze Member
355f replied on Thu, Nov 14 2019 7:01 PM

hi Mox

Did you resolve this issue

355f
Not Ranked
37 Posts
Bronze Member
355f replied on Thu, Nov 14 2019 7:01 PM

hi Mox

Did you resolve this issue

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
4,854 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Sun, Nov 17 2019 3:09 PM

9 LEE:

This is still ongoing, but managed to get a HDMI cable long enough to reach from the BV11-46 in the other room to the BS3 and it doesn't result in a picture on the BV11-46, which means it's likely to be a BeoSystem 3 issue?

I also tried connecting the BV12-65 direct to the back of the Sky HD box, but no picture (but not sure if the BV12-65 can receive a picture from its HDMI direct from the back of a Sky box?).

How easy is it to get a replacement BeoSystem 3?

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,516 Posts
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Nov 17 2019 3:20 PM

I thought the BV12 used the Beosystem 4 not 3? Anyway, over this side of the pond Beosystem 3s are on eBay a lot, usually at around $1,000 or a tad more.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
4,854 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Sun, Nov 17 2019 5:00 PM

Jeff:

I thought the BV12 used the Beosystem 4 not 3? Anyway, over this side of the pond Beosystem 3s are on eBay a lot, usually at around $1,000 or a tad more.

MK-1's used a BS3. And that's way too expensive for a very old device controller :) I'd save the $1000 towards an LG OLED 65" C9 which is, erm, $1000 more? https://www.amazon.com/LG-OLED65C9PUA-Alexa-Built-Ultra/dp/B07NHQ4CXM/

Get a Stage, keep my Beo Remote, get a large van, drive the BV12-65 off a cliff and, Bob's yer uncle! No, he really is...

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,516 Posts
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Nov 17 2019 5:17 PM

Hey, my only uncle was named Bob!

I guess viewed thru the cold lens of value, a grand for a Beosystem 3 might not be as good an investment as a new OLED set. Only makes sense if you're system is an integrated B&O one and you want that, a full Beolab based surround setup, as opposed to a Stage soundbar. Eventually you'll be forced to make the decision to abandon it I guess, or go full tilt with an Ecilpse or such, an expensive proposition.

I guess I've avoided merging my AV and stereo setups for that reason, I don't want to tie myself to B&O due to cost and reliability reasons for my AV setup. My stereo is pretty stable as is and I'm happy with my B&O setup. I could get a Beosystem 3 and a center Beolab, but what happens when it breaks?

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL