Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 21 Replies | 2 Followers

mbolo01
Top 75 Contributor
Annecy - France
1,102 Posts
Gold Member
mbolo01 posted on Sun, Sep 8 2019 9:26 AM

Dear users.

I'm using PMS on my QNAP NAS and I'm not able to stream ALAC music files to any B&O products via DLNA, while I can through other DLNA media servers such as Twonky or Minimserver running on the same QNAP NAS.

The only music i can stream using PMS DLNA are MP3 files

When trying with the APP, I receive an error message saying that the track cannot be inserted in the playing queue, using Twonky UI (selecting PMS DLNA as source and B&O product as target), I receive "Device cannot play this content" message back.

Has anyone be successful in streaming ALAC to B&O product through PMS DLNA?

Thanks

BS Moment, BS Core, BS Ouverture, BG 4002, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

All Replies

Carolpa
Top 100 Contributor
847 Posts
Bronze Member

See

https://support.plex.tv/articles/203810286-what-media-formats-are-supported/

steve1977
Top 150 Contributor
705 Posts
Bronze Member
I’m a heavy DLNA and also a heavy Plex user.

Unfortunately, the plex dlna server is rather poorly implemented (not following the dlna standard), so i don’t use. I’m using minimserver instead.
mbolo01
Top 75 Contributor
Annecy - France
1,102 Posts
Gold Member

steve1977:
I’m a heavy DLNA and also a heavy Plex user.

Unfortunately, the plex dlna server is rather poorly implemented (not following the dlna standard), so i don’t use. I’m using minimserver instead.

Thanks guys, wanted to be sure that it was not an issue on my side only. I'll see if a DLNA profile can be written for B&O products.

@Steve: To resume our Moment discussion, having PLEX working properly as DLNA server for the Moment would also bring the ability for you (us) to self manage artist's images at the same time, and for me to avoid the multiplication of DLNA servers .... I like Minimserver as it is the fastest/most flexible way to browse a collection with the B&O app and I like PLEX for its reach interface. If I could get read of Twonky, I would be happy.

BS Moment, BS Core, BS Ouverture, BG 4002, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

steve1977
Top 150 Contributor
705 Posts
Bronze Member
Agree. I’d also be very happy to get rid of minimserver and have it all consolidated in plex.

Unfortunately, i’m not as hopeful. Glider also doesn’t work well / doesn’t work at all with plex. I’d been in touch with the glider developer who’s been very helpful. but didn’t have high hopes to get plex to work due to their non-traditional implementation of dlna.

Also, plex still does not allow playlist support.

So, while i’d love to integrate it all in plex, i don’t see it happening.

The plex ios and tvos apps are very good though.

I’m running minimserver as docker, which is quite light.

The minimserver developer is also quite active. I may drop a note on the forum to see whether the artist support could get integrated.
mbolo01
Top 75 Contributor
Annecy - France
1,102 Posts
Gold Member

Steve: I’d been in touch with the glider developer who’s been very helpful. but didn’t have high hopes to get plex to work due to their non-traditional implementation of dlna.
Mbolo: He is indeed, I had very good exchanges with him too, unfortunately Glider and B&O products are not talking very well together.

Steve: Also, plex still does not allow playlist support.
Mbolo: should not be a big thing to implement in their DLNA server as the playlist feature exists withing their UI

Steve: The plex ios and tvos apps are very good though.
Mbolo: yes they are, from time to time I cast to my B&O products

Steve: I’m running minimserver as docker, which is quite light.
Mbolo: running it natively does not hit my NAS as other media servers do to be honest.

Steve: The minimserver developer is also quite active. I may drop a note on the forum to see whether the artist support could get integrated.
Mbolo: Would you mind asking for a "Recently Added" option? I think it has been asked a couple of time in the Minim forum, but not implemented yet.

steve1977
Top 150 Contributor
705 Posts
Bronze Member
Agree.

Let me pile on the existing one thread on “recently added”. Agree it would be good a good addition.

The feature request of playlist import support is around for many years and some folks on the forum are quite emotional. So doubt plex will ever implement it in their gui. Thry could have long, but i believe they prefer not to.

What’s your issue with glider and b&o? Airplay and CCA are both well supported. It doesn’t stream gapless, but neither does our very own moment.
mbolo01
Top 75 Contributor
Annecy - France
1,102 Posts
Gold Member

steve1977:

What’s your issue with glider and b&o? Airplay and CCA are both well supported. It doesn’t stream gapless, but neither does our very own moment.

It was back in May 2018, I tried to leverage the Glider DLNA controller to stream to the Moment which does not have Airplay nor CCA as you know. At that time Glider's communication with the Moment was not fluid enough to be adopted and the app was crashing very often.

Carolpa
Top 100 Contributor
847 Posts
Bronze Member

steve1977:
Agree. I’d also be very happy to get rid of minimserver and have it all consolidated in plex.
Looking in comparison at the specs, the possibilities & qualities of Minimserver with Plex (as Music DNLA server) I would certainly do the opposite and keep Minimserver and dump the Plex server as Music server.
steve1977:
I may drop a note on the forum to see whether the artist support could get integrated.
A question already asked in January this year. But please ask again, it will keep the attention.

steve1977
Top 150 Contributor
705 Posts
Bronze Member

mbolo01:
It was back in May 2018, I tried to leverage the Glider DLNA controller to stream to the Moment which does not have Airplay nor CCA as you know. At that time Glider's communication with the Moment was not fluid enough to be adopted and the app was crashing very often.

I never thought of this use case. This would actually be great, but pity to see that it is not functioning well.

In fact, Glider is no longer actively developed (the developer joined Apple), so I don't anticipate any further improvement.

Unfortunately, I don't see any other DNA APP being able to replace Glider. They are either buggy or have a horrible UI.

In short, I'll need to rely on the Moment for DLNA, which is working surprisingly well and has a reasonably goo UI (though a bit slow).

steve1977
Top 150 Contributor
705 Posts
Bronze Member

Carolpa:
I would certainly do the opposite and keep Minimserver and dump the Plex server as Music server

That's what I currently do. Not ideal as I prefer not to use two apps, but doable. Also not so easy as - while minimserver is exceptional - there is no solid client since Glider stopped developing. As shared above, the Moment sortof does the trick and works very well with minimserver.

Carolpa:
A question already asked in January this year. But please ask again, it will keep the attention.

I have piled on the minimserver both about "recently added albums" as well as "hosting artist covers". Simon - the developer - immediately replied and it seems on the development roadmap. Maybe you can chime in as well asn offer testing help?

https://forum.minimserver.com/showthread.php?tid=5372&page=2

https://forum.minimserver.com/showthread.php?tid=5368

mbolo01
Top 75 Contributor
Annecy - France
1,102 Posts
Gold Member

Great news indeed! I'll register and volunteer to beta test Minim features

I'm currently working on building a B&O PLEX profile, we will see if I manage to have something working !!!

mbolo01
Top 75 Contributor
Annecy - France
1,102 Posts
Gold Member

mbolo01:

I'm currently working on building a B&O PLEX profile, we will see if I manage to have something working !!!

Bingo! I managed to build a profile for my M3 and I can now stream my ALAC tracks from PLEX to B&O M3

Sep 09, 2019 09:54:51.514 [0x7f5fe9fc5700] DEBUG - Mapped client to profile BO M3 using header User-Agent: ModernHttpClient/1.0 BangOlufsen/2.8.0.22527

... working now on fine tuning bitrate limitations and next a generic B&O profile.

If it works, I'll try to have the Moment leveraging PLEX for DLNA and Artist's image.

steve1977
Top 150 Contributor
705 Posts
Bronze Member

How do you use it? You select the music and then stream from the Plex APP to the M3? And then use the B&O app to have other B&O speakers join?

mbolo01
Top 75 Contributor
Annecy - France
1,102 Posts
Gold Member

steve1977:

How do you use it? You select the music and then stream from the Plex APP to the M3? And then use the B&O app to have other B&O speakers join?

I would love to do it this way for DLNA, but unfortunately the PLEX app is not a DLNA controller (or I missed something).
With PLEX App I can only trigger Chromecast stream to B&O products, or group of products, which I do from time to time, or Airplay (which I never use).

The goal here is to configure the Moment to use PLEX DLNA for Music and Photos in order to get rid of Twonky and being left with Minimserver and PLEX only.

The way I test is to add PLEX as a DLNA server in the B&O App and stream to B&O products.

For now I'm fighting to build the profile so no transcode happens and bitrate is the one set in the music file.

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL