Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

BM-Link and Catalina

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 1 Follower

tb59427
Not Ranked
26 Posts
Bronze Member
tb59427 posted on Sun, Sep 15 2019 12:09 PM

Hi all,

has anyone tried MacOS Catalina (beta)? Have you checked how BM-Link behaves in the absence of iTunes? Will it continue to work with the iTunes successors?

regards

Torsten

All Replies

RobN
Not Ranked
49 Posts
Bronze Member
RobN replied on Wed, Oct 9 2019 2:16 PM

Hi Torsten,

I’m just looking into this now. I’ve upgraded a MacBook to Catalina to test if BM-Link works okay, before upgrading my main music server (MAC Mini linked to DACMagic D2A).

First signs not encouraging. BM-Link runs fine & speakers can be turned on/off at command, but new Music app doesn’t start playing. It appears the loss of the iTunes app may have broken that function...

I will investigate further & report back.

best,

Rob

RobN
Not Ranked
49 Posts
Bronze Member
RobN replied on Wed, Oct 9 2019 2:53 PM

Hi Torsten,

On further investigation it’s as I suspected, BM-Link cannot connect to the new Music app at all.

I’ve tried rebooting the Mac, reconnecting the BeoLink PC2, starting the Music app and BM-Link app in different orders. Always the same result, BM-Link starts good as gold, the attached BeoLab 4000s power up and down in response to Beo4 commands, but nothing happens in the Music app. Not 9nly does Music not start or stop playing the track it left off from when the BM-Link is activated, skip track (back or forward) and skip album (back or forward) don’t work.

I did try to rename the Music.app as iTunes.app, as a rather desparate measure, but permissions stopped me.

Unless anyone else has a better idea I think we all need to contact anders@odlund.se (who wrote BM-Link) and ask if he’d be kind enough to look at this for us? I don’t think he’s been actively updating the app for some time, so this might be a big ask.

Best,

Rob

RobN
Not Ranked
49 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Not Verified) RobN replied on Thu, Oct 10 2019 8:15 AM
Suggested by RobN

Hi Torsten & everyone,

I’ve received an email from Anders Ödlund who wrote BM-Link and it’s unfortunately not good news. He no longer lives in our part of the world and has no B&O equipment to develop or test an upgrade of the software. Consequently, I sadly conclude we’ve reached the end of the road with BM-Link when upgrading to Catalina.

The only temporary work-around is not to upgrade the music server running MacOS to Catalina until you absolutely have to. By then I hope our great community will have found an alternative way to feed music from Music running on MacOS Catalina into MasterLink.

Any ideas would be very welcome, I’ll start a new thread to see if anyone has the solution.

Best regards,

Rob

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL