Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 31 Replies | 0 Followers

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
533 Posts
Bronze Member
Geoff Martin posted on Thu, Sep 12 2019 12:13 PM

Hi,

I'm lazily looking for the quickest way to get some information I need... and I suspect that the solution lies here in BeoWorld...

The setup:

• Today, the volume control standard (on, for example, a BeoVision television) ranges from 0 to 90 with a step size (resolution) of 1.
  • Once-upon-a-time, that range was 0 to 72 with a step size of 2 (even-numbers only).
  • Before that, it was 0.0 to 6.0 (e.g. BeoMaster 9000)

My questions:

1. What were the first and last B&O products released with the 0 to 72 standard?
  2. Other than the BeoMaster 9000, were there other B&O  products that used the 0.0 to 6.0 standard?
  3. Were there other scales on other products? Or was everything else an analogue knob/slider?
  4. What was the step size of the BeoMaster 9000?

Thanks for your help!

-geoff

All Replies

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
10,974 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Thu, Sep 12 2019 12:38 PM

What's a BeoMaster 9000?

Beomaster 8000 (without capitol m) has 0.0-6.0 with a step size of 0.1

Martin

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,599 Posts
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Thu, Sep 12 2019 12:47 PM

80s bm5000 was 0 to 6 iirc

Ban boring signatures!

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
533 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Martin,

Oops... two mistakes in one name! "BeoMaster" out of Habit and "9000" because I'm typing too fast and relying on copy/paste too much...

But thanks for your answer. That's a start...

chEers
-geOff 

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
1,579 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Thu, Sep 12 2019 1:32 PM

Using Beolink 5000, the volume scale on my BC9500 is 0 to 98 with a step size of 2 Smile

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
533 Posts
Bronze Member

Guy:

Using Beolink 5000, the volume scale on my BC9500 is 0 to 98 with a step size of 2 Smile

Ooooh! Cool! A new one that I didn't know about!

Thanks!
- g  

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
3,554 Posts
Founder

Beomaster 6500: 0-78, steps 2.

Beomaster 5000: 0.0 - 6.0 steps 0.2

politician
Top 500 Contributor
108 Posts
Bronze Member

My 1975 Beomaster 6000 (quadraphonic) has touch switches and mechanical controls, and the volume range runs from 0 to 12.

BeoFrederic
Top 500 Contributor
78 Posts
Gold Member

BeoSound 4000:  volume reads 00-72,  increments by 2 .

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
533 Posts
Bronze Member

This info is great! Thanks!

I'll start making a spreadsheet with the info...

Cheers
-g 

trackbeo
Top 500 Contributor
226 Posts
Bronze Member

Geoff Martin:
Guy:

But does the BeoCenter 9500 actually play different volume levels for all those steps on the remote?  There are only 38 presses from no-bars to max-bars using its front panel.  Oddly, the number of presses needed to go from one bar to the next is 3 for the lower levels, but only 2 for the higher ones!  (Excluding the first of course, 1 press from no bars to one bar.)

EDIT: It's actually 39 presses -- you can "turn it up to eleven", because the last press is invisible (max bars +1 level, only obvious when you go backwards).  Why 39 Steps?  Maybe the engineer was an Alfred Hitchcock fan...

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,490 Posts
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Sep 13 2019 4:19 PM

trackbeo:

Geoff Martin:
Guy:

But does the BeoCenter 9500 actually play different volume levels for all those steps on the remote?  There are only 38 presses from no-bars to max-bars using its front panel.  Oddly, the number of presses needed to go from one bar to the next is 3 for the lower levels, but only 2 for the higher ones!  (Excluding the first of course, 1 press from no bars to one bar.)

EDIT: It's actually 39 presses -- you can "turn it up to eleven", because the last press is invisible (max bars +1 level, only obvious when you go backwards).

Interesting thread. Also of interest, in addition to how many steps/granularity of the control, what is the taper on all of them and is it mostly the same or not. From the above, it seems to be some kind of non-linear, log taper, which is normal for volume controls, but what is the taper? How did it change, if it did, was there a different design philosophy behind each system. Or did it depend on what the taper was of whatever component was used for the volume control?

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

trackbeo
Top 500 Contributor
226 Posts
Bronze Member

trackbeo:
Guy:
But does the BeoCenter 9500 actually play different volume levels for all those steps on the remote?  There are only 38 presses

Double-check: The BeoLink 5000 will arrow-up from 0 to 98, but once it communicates status with the Beocenter 9500 after doing so, its display reverts to 78.

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
1,579 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Fri, Sep 13 2019 11:14 PM

trackbeo:

Double-check: The BeoLink 5000 will arrow-up from 0 to 98, but once it communicates status with the Beocenter 9500 after doing so, its display reverts to 78.

Oh yes, indeed it does!  But perhaps that's the speaker overload protection cutting in? I will check the apparent volume tomorrow when the household is awake!

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
533 Posts
Bronze Member

Jeff:

Interesting thread. Also of interest, in addition to how many steps/granularity of the control, what is the taper on all of them and is it mostly the same or not. From the above, it seems to be some kind of non-linear, log taper, which is normal for volume controls, but what is the taper? How did it change, if it did, was there a different design philosophy behind each system. Or did it depend on what the taper was of whatever component was used for the volume control?

Hi Jeff,

This is basically what I'm trying to reverse-engineer... Of course, I know the behaviour of the current products, but I'm trying to find out how it intersects / overlaps with the older products. THis is happening in conjunction with some conversations with some colleagues who worked on the older products to find out the reasons behind the different scales.

Cheers
-geoff

Page 1 of 3 (32 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL