rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 17 Replies | 1 Follower

ouverture
Top 500 Contributor
London
254 Posts
Bronze Member
ouverture posted on Mon, Sep 9 2019 8:04 PM

just had my 8002 serviced and set it up with my excellent Graham Slee phono pre, listening away to some of my favourite LP's yesterday night and in between tracks I can hear what sounds like a window wiper noise that you would get in your car, I then got my AKG headphones out, and I can hear it even clearer with the headphones, and even during the track, so it is there all the time throughout playing the record, its the same with every record I play, maybe scraping the platter or bearings could be causing it  ?

I read this just now on the site

https://www.beoworld.org/prod_details.asp?pid=307

Have also learned that the 8002 does not have a central bearing like belt driven players, it drives the platter not by a conventional motor, but by a unique tangential-drive system that has no moving parts and no physical contact with the turntable.

Has anyone in the past heard what I'm hearing, and if so how did you fix it,, it's driving me nuts :-) 

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,175 Posts
Gold Member
Verified by ouverture

Is the floating suspension fully free? By that I mean are all three floating suspension locking screws completely disengaged?

If they are then I would check the subplatter and make sure it isn't rubbing against something. By your description it has to be something related to the platter rotation.

The platter breaking on the Beogram 800x is electronic so if that is somehow a culprit then the fix there is electrical.

-sonavor

All Replies

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,175 Posts
Gold Member

I just read Martin's post above. The sound could indeed be from the tangential drive motor. It typically advances the tonearm assembly every revolution. 
You will be able to tell more easily playing a record with the Beogram in the service position.

-sonavor

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
11,058 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Tue, Sep 10 2019 9:18 PM

Is it consistent with the platter rotation?
Record scraping on the surrounding surface (suspension set too low)?

Martin

ouverture
Top 500 Contributor
London
254 Posts
Bronze Member

yes Dillen, but it must be scraping on two high spots, as the noise can be heard every second, so on a 33 rpm record, there must be two high spots I would think :-) 

the more I listen the more I think this is it !

Page 2 of 2 (18 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL