Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 61 Replies | 1 Follower

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
581 Posts
Bronze Member
Emil Jensen posted on Thu, Oct 17 2019 6:47 AM

Hallo everyone,

I have just visit my dealer who had received the two new hopefully big sellers.

Have you seen it yet, and what is your opinion.

Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1 Google assist, Beoplay M3, Beoplay H6, Beoplay Earset 

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
688 Posts
Bronze Member

If you want to use the Stage in place of Beolabs, why not use Line-in?  The older master equipment AUX port is both in and out (at least my BS9000 is) to support tape-decks.  Otherwise, I bet Steve / Sounds Heavenly has a cable that will do this.

All Replies

Top 200 Contributor
388 Posts
Bronze Member
1990 replied on Tue, Oct 22 2019 12:45 PM

The PL connection wouldn’t cost much, but the more complex sound processing needed would make the product much more expensive. And I guess they have another product with PL in the pipeline, albeit at a very different price point.

James
Not Ranked
Melbourne
46 Posts
Bronze Member
James replied on Tue, Oct 22 2019 12:57 PM
Agree that the Stage is very impressive. Power and projection are way ahead of any competitor at any price point that I have otherwise heard. Think it would be very sufficient in a small to medium lounge where surround or floor standing speakers would be difficult to place. As for the TV, I saw it plugged into a Beolab 90/50 surround sound setup and the whole thing was breathtaking, but so it should be for $200,000AU. I just can’t take the step from what is a impressive $6K OLED panel to something more than 5 times the price because it has fancy moving speakers. B&O history in software support for their TVs also leaves me cold although I would anticipate that this is less of a risk with LG backup.
js
Top 200 Contributor
379 Posts
Bronze Member
js replied on Tue, Oct 22 2019 6:29 PM

1990:

The PL connection wouldn’t cost much, but the more complex sound processing needed would make the product much more expensive.

Thanks for your feedback.

Just for my understanding, which additional expensive sound processing would be required for a PowerLink connection, compared to the existing audio connections (Line-in, Bluetooth, Airplay)?

Anyway, there must be a reason (cost, marketing positioning, fear of cannibalisation of the less expensive Beolabs, who knows...), but I find it a missed opportunity for the users to have deprived the Stage from the option to be used as a Beolab (and the same for the A9 by the way).

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
688 Posts
Bronze Member

If you want to use the Stage in place of Beolabs, why not use Line-in?  The older master equipment AUX port is both in and out (at least my BS9000 is) to support tape-decks.  Otherwise, I bet Steve / Sounds Heavenly has a cable that will do this.

Mikipidia
Top 75 Contributor
1,584 Posts
Gold Member

the delay is something like 60ms or 20 meters in distance. so unless your avr can compensate for that amount of distance, your center channel will always be waaaay late.

@js

pl ports aren't just plug and play, the stage would then need to know where the speaker is and what it's role is. so lets say you ad a bl18 as a right channel, the stage would then need to figure out if the right channel of the stage needs to be off or also play the center channel, or in other cases you could leave the right side of the stage in right channel but in a lot of instances it would cause an echo so you atleast need the option of what to choose to do with either channel. this is all before you even get to the mixing and distribution of the audio signals, so there is more than just a little port addition to do and it basically would need the trueimage processor and a bunch more software. by my estimation and knowing roughly what the parts cost in the eclipse for that job, it would not only make the stage larger but also about 2000 euro more. The only way I can see them doing it ''on the cheap'' is to ad 2 possibly 3 dedicated ports for left/right surround and a subwoofer channel, but that would also ad additional cost, my guess is roughly 500 euro. even so it becomes too expensive too, not to mention a fully fledged stage would basically make beovisions useless and the only added value would come from the motion of the bv's, which is imo insufficient. 

just my 2 cents :)

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beolab 3's, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube (finally Stick out tongue )

https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Old: Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
1,889 Posts
Gold Member

Hi,

I'm off to listen to the Stage on Friday and I will video the results ;-)

I can confirm that it can be used as a speaker with any classic B&O audio system, you can see the cables for this here: https://soundsheavenly.com/search?controller=search&s=stage

I will be interested to see how the processing delay within the Stage affects the analogue line input, so I will be doing some tests to simulate using the Stage with the headphone socket of an older TV to see if this is workable.  The delay won't be a problem for audio use in most situations.

Video report to follow over the weekend!

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

pauliander
Not Ranked
58 Posts
Bronze Member
I kind of agree with js. While being an interesting product it is unfortunate that the stage is not intended for the main room. If the stage would be Wisa capable that would solve the problem I guess. Maybe they could make a more costly Wisa capable variant? That would complete the B&O range of Wisa speakers.
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,429 Posts
Bronze Member

The BS Stage is not a speaker - it is an audiosystem with an additional HDMI/ARC connection and Dolby Surround processing.....because the main focus is on sound from a tv. When used with an LG-C9 and when BeoRemote One controlled, it also need a ethernet connection tv <-> soundbar.

There is no way that could be wireless/WiSA-enabled.

Like with most other current BeoSounds there is an analog input port - no problems there for pure audio.

We will see, from the tests, that Steve makes, how good that works, if you intend to use i as a (e.g. center) speaker using the analog in..

It is not just a matter of delay from the audio processing in the soundbar, but also a matter of what the processing does to the sound.

It may be hard to match that with the sound from the others speakers in a multichannel (3.0/5.0 etc etc) setup.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

gizze
Not Ranked
38 Posts
Bronze Member
gizze replied on Wed, Oct 23 2019 10:57 PM

I have to say, I was really looking forward to the new Stage. 

However, I can't believe they have not put a sub out on it.

I guess I need to try one at home, but I have never got really good results without a sub on any system, even full range 25hz capable speakers have always integrated better with a sub. 

Looking forward to trying it though. 

gizze
Not Ranked
38 Posts
Bronze Member
gizze replied on Wed, Oct 23 2019 10:57 PM

I have to say, I was really looking forward to the new Stage. 

However, I can't believe they have not put a sub out on it.

I guess I need to try one at home, but I have never got really good results without a sub on any system, even full range 25hz capable speakers have always integrated better with a sub. 

Looking forward to trying it though. 

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
1,800 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Wed, Oct 23 2019 11:05 PM

Completely agree.

I dont quite understand why so many are trying to repurpose this as a centre speaker, when it has clearly been designed as a standalone product and not with this use in mind.  

Of course I understand that people want a centre speaker, WISA enabled or not, to use as part of a 5.1 setup with their existing BL's.

But the Stage is not it.

And I'm not keen on work arounds that dont fully use the products functionality and design.

Millemissen:

The BS Stage is not a speaker - it is an audiosystem with an additional HDMI/ARC connection and Dolby Surround processing.....because the main focus is on sound from a tv. When used with an LG-C9 and when BeoRemote One controlled, it also need a ethernet connection tv <-> soundbar.

There is no way that could be wireless/WiSA-enabled.

Like with most other current BeoSounds there is an analog input port - no problems there for pure audio.

We will see, from the tests, that Steve makes, how good that works, if you intend to use i as a (e.g. center) speaker using the analog in..

It is not just a matter of delay from the audio processing in the soundbar, but also a matter of what the processing does to the sound.

It may be hard to match that with the sound from the others speakers in a multichannel (3.0/5.0 etc etc) setup.

MM

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
2,415 Posts
Gold Member
Duels replied on Wed, Oct 23 2019 11:14 PM
Sandyb:

Completely agree.

I dont quite understand why so many are trying to repurpose this as a centre speaker, when it has clearly been designed as a standalone product and not with this use in mind.

Of course I understand that people want a centre speaker, WISA enabled or not, to use as part of a 5.1 setup with their existing BL's.

But the Stage is not it.

And I'm not keen on work arounds that dont fully use the products functionality and design.

+1
Mikipidia
Top 75 Contributor
1,584 Posts
Gold Member

having tested one on my channel I honestly can say that I don't think it needs a sub at all.

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beolab 3's, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube (finally Stick out tongue )

https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Old: Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

pauliander
Not Ranked
58 Posts
Bronze Member
The reason is simple. The large screen Beovision is too expensive, certainly if you compare it with a 77C9 which currently sells at 5000 euro. The Beovision offers a sound system, etc. but still... TV technology evolves very fast these days. So if you want go with another screen (as many will do I guess) and build a B&O surround sound system around it, you need a proper center speaker and a surround processor. Yes, a lot of people have invested considerable amounts in B&O speakers. These speakers now need to be integrated in new systems. The same applies for B&O based home theaters for which there is still a market given the available Wisa technology. Unfortunately B&O has not come up with practical solutions for these client groups.
Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
581 Posts
Bronze Member

The Harmony will be lowered in price in the same rate, as you can just buy a C9 panel elsewhere or the B&O shops will discount the prices. So it is 100% transparents what you pay for the B&O part.

Since B&O have proven this concept with the Harmony, it would only be naturally to come with a Soundbar with same options.

And this have been rumoured long that it will arrive next year.

So hold your horses and dont try to make the Stage anything else than it is.

But dont expect a price similar to the Stage. 

Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1 Google assist, Beoplay M3, Beoplay H6, Beoplay Earset 

Page 2 of 5 (62 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL