rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 2 Followers

RobN
Not Ranked
49 Posts
Bronze Member
RobN posted on Thu, Oct 10 2019 9:56 AM

Dear All,

I'd like to start a discussion on how best to connect a modern Mac set-up to an established MasterLink set-up. It would be great if we could harvest the great knowledge and experience of Beoworld.

This question is prompted by the release of MacOS Catalina, which has split the previous function of iTunes into three distinct applications: Music, TV and Podcasts. Two decades of iTunes comes to an end and so does my well established set-up of playing music from my Mac-Mini (via a DACMagic D2A) to a BeoLink PC2 then onwards via MasterLink to many rooms in my house, that contain a Beosound 9000, BeoCenter 6-26, Beovision 7-32 etc. All reliant on BM-Link running on the Mac.

BM-Link will not be upgraded, I've been in direct contact with Anders Odlund who wrote it and quite reasonably his life has moved on and he no longer even has the B&O kit to develop and test the software, let alone the desire to do so.

So, apologies for the long intro, that raises the question: "If you have a significant investment in the generation of B&O that uses MasterLink how best to connect a Mac stacked with thousands of music albums to be able to control the source in each room and listen to your chosen track?

Any/all thoughts would be most welcome?

Best,

Rob

All Replies

trackbeo
Top 500 Contributor
226 Posts
Bronze Member

Of course the unhelpful answer -- but possibly the best answer -- is simply not to upgrade your Mac OS.  My MacMini3,1 still works just fine, running iTunes 10.7 on OSX 10.6.8 -- including new purchases from Apple's store. [Edit: But it no longer does song previews; opens stream but will not play.]

If you *must* upgrade for some reason, buy a brand-new Mini to run Catalina and keep your old one for music, household control, and running the old version of QuickBooks!  (Run it headless, screen-shared in an always-open window on the new Mac: your "entertainment" window).  Echoing your significant investment in an old generation of B&O gear by maintaining your old Apple gear in stasis seems like a no-brainer.  A new Mac Mini is the easiest purchase you could make to maintain that status quo.

RobN
Not Ranked
49 Posts
Bronze Member
RobN replied on Thu, Oct 10 2019 5:33 PM

Hi Trackbeo,

Yes, thanks, not upgrading the iTunes music server is one option, it's just I use the Mac for other work related functions and having the latest apps keeps me compatible with others. This can be solved, as you say, by buying another MacMini. Quite a pricey solution and also one that might give security concerns in months to come when Mojave doesn't get updated, so the iTunes music server might become vulnerable.

Thanks for the suggestion, which is my fall-back if I can't find a technical way around BM-Link not talking to Music.

Best,

Rob

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
1,399 Posts
Gold Member
TWG replied on Fri, Oct 11 2019 9:25 AM

trackbeo:

Of course the unhelpful answer -- but possibly the best answer -- is simply not to upgrade your Mac OS. 

Currently it's indeed the most helpful answer to those upgrades!
For example professional audio equipment copmanies (like AKAI professional, Native Instruments, Pioneer DJ, Denon professional etc. ) are WARNING Mac Os users not to upgrade their computers as the updates means trouble. 
The companies suggest not to update until drivers etc. are updated, too and the equipment can work as usual.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL